Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bartleby, you're the best lol. Thank you for making the perfect videos to answer our inquiry. Out of curiosity, what do you study? You have an impressive book collection behind you.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bartleby,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question with videos. I never take for granted the kindness of Internet strangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo View Post
    Out of curiosity, what do you study? You have an impressive book collection behind you.
    Looks like I am a helpless book addict and yes I am and have always been! Our living room was occupied so I had to switch to my study, that is why. I am teaching psychology in health professions education but that does only account for a fraction of the books... :D
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why the clamshell does also makes sense in EDC....

As I stated before I wasn't convinced that I would need a clamshell. But today I thought it is nice to have for EDC use too. Here is why: When I went to work this morning there was a real downpour of summer rain and I had to take my rain gear to arrive reasonably dry at work after riding my bike. On my way back however, the sun was shining and I had to pack my stuff inside the Synik. Since Monday is also my gym day I had my gym stuff with me in addition to the usual EDC, most of it in my S25 Freudian Slip.

Travelling with a Synik (30)-synik-21-jpg

Travelling with a Synik (30)-synik-20-jpg

As you can see my gym bag leaves some space for my rain jacket and of course I could have shoved it from the top inside the bag. However, I found it much more convenient to open the bag completely and arrange the things neatly (my rain pant - by the way - found its place in the lower outside pocket).

Travelling with a Synik (30)-synik-22-jpg

Travelling with a Synik (30)-synik-23-jpg

Thus, I think I start to make friends with the clamshell opening despite the fact that I didn't miss it before...
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    As I stated before I wasn't convinced that I would need a clamshell. But today I thought it is nice to have for EDC use too. Here is why: When I went to work this morning there was a real downpour of summer rain and I had to take my rain gear to arrive reasonably dry at work after riding my bike. On my way back however, the sun was shining and I had to pack my stuff inside the Synik. Since Monday is also my gym day I had my gym stuff with me in addition to the usual EDC, most of it in my S25 Freudian Slip.

Travelling with a Synik (30)-synik-21-jpg

Travelling with a Synik (30)-synik-20-jpg

As you can see my gym bag leaves some space for my rain jacket and of course I could have shoved it from the top inside the bag. However, I found it much more convenient to open the bag completely and arrange the things neatly (my rain pant - by the way - found its place in the lower outside pocket).

Travelling with a Synik (30)-synik-22-jpg

Travelling with a Synik (30)-synik-23-jpg

Thus, I think I start to make friends with the clamshell opening despite the fact that I didn't miss it before...
    I am with you on this. I took my Synik 30 out today for a picnic and I had a dozen smallish items in it. Normally I would get annoyed at having to dig for stuff but instead I just opened the bag all the way and voila! I can see and get at everything. Iím a clamshell convert.

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too, I’ve realized I’m a clamshell convert myself. It is so convenient with the added flexibility (fully open it or not). Going back to the Synapse 25, I’ve been “startled” every time I’ve tried to zip down lower and I’ve been rudely stopped. :)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great write-up and videos. Really glad that TB decided to send out a few of these for review ahead of the pre-order.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also love the 3DOC hack and hadn't noticed that one before. I just ordered the S22 so I assume this hack will work with it also. (Anyone know for sure???) One thing I love with my DLBP is the upper back panel pocket, and this solves that issue perfectly. Thanks a bunch for your review!

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    I also love the 3DOC hack and hadn't noticed that one before. I just ordered the S22 so I assume this hack will work with it also. (Anyone know for sure???)
    Yes, it does! The Synik 22 has the same O-rings and rail loops as the Synik 30.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do the two bags compare when partially loaded? I know theres added depth to the synik 30, and worry if that itself will make it more cumbersome to carry as an EDC bag than the Synapse, or if both bags are partially loaded they will carry comparably. Also whats your take on the guide edition vs regular? Im hoping the synik in guide edition will update the looks enough to make it a more handsome, heritage style bag

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently, I am using the Synik 30 as an EDC bag and for me it works just as well as the Synapse 25. In terms of appearance the Synapse 25 is certainly much more unobstrusive when you wear it partially loaded or almost empty. Due to its construction the Synik 30 is much more eye-catching in this regard and of course also a bit heavier.

Regarding the Guide's Edition: If you love the look of the Guide's Edition it might be worth waiting for the next batch to show up. I have a Synapse 25 Guide's Edition and I do like the look of it. In terms of functionality there is not much difference as the main features of both version are identical.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Due to a question in another thread I add some pics here showing me (6') wearing the Synik 30 in comparison with the Synapse 25. I am using the Synik 30 now for almost three months for different purposes, mainly EDC. I really like the additional 5 litres and - although I wouldn't have thought that - the clamshell opening as it makes packing a lot easier. The zippers did never open accidentally.

First the Synik 30 (in navy Parapack) packed with my Macbook Air 11'' and some EDC stuff. A lot of space left, of course...

Travelling with a Synik (30)-berlin_19-1-jpg

Travelling with a Synik (30)-berlin_19-2-jpg

The Synapse 25 with almost identical stuff inside.

Travelling with a Synik (30)-berlin_19-4-jpg

Travelling with a Synik (30)-berlin_19-3-jpg
    Last edited by bartleby; 10-17-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Forum Member
    Mississauga, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What watch is that?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a 856 S UTC by Sinn, a German manufacturer. A very reliable and sturdy watch.

Forum Member
    Mississauga, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a 856 S UTC by Sinn, a German manufacturer. A very reliable and sturdy watch.
    Ooo. Outside my price range, but beautiful watch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast