Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synik 30 reviewed as travel bag

The timing of the Synik 30 couldnít be better for me. I am taking the kids away on a 9 day trip to Scotland with a lot of city bus and commuter rail travel. I want to downsize from my Heroís Journey, however I know from experience that my S25 will be too small. Will the extra five liters make a difference? Can I do this?

The Synik will need to hold clothes for the three of us, my flat sandals (not pictured), as well as toiletries and chargers. The kids will have backpacks (Luminary 12s) with their headphones and water shoes and Iíll have my Parental Unit as EDC.

Initial impressions

-The Synik30 in Aubergine/NWS is beautiful. I really like the different placement of the logo.
    -The zippers are so beefy I have no worries about the clamshell design undoing itself if partially unzipped.

Test pack

This is what I want to pack in it:
    -Three Small A30 Laundry Cubes; one per person
    -Two small Eagle Creek compression cubes for socks/undies and workout clothes
    -Mesh 3DOC in Plum for chargers
    -Size 2 Travel Stuff Sack in Solar for my packable down jacket (doubles as a pillow as I keep the TB pillow case in the jacket pocket)
    -16oz Contigo Autoseal thermal mug for water or tea
    -Deluxe Spiff Kit in UV for toiletries

Main compartment

So the A30 Small cubes are a perfect fit for the main compartment. I feel that three of them really maximizes the space and modularity. The EC cubes sit nicely in the inside open-top pocket.

Point of note regarding the EC cubes: The Synik30ís additional five liters is found in the depth of the main compartment. I am not able to fit the three A30 cubes and the EC cubes in the S25 without making the front pockets unusable.

I can get the most in the bag with the A30 cubes, but two PCSBs also fit nicely:

An A45 PCBP fits right-side out but I wouldnít pack it to bursting:

The A45 PCBP in cube mode, with a small amount of leftover room at the top of the bag for a Grass 3DOC:

The A45 PCBP, if you donít know, reverses to the same size as one Large A45 cube which is the same as two Small A45 cubes side by side.

Front pockets

Here is whatís in the front pockets:

Contigo 16oz Autoseal (water bottle pocket), Solar TSS2 containing down jacket (Side pocket), Plum Mesh 3DOC containing chargers (Side pocket), UV Deluxe Spiff Kit (chin pocket).

Ok, pause.

Can we talk about these front pockets for a minute?

Sometime in recent months the ingenious minds at TB made a change to how the Synapse 19/25 water bottle pocket was sewn together with the side pockets. The change made the water bottle pocket slightly narrower and the side pockets wider. (Also, it made the bag easier to make)

The Syniks benefit from this evolution, as the front pockets of the 30 are essentially those of a Synapse 25. Look what I can fit in the Synik30 side pockets!

Second Aid Kit

Travel Cubelet

Side Effect

Very spacious! The front pockets make this a contender for One Bag travel for me, if I am packing only for myself and not me and the kids together that is. I like a small bag-in-bag approach for EDC essentials and being able to keep say a Travel Cubelet in an easily-accessible side pocket is a huge deal for me.

The downside

I prefer the S25 frame over the Synik 30 frame. The S25 frame is not a great fit in the Synik 30 frame pocket, so I canít recommend that as an option, but I am happy that the Synik frame is removable so I am able to try out different things. I also liked the bag frameless with this pack-out.

Thereís a long story here about the angle of the aluminum stay that holds the frame rigid, but the short version is that TB as a company take review feedback very seriously. If they say they want feedback in a testing phase, they really mean it. I have been astounded by this more than once in the short period since I became a moderator.

Summary

The extra space and clamshell opening make this a great bag for my upcoming trip. It is a travel bag that can pass as a regular backpack. It fits the A30 cubes so efficiently that I feel I can make the most of the capacity and still keep everything organized.
    Last edited by Cristina; 07-29-2019 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Lots of strange formatting but I think it is all fixed now

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful review with great photos. Thank you for showing all the organizational bags and the way they fit in the Synik 30. It helps me a lot as a future first time Tom Bihn owner with the Synik 30 in what additional bags to order.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo View Post
    Wonderful review with great photos. Thank you for showing all the organizational bags and the way they fit in the Synik 30. It helps me a lot as a future first time Tom Bihn owner with the Synik 30 in what additional bags to order.
    Thanks, @yugo! I have the A30 Small Laundry cubes but the regular A30 Small Cubes (non-laundry ones) will fit equally well. As with the A45 ones, two Smalls side by side are the same size as a Large, assuming they arenít overstuffed.