Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Welcome to the Forums @tjharlow!

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow - the light isn't good right now.
    In the meantime, check out the Cafe bag listing - it shows Deep Blue/Coyote ballistic... it always seems lighter on my screen than in person
    https://www.tombihn.com/products/med...14478727446591

If you'd like a small swatch of the fabrics, you can email the fine folks at Customer Service and request them... just be sure to specify 525 ballistic for the Deep Blue and 210 ballistic for the Coyote

ETA:

Here you go...Coyote 210 ballistic inside and Deep Blue 525 ballistic outside... photos really don't capture Coyote well though, I really think you need to request a swatch

Attachment 23013
    Thanks !!!

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very helpful thanks! And looks like the A30 cubes fit. I am now planning to get the Synik 30 (after initially thinking I'd get the 22, but then realizing I have other EDC bags that I prefer, and this is likely to be a dedicated travel bag). And in the Synik 30, the A45 cubes are supposed to be a better fit. Did you feel like you lost anything w the A30 cubes? (I currently own a set of A30 cubes for my Aeronaut...so trying to decide....) I also just picked up a Peak Designs set to try since they have the same horizontal dimensions....

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
    I also just picked up a Peak Designs set to try since they have the same horizontal dimensions....
    Packhacker did a short video showing a fully packed (uncompressed) peak designs medium cube fitting easily into the bottom of the S30. - https://www.dropbox.com/s/cih6aa4dme...edium.MOV?dl=0
    Also a pic showing the 18L cube and 9L cube packed together at the same time, but compressed and kind of scrunched. - https://www.dropbox.com/s/jp1xtmueez...8368.HEIC?dl=0

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
    Very helpful thanks! And looks like the A30 cubes fit. I am now planning to get the Synik 30 (after initially thinking I'd get the 22, but then realizing I have other EDC bags that I prefer, and this is likely to be a dedicated travel bag). And in the Synik 30, the A45 cubes are supposed to be a better fit. Did you feel like you lost anything w the A30 cubes? (I currently own a set of A30 cubes for my Aeronaut...so trying to decide....) I also just picked up a Peak Designs set to try since they have the same horizontal dimensions....
    I don't have any A45 cubes to try in the Syniks. I made a choice way back when to only get the A30s since they will fit both the A30 and A45. When I use them in the A45, I simply fill any extra space with stuff sacks or a different packing method or leave empty - I just don't want that many bag-specific accessories. I have also found that the A30 small laundry cubes are just ideal for my stuff and packing style... since they've come out, I use them pretty much exclusively for all my clothes, except if I need to bring a pair of pants - those I tend to fold and place flat on the bottom of whatever bag I'm using.

So for the SN30, I don't know what I'm missing :)
    I would also rather slightly underpack in general - I can't stand a super stuffed bag where if everything isn't perfectly folded/compressed, it doesn't work. It's just not my style....
    Hopefully someone else can chime on on the 30s vs 45s - but I'd assume that whether it bothers you or not is going to be a personal thing...
    HTH
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ayazgood View Post
    Packhacker did a short video showing a fully packed (uncompressed) peak designs medium cube fitting easily into the bottom of the S30. - https://www.dropbox.com/s/cih6aa4dme...edium.MOV?dl=0
    Also a pic showing the 18L cube and 9L cube packed together at the same time, but compressed and kind of scrunched. - https://www.dropbox.com/s/jp1xtmueez...8368.HEIC?dl=0
    @ayazgood, those links don't go anywhere anymore. Do you have the link to the original review? (It might be a review someone has already linked somewhere around here, but it sounds like it would be handy to have a link here!)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    @ayazgood, those links don't go anywhere anymore. Do you have the link to the original review? (It might be a review someone has already linked somewhere around here, but it sounds like it would be handy to have a link here!)
    these links have been published through replies to a comment...
    here the links (yes I rewatch the video... and read the comments... oh my...)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cih6aa4dme...edium.MOV?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jp1xtmueez...8368.HEIC?dl=0
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to REI for fixing my broken links. To further clarify, these were part of the comments to Packhacker's quick look:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8SZMMOqJNY
    Hope the link works this time!

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I don't have any A45 cubes to try in the Syniks. I made a choice way back when to only get the A30s since they will fit both the A30 and A45. When I use them in the A45, I simply fill any extra space with stuff sacks or a different packing method or leave empty - I just don't want that many bag-specific accessories. I have also found that the A30 small laundry cubes are just ideal for my stuff and packing style... since they've come out, I use them pretty much exclusively for all my clothes, except if I need to bring a pair of pants - those I tend to fold and place flat on the bottom of whatever bag I'm using.

So for the SN30, I don't know what I'm missing :)
    I would also rather slightly underpack in general - I can't stand a super stuffed bag where if everything isn't perfectly folded/compressed, it doesn't work. It's just not my style....
    Hopefully someone else can chime on on the 30s vs 45s - but I'd assume that whether it bothers you or not is going to be a personal thing...
    HTH
    Very helpful. I think I might stick to A30 cubes in that case b/c they also work well in the Synapse 25, Aeronaut 30, Goruck GR1 21L (perfectly), and the Axiom 24. :)

Forum Member
    Virginia, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G42—Thank you for such a detailed comparison. I especially appreciate the explanation of what you pack in each “cube” and how you organize your bag. Just wondering, what is your system for organizing your S19 as a daily.carry?
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandcache View Post
    G42—Thank you for such a detailed comparison. I especially appreciate the explanation of what you pack in each “cube” and how you organize your bag. Just wondering, what is your system for organizing your S19 as a daily.carry?
    Glad the review helped!

In my S19s, I usually leave certain items in the pockets all the time.
    Pens, pencils, packet of tissues, clip with emergency whistle & bottle opener, etc., in one side pocket.
    The other pocket always has a Pocket Pouch with business cards. My bluetooth headset & charger fit in a mini Q-kit, so that is leashed inside too & it moves from bag to bag.

I use a 3DOC in the chin pocket with 'just in case' types of things: mini first aid kit; spork; ziplocks; tiny Reisenthel shop bag; mini duct tape; things like that.

In the main compartment, it really just depends on the day what I need to bring. I always have one of my 210 ballistic Travel Cubelets that I use as a mini 'office'... stamps, another pen & pencil, tiny notebook, checkbooks, etc. It moves from bag to bag, I have the handle strap on it and the normal strap just coiled up in the pocket.

If you'd like, I can add pics later this weekend - I'm off on a work trip right now with a Pilot & A30.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Virginia, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks G42...your description helps. Leaving things in the pockets all the time is an intriguing concept—it would definitely be worth purchasing duplicates in order to transition between bags more efficiently. If you get the chance, photos would be nice too. Safe travels. :-)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone who has posted. I have been so tempted by the new Synik, but I have an A30 which can be heavy when filled so I’m sure the A45 would be hard for me to carry.

I used the A30 and a DLBP on a recent trip and both were comfortable to wear on my 5’3” body. Can anybody chart the strap lengths on the different bags and Syniks? The most challenging thing is realizing that body size and bag size have to match - turtle on its back is the image I would be with some of the bigger volume bags.

BrendaH

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBru View Post
    Same here! That seems to be the Goldilocks length for a backpack in my house. It fits my 5í2Ē frame, doesnít overwhelm my skinny 15 y.o., and doesnít look ridiculous on my 6í4Ē husband. I love the BB a lot because of the length, I just lack self control and pack it to capacity most of the time, which topples me over. I canít wait to add a S22 to our bag lineup, but Iím still hopeful for a smaller volume Brain Bag.
    DeBru and G42 - your comments are so helpful. I have a Synik 30 coming but I also have a SA and A30. I am hoping to use the SA as personal item with a roller but ended up with using the A30 for the extra space and checking the bag. So Iíd like to keep only two of the three bags. Which two? The SN 30 may prove to be too big for my 17Ē torso length.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendaH View Post
    DeBru and G42 - your comments are so helpful. I have a Synik 30 coming but I also have a SA and A30. I am hoping to use the SA as personal item with a roller but ended up with using the A30 for the extra space and checking the bag. So I’d like to keep only two of the three bags. Which two? The SN 30 may prove to be too big for my 17” torso length.
    Give the SN30 a shot to see how you feel, but with a 17" torso, it is a good 3" longer than that so you may find it annoying.
    I find the A30 and SA both more comfortable than the SN30 because of the length.

If I need to single bag with more than either of those can carry, I'd be tempted to try out the Brain Bag, which is very wide, but shorter at 18.1"... it's still taller than your 17" torso though.

Once the SN30 arrives and you test pack, let us know how it goes!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím wondering if someone could give me some advice on the choice between A30 and SN30.

I already own an A45 and I love it for travel (I usually use it in backpack form) but I am looking for something to add to that.

What Iím after is something good for a daily walking commute of about 20 minutes (this carries a 13Ē macbook, in a sleeve), but could also be used for flying trips of a couple of days, where the A45 would be overkill.

I would also want to use this bag for grocery shopping once or twice a week on the commute back from work. Iíve used the A45 a few times to do this.

I was originally thinking of the A30 but given the most use would be daily commute with the odd flight maybe the Synik would be better, and more comfortable for the heavier loads when backpacking groceries home. The clamshell is a nice plus for the packing of clothes and maybe groceries too (the aeronaut opening is also good for that).

A little torn. I have zero exp. with the Synapse or Synik and I donít want to get multiple bags for each purpose, just another smaller ďone bagĒ for multiple uses.
    Iím in Canada btw, buying and returning isnít really an option with the large delivery fees and duty.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast