Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy In Memoriam: TB PCSB, OG Style

I really miss the OG-style Packing Cube Shoulder Bag as having the attachment points on the end (leaving the mouth unobstructed) is 80% of the use for me! I'd also add the new style attachment points are too feminine for me to every use it as a cross-body bag, although admittedly that simply comes down to personal style.

Here's one of the many use-cases why I loved the OG PCSB:

Add a few clips as it's the air-travel personal bag of your dreams! (big enough for a full diddy bag of food and travel goodies like tissues, eye mask, aspirin, etc) AND full-sized headphones AND full size battery AND odds/ends organizer pouch AND 2 cell phones or a 7" tablet in the front pockets AND power cables! DREAM. TRAVEL. BAG. I also use a Nordic one for ALL of my pool swimming gear including a mesh shoulder bag if stuff is wet, wearing it cross-body style to the pool.

The OG-PCSB is the last thing in my backpack/Pilot before I go and the first thing out in the seat.

Yesterday the OG-PCSB and I were lucky enough to ride DL-One from Tokyo to LAX:

These OG-PCSBs are the last of their kind!

I salute them!
    Last edited by GrussGott; 10-19-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both and still much prefer the original!

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lami View Post
    I have both and still much prefer the original!
    Same here ��
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same !

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like both styles, but I have to admit that the o-ring on the side style is my favorite in all the smaller zippered shoulder bags.

I understand that some people complained about the shoulder strap encroaching on the zipper, but that has never been a problem for me.

I have to admit that my smaller zippered shoulder bags are usually carried inside a bigger backpack or tote, which means that the
    stress of the shoulder strap(s) encroaching on the zipper(s).

I also think that the side anchor points straps were developed for the Field Journal Notebook, so are tried and true to hold more weight than the side o-rings are designed for.

Note that I am only a user and that the Crew has probably more technical explanations for the change.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I have both and I much prefer the attachment points on the ends from the old style.

The attachment points on the sides get in my way. Because of that, I don't use the new bags, I always reach for the old style bag when I'm packing. Eventually I will find a use for the new bag, until then it sits unused. elisa

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same. I was excited for the new colors, but ended up returning my Dawn PCSB with the new attachment points. I treasure the ones I have in the original style.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Darcy - any chance of a return to the old attachment points?
    Last edited by GrussGott; 10-21-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chiming in with love of the original style attachment points. I often attach a waist belt to my PCSBs and wear it fanny pack style which isn't possible with the current style bags.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this issue of original attachment points apply to both the PCSB and the Side Kick especially since both can be used as an in-flight bag. I realize I can still use the knitting carabiners on the Side Kick to hang on an airplane seat pocket, but it’s more of a pain to wiggle it through the narrow shoulder strap webbing loop or the waist belt webbing loop. Much easier with the original snaphook attachment point.

In Memoriam: TB PCSB, OG Style-side-kick-1-jpgIn Memoriam: TB PCSB, OG Style-side-kick-2-jpg

These pictures come from BWeaves’ plea to bring back the snaphook: https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...aphook-sk.html

While I do love the new 210d colors of PCSB, I only use them as packing cubes; they are not nearly as versatile with the new attachment points. I remember when the changes occurred, but now rereading the blog post, I see that four people had problems with the zipper getting fuzzy and worn-looking. Mind you, only one complaint with each of these four bags: Co-Pilot, Pilot, Cadet, and Side Kick. Those four complaints were enough to cause the change in attachment points. Read about it here: https://blog.tombihn.com/updates-sna...oint-placement

Hope the TB crew will read these opinions and return the attachment points to their original state.

While on the subject of packing cube shoulder bags, I am also hoping to see a return of 400d PCSBs. I do like the thicker fabric when using it as a purselike object.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post

While on the subject of packing cube shoulder bags, I am also hoping to see a return of 400d PCSBs. I do like the thicker fabric when using it as a purselike object.
    +1 on a thicker fabric option. Enough rigidity to stand sturdy and upright when empty.

On the mention of other fabrics, a PCSB in clear for stadium bag use would be nice for stadium admittance and other uses.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    @Darcy - any chance of a return to the old attachment points?
    Some here may know this and others may not, so: this is the reason why the strap attachment points were changed. We made the change out of an abundance of caution and care for the durability of a bag when it came to the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag; we don't want anyone's zipper to fail prematurely if we can help it... it's annoying for you guys and costly for us to replace the zipper or the entire bag.

The feedback here is duly noted and appreciated; we have already been putting some thought into possible solutions based on previous feedback. I donít anticipate this is going to be a quick fix... itís something we need to experiment around and consider thoughtfully. Iíll post an update here when I have one!
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    The feedback here is duly noted and appreciated; we have already been putting some thought into possible solutions based on previous feedback. I don’t anticipate this is going to be a quick fix... it’s something we need to experiment around and consider thoughtfully. I’ll post an update here when I have one!
    You could offer both options, note the risk & probability, and let people vote with their wallets : )

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I deeply regret letting my original PCSB go and would most certainly order more if the original strap system was re-introduced. (Just saying!) :)
    Definitely not parting with my original SK.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bags where the zippers had fuzziness issues, are the ones in which, the combined weight of their construction and capacity, (you can carry a lot in them) was probably the cause of the pressure, on the zipper.

Direct quote from Darcy:
    "Cadet
    Pilot
    Co-Pilot
    Side Kick
    Daylight Briefcase (though we haven’t heard about this issue from anyone using a Daylight Briefcase, its shoulder strap attachment points were placed in a way similar to that on the other bags, so we went ahead and changed it too)"

I understand the need to change the straps for the Cadet, Pilot, Co-Pilot and Daylight Briefcase bags which are EDC.

But, I mostly use my PCSB inside another bag and the side rings are great to secure it with the outer bag o-rings, especially the Swift for dress up outings.

And inside every single one of my EDCs for shopping, classes, lectures (to hold hat, cardigan, gloves and scarf) or, to protect my current paperback book.

My Dawn PCSB, which is a favorite color, has the new wide strap configuration with side front and back attachment points. It has been fitted with a Ghost Whale Pouch waiting for its purpose.

Maybe holding note taking items when consulting books or other primary sources documents that cannot be checked out.

I have the Side Kick and Daylight Briefcase in both configurations, I prefer the O-ring attachment points and the thin strap to carry items in my big EDC or, use them as shoulder bags instead of the SCB, in conjunction with a Swift or a Pop Tote for a dressier look.

The ones with the new wide strap configuration with side front and back attachment points, were bought, for their colors which are now discontinued.
    The Daylight Briefcase as a thin and light laptop holder with Cache and the Side Kick as an eventual replacement to the Field Journal Notebook which has the same front and back attachment points and has been an EDC since day 1.

Both have been re-purposed for note taking organizing duties. The same might happen to the Dawn PCSB.

I write a lot in the Field Journal Notebook. When the FJN is at capacity, or at the end of the year, whichever comes first, I need a way to keep my notes together, chronologically and thematically, inside the Medium Yeoman, which has replaced a Swift, due to the need for a volume capacity upgrade.

Edited to say that I had forgotten I had posted earlier.

I think, I entered the first post before completing its last edit because the phrase "I have to admit that my smaller zippered shoulder bags are usually carried inside a bigger backpack or tote, which means that the stress of the shoulder strap(s) encroaching on the zipper(s)", looks incomplete, it should add "doesn't happen in my case".

PS: a good D.I.Y for easy removal of a Simple Shoulder Bag on a redesigned Side Kick is to place a Triangle Clip where the Gatekeeper clip is. Triangle Clip: https://www.tombihn.com/products/par...nt=16645156935

PPS: If your Side Kick gets as much as a workout as my FJN does, keep the Gatekeeper clip on.
    Last edited by backpack; 10-24-2019 at 12:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast