Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BihnBag View Post
    What I’m after is something good for a daily walking commute of about 20 minutes (this carries a 13” macbook, in a sleeve), but could also be used for flying trips of a couple of days, where the A45 would be overkill.

I would also want to use this bag for grocery shopping once or twice a week on the commute back from work. I’ve used the A45 a few times to do this.

I’m in Canada btw, buying and returning isn’t really an option with the large delivery fees and duty.

Thanks.
    I, too, live in Canada and stress over my online purchases so that once I've converted to CAD, added shipping and customs fees, that my bank account isn't left crying.

I have an A30 as my main travel bag and absolutely love it. I'm just concerned that you'll find it cumbersome and uncomfortable as a commuter bag, when you have a laptop in a sleeve kind of floating around in the main compartment. The vertical organization of the Synapse or Synik bags might suit that purpose better.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not in a position to speak from personal experience, since I do not own an A40/30. However, just from your post, if I'd be looking for an occasion grocery bag, I would not go with a SN30. Although it's approximately same volume as A30 it is way shallower and nothing beats a duffel bag for convenience of packing larger items.

Also from what you said, it seems like you like your A40 and do not have much drive for a backpack.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BihnBag,

Am also in Canada and ooo, I get it as far as shipping and customs. Have you thought about splitting the difference and going with an S25? Could easily hold your daily commute items without feeling like you are carrying a suitcase to work and--depending on your list, of course--I'd suppose it could likely accommodate a run to the grocery. Another thought would be to order a small zip-top shop bag to carry inside the S25 and pull out for the grocery run. The S25 sounds like it would also work for the short trips you mention.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have been thinking about the S25 too. The issue with that one is losing 5l of space when traveling, the clamshell for when you pack and hit the hotel is now not an option, and the laptop compartment is potentially useful on the Synik I'd have to see it in person.

On-top I think the straps in the synapse might be much better for heavier weight over distance that the A30. I love my A45 and do use it in backpack mode for travel but if I could change one thing it would be more comfortable straps.

The double bag idea I would like to avoid if possible, I want to buy an all in one that might not be perfect for each role but is superb and well built in general.
    Last edited by BihnBag; 10-28-2019 at 07:20 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bihnbag. Synik for sure. I plan to buy one for our next trip for exactly the reasons you mentioned.
    1.holds laptop well
    2. Holds clothes well
    3. Holds groceries in pockets and main compartment nicely.
    Plus 4. Looks like a " normal backpack" when out and about.

The plan is for my husband to take a Synik30 and I take the Aeronaut 30. Unpack the synik at hotel, then use it as our day bag every day.
    Last edited by bijoux; 10-28-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m wondering if someone could give me some advice on the choice between A30 and SN30.

I already own an A45 and I love it for travel (I usually use it in backpack form) but I am looking for something to add to that.

What I’m after is something good for a daily walking commute of about 20 minutes (this carries a 13” macbook, in a sleeve), but could also be used for flying trips of a couple of days, where the A45 would be overkill.

I would also want to use this bag for grocery shopping once or twice a week on the commute back from work. I’ve used the A45 a few times to do this.

I was originally thinking of the A30 but given the most use would be daily commute with the odd flight maybe the Synik would be better, and more comfortable for the heavier loads when backpacking groceries home. The clamshell is a nice plus for the packing of clothes and maybe groceries too (the aeronaut opening is also good for that).

A little torn. I have zero exp. with the Synapse or Synik and I don’t want to get multiple bags for each purpose, just another smaller “one bag” for multiple uses.
    I’m in Canada btw, buying and returning isn’t really an option with the large delivery fees and duty.

Thanks.
    If groceries on the way home from a walking commute are key, I would err towards a true backpack like the Synapse, Synik, or Brain Bag. I think they'd be easier and more comfortable to carry in a true backpack. I don't think the A30 makes any sense for a regular EDC.

If you want/need an integrated laptop holder, then the Synik family would work. Personally, I like the feature but already have and use neoprene laptop sleeves to I can toss my laptops in any bag, so that's not a driver for me. Clamshell is only on the Syniks.

The SN30 and the BB are both quite large and still look pretty large when underpacked. To me, the Synapses seem to collapse down a bit more when underpacked.

If you're short like me (5' 4"), you might find the S25 and SN30 to be too tall for your torso - they are 20".

Perhaps if you pile up all the stuff you'd bring daily, on a trip, and shopping - to estimate volume - that will help.
    You have 19, 22, 25, 30, & 36L choices available.

22&30 have luggage pass through, clamshell, built-in laptop holder, but cost more and weigh more
    19&25 don't have any of those extra features, but are splendid packs and are less expensive and weigh less
    36L BB will swallow most loads, but not clamshell, etc. and is a very different layout/design

Since you're mostly using as a walking EDC and already have a laptop sleeve, I would probably get the S25 if that fits your torso. Less money, less weight for features you may or may not be using, optimized for back carry.
    Last edited by G42; 10-28-2019 at 08:03 AM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More random thoughts to my original thread post comparisons:

As a reminder, my normal EDC for work is a Synapse 19 with a larger 15" work laptop in a neoprene sleeve.

