Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part 3: How two models of 13" laptops fit

The Synik 22 product page says "The Synik 22 fits laptops up to the size of the 13” MacBook Pro (but not the older non-Retina Air) or the Dell XPS 13". I have a 2012 13" MacBook Air (sadly not working now, and I'm still thinking about whether to spend the money for a part that may or may not fix the problem) and a 2015 13" MacBook Pro (on which I'm typing this), so I can give photographic examples of how they fit.

First I tried putting the MacBook Air into the sleeve from the top opening. It did actually go in, but I had to wiggle it in (it was almost too wide to go past the zipper) and once it was in, I could see that it was stretching the sleeve material where the backpack's frame curved away. So you could actually carry it that way, but I don't recommend it because it's likely to put too much stress on the sleeve and its zipper over time. There's nothing to stop you from putting it in the main section of the backpack, though, or even in that pocket on the front wall of the main compartment.

Photos, clockwise from upper right:
    13" MacBook Air in sleeve of Synik 22
    An attempt at showing how the sleeve material is stretched by the Air, but it's black material in shadow so you can't actually see much there
    13" MacBook Air lying in main compartment of Synik 22, for size comparison
    13" MacBook Air in the flat pocket at the front wall of the main compartment
    Synik 22 review: Like, yet unlike, a Synapse-befunky-collage-mbair-s22-jpg

Then I did the same with the MacBook Pro. It slid right into the sleeve, and the top of the laptop was maybe half an inch or so (around 1 cm) below the zipper. It too stretched the sleeve material a little, but not as much. I was also able to slide it in and out through the side zipper, with a small amount of wiggling to turn it a little.

Photos are same as above, but with a 13" MacBook Pro instead of the Air.
    Synik 22 review: Like, yet unlike, a Synapse-befunky-collage-mbpro-s22-jpg

One further note on the laptops stretching in the sleeve material: with both laptops, the sleeve stretch was most noticeable where the Synik frame curves. I tried taking out the frame to see how that would change things; it did reduce the amount that the sleeve needed to stretch there at the side, but somehow it made it even more noticeable that the top opening is really just a little too tight for the MBAir. (I didn't even try it through the side opening, it seemed so unlikely to fit through there.)

P.S. Since they've often been commented on elsewhere: my beautiful laptop skins are both from DecalGirl. The forest scene is the work of Digital Blasphemy, the calm waves are by Shell Rummel.
    Last edited by aedifica; 08-12-2019 at 02:32 PM.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    The Synik 22 product page says "The Synik 22 fits laptops up to the size of the 13” MacBook Pro (but not the older non-Retina Air) or the Dell XPS 13". I have a 2012 13" MacBook Air (sadly not working now, and I'm still thinking about whether to spend the money for a part that may or may not fix the problem) and a 2015 13" MacBook Pro (on which I'm typing this), so I can give photographic examples of how they fit.

First I tried putting the MacBook Air into the sleeve from the top opening. It did actually go in, but I had to wiggle it in (it was almost too wide to go past the zipper) and once it was in, I could see that it was stretching the sleeve material where the backpack's frame curved away. So you could actually carry it that way, but I don't recommend it because it's likely to put too much stress on the sleeve and its zipper over time. There's nothing to stop you from putting it in the main section of the backpack, though, or even in that pocket on the front wall of the main compartment.

Photos, clockwise from upper right:
    13" MacBook Air in sleeve of Synik 22
    An attempt at showing how the sleeve material is stretched by the Air, but it's black material in shadow so you can't actually see much there
    13" MacBook Air lying in main compartment of Synik 22, for size comparison
    13" MacBook Air in the flat pocket at the front wall of the main compartment

Then I did the same with the MacBook Pro. It slid right into the sleeve, and the top of the laptop was maybe half an inch or so (around 1 cm) below the zipper. It too stretched the sleeve material a little, but not as much. I was also able to slide it in and out through the side zipper, with a small amount of wiggling to turn it a little.

Photos are same as above, but with a 13" MacBook Pro instead of the Air.

One further note on the laptops stretching in the sleeve material: with both laptops, the sleeve stretch was most noticeable where the Synik frame curves. I tried taking out the frame to see how that would change things; it did reduce the amount that the sleeve needed to stretch there at the side, but somehow it made it even more noticeable that the top opening is really just a little too tight for the MBAir. (I didn't even try it through the side opening, it seemed so unlikely to fit through there.)
    Nice photos!

Not sure if you noticed this as well, but it was also a real pain to get the old MacBook Air (I have a 2013) back out of the on board sleeve... I tried the same thing you did and came to the same conclusion as you and TB... you theoretically could do it in a pinch, but for everyday, it's going to wear the sleeve/void the warranty because it really just doesn't fit right.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You neglected to mention how you felt walking around with 15# loaded in this bag. Did the frame and hip belt transfer weight? Did the weight disappear or did you feel like you had a 15# lump on your back? Would you be comfortable carrying 15# in this bag all day? Or do you feel like you can’t wait to dump it? IMHO this is the first consideration of ANY backpack. How does it carry weight?

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanlaurence View Post
    You neglected to mention how you felt walking around with 15# loaded in this bag. Did the frame and hip belt transfer weight? Did the weight disappear or did you feel like you had a 15# lump on your back? Would you be comfortable carrying 15# in this bag all day? Or do you feel like you can’t wait to dump it? IMHO this is the first consideration of ANY backpack. How does it carry weight?
    I think that was covered by my section about the shoulder straps! That's where the weight rests, so that's where I would be complaining if I had any complaints about them. I'm really impressed with the new straps.

I can't speak to the hip belt on this one because I haven't tried it yet--so far I haven't felt like I needed it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2