Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See, Nik? I Like Your Bag- My Thoughts on the Synik 30

Alright guys, believe the hype. So my name is Greg and I am a writer over at GearDiary.com. We do articles about everything you can think of, tech. Offbeat, bags, you name it. (I think I may have even written an article about adult gadgets, but thatís a story for another day).

I received my Synik 30 today in the mail after checking my tracking number non stop at work, hoping that the company didnít screw up, because you know how it is when youíre anticipating something great in the mail, for them to ďmisdeliverĒ the package or fail to deliver it all together. So, I get the package in the mailÖ absolutely stunning. Shiny new things always get my giddy, but as someone whoís reviewed bags that claim to do everything from be your everyday carry, to bags that can somehow have built in solar panels, the Synik 30 has me utterly amazed. Iíve always looked at the forums thinking it was all hypeÖ Itís not. Now about the bag.

Somethings Iíll have to hold back for my actual review, but Iím happy to answer questions, take photos for you guys, you name it. As a techie, Iím taking my review in the perspective your favorite ďtech YoutuberĒ would, with gadgets and items that we typically carry with us in Everyday Carry. Not a lot of us carry knives, and survival kits, but we tend to keep things that make sure we stay connected to our devices. In my case, thatís my:

- iPhone XS Max
    - Google Pixel 3XL
    - 15-Inch MacBook Pro
    - iPad Pro 11-inch (1TB)

Bear in mind I donít always wield around my MacBook because itís mammoth, but when I do, I want a bag that wonít cause me to feel like Iím moving furniture as I take public transportation. I also donít want a bag that screams ďhey thereís $500+ dollars with of crap in hereĒ (which it typically tends to be). Finally, I wanted a bag that for conventions like CES and various others, I can use as a carry-on that will house maybe an extra day or two worth of clothes, my essentials, all while looking impressive. Synik 30 checks those boxes. For reference, I am a 5í7 male (yes I know Iím not the standard). Iíll work on body shots with the bag and add them to this ďon goingĒ image hub for items about my Synik 30. And before I forget, thank you Darcy for being so accommodating to my requests.

First things first letís talk about the water bottle situation: I carry around a 32-ounce HydroFlask (wide mouth) because I feel guilty when I donít finish it, and itís demanding in size enough to warrant that I do just that. With that being said I needed a bag that would accommodate it. The Synik 30 somehow manages to do that with ease with the middle zippered pocket. But there is a bit of ďpause for causeĒ here. The pocket right underneath it, where I would ideally put my sunglasses, do not cooperate together.

Iím sure a smaller Hydroflask or water bottle would be more accommodating, so what Iíve done is ordered myself a Vapur Water Bottle. If you are a trekkie, or just need a water bottle, itís accommodating, can fold up into itís own carabiner when empty, and when full of water can set on the side of the bag on one of the YKK zippers by way of carabiner (check it out).

Secondly, I carry WAY too much crap. On any given day, I have 4 charging cables, a battery pack, the two smartphones, tablet and more. So the Snake charmer and the Freudian slip have become my best friends. With the snake charmer, Iíve separated the endless amounts of dongles on one end, with my cables on the other. The ďlargeĒ size Snake Charmer manages to fit PERFECTLY at the base of the Synik 30, even at full capacity (this is the benefit of having all ďTBĒ items, since they coincide with each other).

The Freudian slip carries my MX Master mouse, Bose QuietComfort 35ís, and even my ďfisher pensĒ (essentially just a life hack of the Zebra F-701 with space pen inserts so they always right, regardless of surface). I have a green Freudian slip which not only looks amazing, but offsets the all black look of the bag.

A few more quick takes from the bag (Iíll have more but I canít literally give a full review in a day but)

- The differentiating sizes of the YKK zippers (main compartment and other pockets) is a welcome change. This makes finding particular pockets easier when not looking.
    - The side laptop/tablet cache is a welcome addition that the world is missing. Not everyone wants to have to pull the bag completely off their shoulders to reach important items. Iíve already found that I will be tossing my house keys in this pocket (yes, with my laptop), so in the morning/evening), I can easily just access them when needed without having to completely remove it from my shoulders. If I had a suggestion thoughÖ maybe make a side pocket like this for the frontal pockets, specifically for those ďessentialsĒ that are separate from the main compartment.
    - The Cache being included = Chef Kiss. It fits my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro, with a bit of stretch of the padding, but works fine. I have an Incase case on my MacBook to reduce scratches and it works perfectly. With my iPad Pro I have a Logitech Folio case on it and they both work in unison and do not weigh down the bag.

If you guys have any questions or photo requests, feel free to comment, I can take photos (I will be carrying it daily), including to Starbucks where I overpay for Mango Dragonfruit beverages because who doesnít like empty carbs and high sugar intakes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the sunglasses case not fit into the left or right side pockets?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarepants View Post
    Does the sunglasses case not fit into the left or right side pockets?
    It does actually but I actually had those dedicated to other items.

Left pocket for toiletries (mint, deodorant etc)
    Right pocket for Anker battery pack (20,000mAh), wall charger and plug for easy access in airports etc when I donít use the snake charmer. I may move things around though but Iím afraid no matter where I move things to with the Hydroflask it will make whateverís in the front pocket protrude out

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my glasses in the bottom pocket of my synapse along with my wallet/keys/phone, but my tech accessories/dongles fit in the left side pocket... Anyway the point is it took me weeks to maximize the organization and figure out a system that accounts for size, accessibility, categorization, etc. Looking forward to hearing how it works out!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What material is your s30? Is it the parapack or 525dÖ?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zepnik View Post
    What material is your s30? Is it the parapack or 525dÖ?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Itís 525d. Parapack is only coming in blue and steel.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boateng View Post
    Itís 525d. Parapack is only coming in blue and steel.
    They are also offering a Black Parapack with Steel interior.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djkindred View Post
    They are also offering a Black Parapack with Steel interior.
    Complete brain blank on my part! No steel exterior. Blue and black duh. *facepalm*

Apologies.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the same height, do you find the Synik 30L comfortable? I'm debating dropping down to the 22L should the 30L be too large. Thanks!