Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the very helpful review. I can tell from these pics that I won't be using the tie-downs (so it's good they're removable). I've been packing clamshell backpacks for years without tie-downs, and don't really think I'm missing much. They don't actually compress the packing cubes (you could get compression cubes if you really wanted that) and in the case of the Synik, anything I want to access will be in an outside pocket anyway, so the security of tying down cubes isn't as important.

Also, strapeez...that's a great idea. I'm going to buy those instead of web dominators (which I have been using for years)...I'm convinced.

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
    Thank you for the very helpful review. I can tell from these pics that I won't be using the tie-downs (so it's good they're removable). I've been packing clamshell backpacks for years without tie-downs, and don't really think I'm missing much. They don't actually compress the packing cubes (you could get compression cubes if you really wanted that) and in the case of the Synik, anything I want to access will be in an outside pocket anyway, so the security of tying down cubes isn't as important.

Also, strapeez...that's a great idea. I'm going to buy those instead of web dominators (which I have been using for years)...I'm convinced.
    I think the only time I could think of using tie-downs, other than packing without using packing cubes, is if there were two layers of packing cubes and the top layer needed to be secured - so it wouldn't fall out unexpectedly when opening the clamshell in the middle of some busy train station or airport or somewhere. Hopefully there was better packing and planning to prevent this scenario from happening! Like you said, access to all your things from the outside pockets is a good strategy. I'm not sure if many are going to pack 2 layers of cubes as this can lead to overstuffing of the pack and limit options in what could be put elsewhere - like being able to use that main compartment pocket.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imagineez View Post
    @afstein

Your MacBook Pro 13" touchbar height is 0.59" or 1.49cm.
    My older Retina MacBook Pro 15" height is 0.71" or 1.8cm.

The basic 12.9" iPad Pro smart cover and the Smart keyboard cover height difference is very minimal (just the sleight height of the keys inside).

So like you pointed out, it all cancels out and your setup should fit fine inside the side laptop compartment. Plus you have a smaller laptop than I have, which would make some difference with fit too - in your favor.

The laptop compartment is suspended off the ground too (with the internal frame present). Plus there's a padded bottom on the bag.

You should be good.
    Hey imagineez,
    Could you post a pic of your MacBook Pro and iPad Pro fitting in the side laptop compartment? I stopped by the factory showroom a few days ago and spent a great amount of time with the Synik 30, and it was really hard to get both in and out. I think itís partly because of the surface of the keyboard cover and the photograph sticker i have on my laptop.
    Thanks, adam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synik 30 Laptop Compartment Demo (Video Link)

Quote Originally Posted by afstein View Post
    Hey imagineez,
    Could you post a pic of your MacBook Pro and iPad Pro fitting in the side laptop compartment? I stopped by the factory showroom a few days ago and spent a great amount of time with the Synik 30, and it was really hard to get both in and out. I think itís partly because of the surface of the keyboard cover and the photograph sticker i have on my laptop.
    Thanks, adam
    I took a video (one-handed) with my iPhone maneuvering both computer and tablet into and out of the laptop compartment. And I realized after the fact I should've recorded in landscape mode! Hopefully you get the gist. Here's a link to the video.
    Last edited by imagineez; 08-11-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imagineez View Post
    I took a video (one-handed) with my iPhone maneuvering both computer and tablet into and out of the laptop compartment. And I realized after the fact I should've recorded in landscape mode! Hopefully you get the gist. Here's a link to the video.
    Okay, to confirm one more time before tomorrow morning: I have the iPad Pro - 12.9 inch - with a Logitech keyboard/cover on it. Will this fit in the Synik 30 laptop compartment?

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aungrl View Post
    Okay, to confirm one more time before tomorrow morning: I have the iPad Pro - 12.9 inch - with a Logitech keyboard/cover on it. Will this fit in the Synik 30 laptop compartment?
    Your iPad with Logitech cover should be less than the 1.1Ē thickness of my iPad and MacBook Pro (Retina) combined, so YES your iPad should easily fit with the Logitech keyboard cover on it.

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím excited for everyone on this preorder! Iím seeing posts on Facebook of what people have pre-ordered and the colors theyíve chosen, and I can feel the excitement. :)

Itís been really fun to have this opportunity to review the Synik 30 ahead of time and answer any questions. I have been enjoying the process of getting to know this bag, and as I use this bag for even more scenarios, Iíll be sure to document them here. :)

Happy pre-ordering everyone! And excited for the few who can receive theirs as part of the pre-production batch when the preorder closes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so in your opinion the Synik 30 carries very similarly, even with the added depth, to the synapse 25?

I really appreciated the different loadout pictures too! when the synik is fully loaded it looks enormous and way too big as an EDC bag, but when minimally loaded it looks much more reasonable. Im also taller at around 6'2", so the synik 30 would probably make more sense than the 22 for me, size wise?

You also mention possibly switching to other bags for your EDC in the future over the synik, what other bags did you have in mind with that?

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arjunsw View Post
    so in your opinion the Synik 30 carries very similarly, even with the added depth, to the synapse 25?

I really appreciated the different loadout pictures too! when the synik is fully loaded it looks enormous and way too big as an EDC bag, but when minimally loaded it looks much more reasonable. Im also taller at around 6'2", so the synik 30 would probably make more sense than the 22 for me, size wise?

You also mention possibly switching to other bags for your EDC in the future over the synik, what other bags did you have in mind with that?
    I find for myself the Synik 30 has carried more comfortably, like thereís a more even distribution of weight. That might partly have to do with the integrated frame sheet and the softer new shoulder straps. For me, itís almost like the center of gravity has shifted so it just feels better overall with carrying heavier things like my laptop and ipad together.

Iíd definitely recommend the Synik 30 for your height. And yes, the Synik 30 looks very good and compressed when thereís not much in there. Even filled out, I would guess it would not look big on you. Iím fine using it for EDC and really love it for that. Iím in California, so there are weather changes throughout the day, so carrying a hoodie alongside all my other stuff is feasible now in the Synik 30 - when before in the S25 it would be a problem to fit that hoodie (merino wool) in.

Iíve been a fan of the shop bags and the pop tote lately, so if I ever feel like changing things out (and Iím just carrying my ipad), then thatís what I would do without fear of being labeled the ďbag guyĒ - like the ďbag ladyĒ - around town. :)

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some of my follow up impressions after 2-3 months using the SN30 as EDC:

The clamshell zipper has been no problem. In fact I forget it's even an option as I never open the bag fully, nor does it ever open fully on its own when accessing contents - even with a fully loaded out bag. My "muscle memory" knows where to stop with the zips, without ever really thinking about it.

Depending on your EDC, it is true this bag can feel bigger for that purpose. And luckily it compresses very well on its own.

And yet on days when I've had to carry more than I would ideally like - laptop 15", iPad 12.9", Side Effect with battery charger/cables/dongles, keyboard, computer/iPad stand, wallet/phone/keys, sweater or hoodie, noise-canceling headphones, small First Aid Kit - this bag has been a godsend. Why? Not only for the adequacy of space with a comfortable amount of space left over, but also because of the new shoulder straps and shift in that ďcenter of gravityĒ feel. For me, the straps have worked very well and don't seem to trigger pressure points that I've noticed when I'd used the other shoulder straps of the S25 on heavy load out days.

Having the side zipper laptop compartment has been a godsend for easy access to my laptop and iPad. On days when I don't take my laptop, I put my iPad and keyboard there together, for quick easy retrieval, which I love (without having to open the main compartment).

As a result of using this bag, some things have become more clear in my own personal preferences for the "perfect" bag setup. I mentioning them in case they might resonate with some of your own.

1) I really love clamshell (because of the flexibility for ease of access) for both EDC and travel. I'll stick to that now whenever possible.

2) I've noticed over time that a shorter but even a much heavier backpack (eg. the eBags professional slim backpack) is just as carryable and even more maneuverable for me compared to a taller yet lighter backpack (with the SN30 and S25 at 20" tall).

Bigger dimensional things just give me the feeling of it being more wieldy to pick up on the go and shift around on the fly.

This made me wonder if Tom Bihn could come up with an 18" tall backpack and still have that nice added depth of the SN30 and laptop compartment. Maybe they could add this size backpack to their Brain Bag line up (instead of the Synapse/Synik lines) as the little brother and have the 2 separate compartments (with a side access for laptop). This could be a size that would fit more people too. And meet the needs of a smaller backpack size that could fit larger laptops (I'm looking at you, Synik 22).

3) Speaking of 2 separate compartments, I also realized I like the idea of a whole separate laptop compartment from the main compartment. I don't know, I think it's because my organizing sensibilities prefer bigger things to be separated out. But that's just me. I do understand the design philosophy of Tom Bihn to save on weight and not unnecessarily add to the heft and build (and therefore the expense) of a bag.

4) If I never carried a laptop but just my iPad 12.9", I would have been fine with the S25 (especially with the updated water bottle pocket and side front pockets with more room inside them). I do hope the shoulder straps of the S25 are changed out to the new ones. The S25 with its lesser depth certainly fits a need for those with smaller EDC bag requirements. The S25 can be a nice middle ground for the TB choices out there now.

5) I have loved the added bottom padding and overall build of the Synik 30 in comparison to the S25. I'd always hesitated using the S25 for travel (despite its popularity for one bag travel), but not so with the Synik 30.

I haven't been able to use the SN30 as yet for travel, but will update as I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    NYC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for this thread! I just received my Synik 30 and I really, really like it for all the reasons I read about it here!

I also got a Freudian slip in the Synapse 25/Synik 30 size, and I’m less in love with that. It’s so TALL! I feel like if I’m not careful, the top part is going to end up bent and icky. I can’t decide if I might be happier exchanging it for something similar but smaller, like the Synapse 19/Synik 22 size. Does anybody have any thoughts about this in one direction or another? Partly I haven’t figured out what to use the Slip for, other than when I occasionally need to put a few papers/brochures in the bag and don’t want them to get crushed...

Thanks, friends.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    ...I haven’t figured out what to use the Slip for, other than when I occasionally need to put a few papers/brochures in the bag and don’t want them to get crushed....
    If that's all you're really trying to do, you might want to get a thin rigid plastic case... I have one from Staples or something that I carry only when I need it - it's similar to these:

https://www.amazon.com/Sets-of-3-Fil...2896899&sr=8-1
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Santa Cruz, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For carrying documents, brochures, and so on, this vertical organizer works very well and is also quite lightweight

https://www.amazon.com/C-Line-7-Pock...2911728&sr=8-1

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    Thank you so much for this thread! I just received my Synik 30 and I really, really like it for all the reasons I read about it here!

I also got a Freudian slip in the Synapse 25/Synik 30 size, and I’m less in love with that. It’s so TALL! I feel like if I’m not careful, the top part is going to end up bent and icky. I can’t decide if I might be happier exchanging it for something similar but smaller, like the Synapse 19/Synik 22 size. Does anybody have any thoughts about this in one direction or another? Partly I haven’t figured out what to use the Slip for, other than when I occasionally need to put a few papers/brochures in the bag and don’t want them to get crushed...

Thanks, friends.
    I’ve found the S19/SN22 Freudian Slip won’t bend and slouch like the S25/SN30 Freudian Slip. The smaller FS has worked well for me in the main compartment’s elastic pocket. But I agree, if all you’re using it for is papers, the ideas posted above might work better for you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4