I spent two weeks this month on a business trip with an A30 for my clothes, etc. and the SN30 for my EDC of laptops, files, work equipment. I wanted to see how it felt to EDC. It's doable, but definitely too tall for my less-than-20" torso. It's also more space than I would normally ever need for work stuff, even if I bring two laptops. I used the built-in laptop compartment instead of my normal neoprene sleeve and that was nice... but it was the side access that made it really useful to me. The clamshell was secure, though I never unzip it that far down for EDC. I would probably only ever use the clamshell for loading cubes of clothes.

The SN22 is sized better for my torso, but my laptop is too big for the built in section, rendering that part unusable to me.
    All of this means that I would only use the Syniks in their current forms for a trip where I needed to truly one-bag it and had to carry everything with me most of the time (ie, no unloading in a hotel). That's not something I've had to do more than maybe once or twice in my career.
    My personal laptop does fit the SN22, so that is a possibility for a short personal one-bag trip, but I don't seem to do that much either.

Right now I'm at the end of my second two week work trip and this time I brought a BB to try instead of the SN30. It's shorter, so fits my torso better, but it is wide and its a massive amount of space that I don't need for EDC, even cinching down the compression straps.
    Since it does have the compression straps and is shorter, if I did have to do a true one-bag work trip where I didn't really unpack (as mentioned above), I'd probably use the BB vs the SN30 and just cinch it down as much as possible.

I think my ideal pack, including if I wanted to one-bag, would be: less than 20" tall; sits up on it's own; ability to compress/collapse when underfilled; pockets & organization; two main chambers or the built-in sleeve with side access for a large 15" laptop; and around 22-26L.
    The last time I one-bagged a short combined work/personal trip, I used my Smart Alec and dealt with the annoyance of pure top loading.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input, very helpful. It seems Synapse or Synik are definitely the better options vs an A30.

I guess I should have mentioned I am 6ft and quite broad shouldered so the 25 and 30 should work ok on me. The A45 in backpack I travel well with.

My 13" work MacBook would fit in a Synik 22 or 30 so the compartment is nice and I sometimes like to carry a jacket in my bag so space for that and groceries would be good.

Were talking a hand basket amount of groceries not a trolley, enough for two people (currently).

I feel like the S25 is my best option for EDC and grocery, but that extra 5l and clamshell will certainly be nice for short business trips. Although I do have the A45 that I could simply underpack.

Hmmm.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like the S25 is my best option for EDC and grocery, but that extra 5l and clamshell will certainly be nice for short business trips. Although I do have the A45 that I could simply underpack.
    I think you need to contemplate how often you'd one-bag travel vs EDC then...

$210 and roughly 2lbs vs $300 and roughly 3lbs (depending on fabrics)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along with the replies here I found this a very helpful video, and I believe I will get the Synik 30 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc5Tcp3PuR4

It occurred to me that I can use the laptop compartment when it is convenient (like airport travelling) but in the EDC form when I have a neoprene pouch for carrying around and to/from work I can use the internal pocket/flap to just slide it in and stop it moving around the bag, which I agree with an earlier post could be annoying in an A30.

On top although the Synapse 25 is cheaper, if you consider you get the frame included on the Synik along with the extra features and upgrades it seems like the better deal to me.

It isn't the biggest size for groceries, a duffle would be better and I think the A30 would work nicer there.
    I think I can get along with the Synik here, and the clamshell perhaps open 75% of the way might help with packing at the checkout there where you can put things in flat, we'll see.
    I wonder if some sort of soft "basket" insert might be good for this, so you have a kind of bucket you load into that the clamshell then closes over.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still trying to decide between the synik 30 and the brainbag. I can't tell if the synik actually holds that much more than my synapse 25 - are the extra five liters actually useable space or not. The only concern I have with the brain bag is if it will fit under the seat in front of me. I also have the A30 but it is not a bag I find all that useful.
    Last edited by spcanf; 11-24-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spcanf View Post
    I am still trying to decide between the synik 30 and the brainbag. I can't tell if the synik actually holds that much more than my synapse 25 - are the extra five liters actually useable space or not. The only concern I have with the brain bag is if it will fit under the seat in front of me. I also have the A30 but it is not a bag I find all that useful.
    I can have trouble with a stuffed Halcyon S25 fitting under the seat even on wide body jets so I'm thinking a Sy30 in 525 usually will, and a full brain bag won't.

As for the A30, yes it can be off if you're looking for a bag with a lot of built-in organization ... for me it works best if you pack shoes, socks, other in one end pocket, main pocket get clothes, other end pocket gets a dopp kitt and an in-flight bag like a PCSB or side kick/effect with headphones, snacks, etc. In other words, you use other small bags for your organization, but just my 2 cents.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3