Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

L15 v S19: a revelation

I know I want a Synik because I want a bag with the laptop compartment of my Luminary and the water bottle pocket of my Synapse, and definitely a little bigger. I've been worried that 22L won't be enough -- but WHY have I been worried? My L15 is a perfect bag for an overnight trip, so surely 8 more liters will be plenty, even if it's divided into pockets?

I did an experiment and figured it out. Here's how packed for my last overnight train trip:
    One change of clothes in yellow cube, pajamas in original SE, TT with bedside stuff, sandals, travel mug, toiletries, ZTSB, en-route needs in Nordic SE. Also, my laptop, not shown.
    L15 v S19: a revelation-img_20190809_103236-jpg

Here's how it looks packed in the L15:
    L15 v S19: a revelation-img_20190809_103401-jpg

L15 v S19: a revelation-img_20190809_103451-jpg

It's packed to the gills. I could maybe stuff a washcloth in there. But it still looks great and feels comfortable.

Then I packed it in my S19.
    L15 v S19: a revelation-img_20190809_103704-jpg

L15 v S19: a revelation-img_20190809_103641-jpg

Is there more leftover room? Yes. I could definitely pack it with more. The problem is, I don't like the way it looks when it's packed full. It's just an aesthetic preference.

That was my revelation.

Would a frame sheet help? Maybe. But I looked at photos of the S22, and I prefer it underpacked, too.

And! I further extended this thinking to my A30 which I only like to carry when it's packed full! On my last 3-day trip, I packed extra stuff just to fill up the bag!

I have preferences for how much to fill or not fill other bags, too. In fact, my Luminary is the only bag that I like both when it's nearly empty and when it's completely full.

Here's where this leads me. I want a bag with externally accessible compartments for my laptop and water bottle: a Synik. And I want to carry about 20 L of stuff, so the 22 should be fine... But I aesthetically prefer the Synapse underpacked so I'm definitely going to buy an S30!

This took me a week of doubt and uncertainty, and I figured I can't be the only one who doesn't know this about themselves. So here ya go, internet!
    Last edited by Lia; 08-10-2019 at 08:39 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knowing your own quirks, cognitive biases, and preferences is most of the battle, right!?

Hope the SN30 works out for you, but maybe get the SN22 as well to test pack and see how they feel.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, of course I should order both 22 and 30, try them... And then keep them both!

Michigan, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am SO glad you posted your stream of consciousness here! I like to carry the bare minimum with me, but I don't love having a stuffed bag. This is great food for thought.
    kindness is contagious.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Thank you for sharing this! Your thought process was so logical and well stated. Your photos and packing list are appreciated. The surprise twist at the end, when you revealed your decision to get a SN30 was delightful! elisa