Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Norway
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another question about the straps (sorry if you have already adressed this): how wide are they at the widest point? I am hoping the Synik can replace my Goruck, and the thick and wide straps on it are probably the best feature for me.

Thanks for the review as well as the follow-ups; it’s very helpful!
    Last edited by Pahs; 08-02-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pahs View Post
    Another question about the straps (sorry if you have already adressed this): how wide are they at the widest point? I am hoping the Synik can replace my Goruck, and the thick and wide straps on it are probably the best feature for me.

Thanks for the review as well as the follow-ups; it’s very helpful!
    At the very top, they're about 2 5/8" wide
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Norway
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrific. Thank you so much, G42!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this very helpful review. I was in Seattle last week and got to see these bags in person, but only for a few minutes. I was ready to buy a Synik 30 on the spot, even without my dream color combination (Black Halcyon / Island Halcyon).

Can you comment on the placement of the logo? In your pictures, the logo appears to be misaligned. I marked up one of your pictures to make it clear what I'm talking about:

Synik 30 Review: The New Pack for You?-logo-placement-png

I recognize that this is partially a function of the load out, but the "sight lines" for the logo placement and curved portion of the lower compartment zipper are really throwing me for a loop. I think that the black logo patch against the grey exterior exacerbates this – it didn't jump out at me on the black and navy parapack bags I saw in the factory like it does in these pictures, and now I can't unsee this.

@darcy –*How much would a custom "alternate logo placement" option cost? :-)

Thanks!

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idbjorh View Post
    I recognize that this is partially a function of the load out, but the "sight lines" for the logo placement and curved portion of the lower compartment zipper are really throwing me for a loop. I think that the black logo patch against the grey exterior exacerbates this it didn't jump out at me on the black and navy parapack bags I saw in the factory like it does in these pictures, and now I can't unsee this.
    I think that's not just partially but entirely a function of how the bag is loaded, the curved seams above and below the label, and also the angle from which the picture was taken. I just took a close look at the label on my own Nebulous Grey/Island Synik 22 and the label is parallel with the bottom of the bag (it's even lined up with the threads of the Ballistic nylon, which is more precision than I expect from anyone!). Depending on the angle, though, the curved seams above and below can make it look like it's off in one direction or the other.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synik 30 Review: The New Pack for You?

Quote Originally Posted by idbjorh View Post
    I recognize that this is partially a function of the load out, but the "sight lines" for the logo placement and curved portion of the lower compartment zipper are really throwing me for a loop. I think that the black logo patch against the grey exterior exacerbates this it didn't jump out at me on the black and navy parapack bags I saw in the factory like it does in these pictures, and now I can't unsee this.
    Check this pic out - not loaded much at all and as direct a view as I could get it:

Now the lower front pocket loaded (below):

I agree with @aedifica, the label appearing off is a function of the load, the curved seams above and below, and the off center view (it was cropped from the original picture, which had another bag next to this one).

Edited to Add: The 2nd pic with the loaded out front bottom pocket.
    Last edited by imagineez; 08-03-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm the only one who actually really much prefers the new logo placement ;)
    Silly as is... I'd have been even happier if Tom Bihn would have made that a velcro section with a Tom Bihn patch by default on it, but replaceable by my own if I wanted.
    but still, the new placement seems much more subtle to me than the top-centre.....

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgentile View Post
    I think I'm the only one who actually really much prefers the new logo placement ;)
    but still, the new placement seems much more subtle to me than the top-centre.....
    @dgentile, you are not alone. :) I appreciate the subtlety of the new logo placement. I don't mind its being identifiable as a TB bag at all, but I appreciate that the logo is not the most immediately noticeable aspect of the bag.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it too, but for a different reason: I really appreciate that the different logo placement makes it easy to tell at a glance whether I'm looking at a Synapse or a Synik. I'm sure it makes it easier for the TB crew, too!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Silly as is... I'd have been even happier if Tom Bihn would have made that a velcro section with a Tom Bihn patch by default on it, but replaceable by my own if I wanted.
    I wonder why some people in this forum like to have a logo at the center of a bag. I don't want to have any logo on the externals of the bags; just a simple, clean look.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgets View Post
    I wonder why some people in this forum like to have a logo at the center of a bag. I don't want to have any logo on the externals of the bags; just a simple, clean look.
    I'm the odd one out ... I just don't care either way about the logos as long as they are not screamingly obvious (ie, huge and a startling contrast colour)...
    I generally filter out/ignore advertisements and logos
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgets View Post
    I agree with you. I'd much prefer no logo. But if I have to have one, this bag screams for a symmetrical look to me :)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I PERSONALLY DON'T LIKE TOM BIHN SCREAMING AT ME IN ALL CAPS LIKE A BAD EMAIL. :)
    I also wish the font was not so large, skinny and plain (no pun intended!). The red airplane is cute, but clashes with half the colors sold. Would not be a problem if the whole label was smaller and not put in such a prominent place on most of the bags. As branding, the whole label would work just as well at half the size, and not be so off-putting to some folks.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Mars Red GES25 so the logo kind of blends onto it ;) (and its placement is on the bottom right too)
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, the unique zipper pattern is what catches my eye anyway and makes the synapse family immediately identifiable at a distance, not the tag, the tag is just confirmation to go up to the person and complement him on his bag choice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast