Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synik 30 Review/Photo thread with color comparisons

Hi, I just received my Synik 30 (blue parapack) and Daylight Briefcase (Nordic Halcyon) and thought I'd quickly add some comparison pics. I'll be able to do a few more tonight next to my Steel A45 and some more color comparisons with other key strap, pouch and cord colors.

These are all clickable thumbnails to take you to the full size.

First a bunch of colors all next to each other:

Then someone wanted to see coyote against the blue (the small ghost is in 525 ballistic):

Some keystraps vs different types of blue, navy parapack and deep blue 525 (and nordic halcyon in background):

And finally some laptop pics, this is a 13" macbook with reasonably bulky neoprene sleeve with handle:

As you can see it fits just exactly in the DLBC:

And also the Synik 30 compartment:
    Last edited by BihnBag; 11-11-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to quickly add that people are right about the pics not really doing the Parapack justice, it is a really nice almost cel shaded style. I prefer the look and feel of it to 525, but we'll see how things hold up over time.

Halcyon 400 has also really surprised me, I quite like the square pattern and the material feels nice and tough to the touch, it will certainly last quite some time if suitably cared for.
    It's a shame Nordic is being phased out it's pretty nice.

On top this being my first time feeling 525 in those ghost pouches I got, it's a real shame 1050 is going out. I feel like 1050 is absolutely bomb proof but I don't feel the same about 525, for a travel bag.
    Maybe that is just a feeling rather than in practice but when you don't have the feeling that your stuff is bomb proof I find that makes you approach things differently, and not for the better. Confidence in the tools you take are a nice part of a travel experience.
    Last edited by BihnBag; 11-11-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a few pics, mainly to give people an idea of different color pulls on the bag, but also a few other extras.

Here are my 3 bags all together, Synik 30 in navy parapack, dlbc in nordic halcyon and A45 in steel 1050 ballistic:

Some pouch color comparisons against the parapck and 525 blue:

close-up:

similar comparison with straps:

Now the bag with different color pulls on it (roughly):

Here's the combo I decided to go for:

and there is some logic to the madness (tell someone to go into the yellow/wasabi pocket for example to get yellow pouch):

Here is what it looks like inside, you can see I did the 3DOC idea on the top o-rings on the top of the clamshell:

The bottom pocket is really roomy, fits small ballistic shop bag, a compact umbrella and still has room:

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I'm a little disappointed with is the travel tray.

It's clearly well made, but I don't think the design fits using 210 ballistic, even though I really like the color:

As you can see, it doesn't cinch tightly so things could fall out. I imagine halcyon closes to a smaller hole.

I guess the small shop bag could be a little bigger too, it surprised me how small it is after seeing product pictures...but it fits in the bottom on the Synik well so there is that.
    Last edited by BihnBag; 11-11-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of your photos are so awesome and helpful. Thanks for sharing! That Nordic Halcyon looks great in your photos as well. It's not a color I've ever experienced in real life.

On 1050D vs. 525D - I have a few accessories and a Co-Pilot made in 1050D. I love the burly feel of the fabric. However, I have to say there are a lot of Tom Bihn designs that DO feel like they're better in 525D than 1050D. The 1050D is very stiff and unyielding- good for things that must maintain shape. I think I would count the Q-Kit, Pilot, and Co-Pilot among those.

But a lot of travel items are better if they have a little give and that 525D feels like a good choice for those. That said, I still really, really miss 1000D Cordura in the TB lineup. To me it's still the perfect fabric with just the right amount of drape, of give, and durability.

Quote Originally Posted by BihnBag View Post
    The only thing I'm a little disappointed with is the travel tray.

It's clearly well made, but I don't think the design fits using 210 ballistic, even though I really like the color:

As you can see, it doesn't cinch tightly so things could fall out. I imagine halcyon closes to a smaller hole.
    I'm going to have to have a look at my Halcyon Travel Trays (which I love, and even with a minimal travel onebag I still manage to pack one), and let you know what the hole size is like.

However, I did notice a similar effect on my A45 TLSS in 210D Ballistic. After awhile and some use the fabric will soften up a little bit and it will cinch more tightly. There will still be a hole, but it should be less drastic than in your photo.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting these detailed photos. It's making me really want a Navy Parapack Synik 30. I'd thought that parapack was a matte fabric, but it looks to have a sheen in your photos. Can you comment?

Forum Member
    Munich, Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    It's making me really want a Navy Parapack Synik 30.
    No kidding. Too bad it doesn't have any more interesting interior colors to go with it.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Synik is black parapack, and it does have a sheen. It's a uniform sheen, unlike the slightly sparkly sheen of the 525 ballistic.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    Thanks for posting these detailed photos. It's making me really want a Navy Parapack Synik 30. I'd thought that parapack was a matte fabric, but it looks to have a sheen in your photos. Can you comment?
    If I understand what you mean, yes it does have a sheen but it really takes on "dark" well to look more like a sort of cel-shaded appearance in the light that is very nice.

I think this pic from @bartleby showing the side by side with his 525 guides edition synapse is a good example, look at how the dark areas really contrast and pop the blue.

https://forums.tombihn.com/attachmen...-a-synik-3-jpg

More pics in his thread here: https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ynik-30-a.html