Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Georgia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More of my S22 review

Been doing my best to try and answer questions as well as provide as many comparison pics as possible. As stated in a previous post, MacBook Airs/Pros made after late 2016 fit better than the older models I. Regards to the laptop compartment. I went to an Apple retailer and tried it out and there was a distinct difference in retrieval between the older and newer models.

I also noticed that if you have a 12.9Ē iPad Pro it will fit in the compartment without a case but if you put an Otterbox Defender on it then itís a no-go. It will work with a Smart Cover but anything thicker and you run into problems.

I did not try the pass through system since there are already posts regarding it and I know that I wonít be using the S22 in that manner (I would carry it the traditional way).

If you have the pack half full it tends to tip forward...at least in my experience.

Side Effect fits in the bottom but not if it is packed to the gills with hard items...softer, squishier items that donít overload the SE are preferable. I tried this with an Original Halcyon SE so it has more give than other fabrics.

The bottle pocket fits my 18oz Yeti Rambler but accessing it can be problematic if the side pockets are overpacked.

I packed the S22 with the same items that I carried in my L12. The L12 definitely felt heavier and not as comfortable (the straps make a difference). I also took off the waist belt as I havenít needed it yet but I will say I prefer the padded one to the plain webbed belt especially since I have an injured back & neck.

Inside the SE is a portable charger, iPod Nano, Powerbeats Pro in case, cable and ear tips for the Pro and other accessories for my phone.

Here is a comparison of the S22 and the SA (for those who may have seen or own one). The SA is 26 liters with very little organization. This particular one is made of Black Halcyon so it can expand a little more.

I havenít packed it with clothes yet but I will when I go to TX (8/7). Iím debating whether to use the tie-downs or some packing cubes. Since itís only for a few days I may use my PCSB, Side Kick and SE as packing cubes/bags within the S22.

Hope this helps. If you need more info hit me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Go forward and never lose sight of your dream."

LCB in Navy/Cayenne; MCB in Nordic/Wasabi; SSB in UV & Black Halcyon; LSB in Island Halcyon; Swift in Black/Steel; LS in Aubergine/Island; SE in Original Halcyon/Wasabi & Nordic Halcyon/UV; Pilot in Black/Wasabi; FJN in Grey & Navy; PCSB in Black Halcyon; TT in Monarch, Sitka, UV, Island, Wasabi & Black, L12: Nebulous Gray/Island and PT in Deep Blue.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this! I'm curious what cubes and stuff sacks fit in the redesigned side pockets. My older S19 basically only fits a size one stuff sack in there. Any chance size 2 SS will go? A 3DOC? Cubelet?

Georgia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    Thanks for this! I'm curious what cubes and stuff sacks fit in the redesigned side pockets. My older S19 basically only fits a size one stuff sack in there. Any chance size 2 SS will go? A 3DOC? Cubelet?
    Hi @Lia! Here is the S22 with the items you asked about. Looking at the pic on the right is a TSS 1 and the left is a TSS 2 and both fit with no problems.

Here is a 3DOC

When full the 3DOC may take up space from the bottle pocket (and vice versa).

I also tried a small Travel Tray.

It fit no problem at all. Since I couldnít find my size 3 TSS, I used my mostly empty size 4 to give you another perspective.

Able to zip no problem at all and finally the Cubelet

Again it fits but if completely full it will may using the bottle pocket a little more difficult.

LCB in Navy/Cayenne; MCB in Nordic/Wasabi; SSB in UV & Black Halcyon; LSB in Island Halcyon; Swift in Black/Steel; LS in Aubergine/Island; SE in Original Halcyon/Wasabi & Nordic Halcyon/UV; Pilot in Black/Wasabi; FJN in Grey & Navy; PCSB in Black Halcyon; TT in Monarch, Sitka, UV, Island, Wasabi & Black, L12: Nebulous Gray/Island and PT in Deep Blue.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's definitely more capacious than the old design! Another reason to be psyched about this bag. :-D

Forum Member
    Chicago, IL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for this review, tuskegee! Do you find that when it's packed, it narrows out at the top (as opposed to being wide/flat at the top and more square in shape when empty)? I'm thinking of the photos you had posted earlier when it was empty and being worn; any chance of some photos of it being worn while packed?

I prefer the more 'true' shape of the pack (i.e., not the more square shape), and am trying to decide if getting the Synik in halcyon would help keep this shape while empty since it's not as stiff, or if it wouldn't make much of a difference at all.

Thank you very much again for all of the detail and photos you've posted!

Georgia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by STX21 View Post
    Thanks so much for this review, tuskegee! Do you find that when it's packed, it narrows out at the top (as opposed to being wide/flat at the top and more square in shape when empty)? I'm thinking of the photos you had posted earlier when it was empty and being worn; any chance of some photos of it being worn while packed?

I prefer the more 'true' shape of the pack (i.e., not the more square shape), and am trying to decide if getting the Synik in halcyon would help keep this shape while empty since it's not as stiff, or if it wouldn't make much of a difference at all.

Thank you very much again for all of the detail and photos you've posted!
    Here are some pics of me wearing the S22 with what I normally carry: iPad Pro, Beats Studio 3ís, keys, wallet, change purse, Side Effect, knitting and 18oz Yeti Rambler.

Iím 5í7Ē and a little fluffy lol. This is how I would normally carry my pack since I have herniated discs.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! I feel lucky to have a reviewer the same size and shape as me to model. :-D I am so ready to buy this bag.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for your added comprehensive review with all the pictures, including the modeling ones.

It looks like the S22 is the perfect size up to the S19, and not as big as the S25 with roomier pockets and main compartment.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VERY helpful info. Thank you, Tuskegee!
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskegee7294 View Post
    I havenít packed it with clothes yet but I will when I go to TX (8/7). Iím debating whether to use the tie-downs or some packing cubes. Since itís only for a few days I may use my PCSB, Side Kick and SE as packing cubes/bags within the S22.
    This helps a lot! And Iím curious how this setup is working for you for TX?

Thanks from a fellow Atlantan :)
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Georgia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBru View Post
    This helps a lot! And Iím curious how this setup is working for you for TX?

Thanks from a fellow Atlantan :)
    Here was my setup for TX, which is where I am right now lol. My S22 is fully loaded so there was no space for my iPad Pro.

Hereís everything unpacked

Travel wise I would use the S22 for like a two day adventure max and of course for EDC but for anything longer I would prefer a bigger bag. I had no problem fitting everything in my SA but I needed to take the S22 out and see what it could do as a travel bag.

I used a large packing cube from REI for my clothes (main compartment), a PCSB (main compartment) for my flip flops and a SE for my toiletries (bottom pocket). My iPad Pro and Kindle Oasis were in my MCB and my Beats Studio 3ís along with a hoodie and snacks were in my Pop Tote. Iíll use the Pop Tote for my dirty laundry and use the S22 for the convention and sightseeing.

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskegee7294 View Post
    Here was my setup for TX, which is where I am right now lol. My S22 is fully loaded so there was no space for my iPad Pro.

Here’s everything unpacked
    Thanks, this is what I needed to see! I was hoping my daughter could maybe 2 bag it with this and a MCB for 3 weeks in Asia but it looks a bit tight, so I think it will be the SN30 in my shopping cart since we primarily use computers in the home office. Have a safe rest of your trip!
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友