Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut 30 one bagging in Italy for 11 days

I just got back from Italy and being a pro at procrastination, am doing a trip report instead of unpacking and trip laundry! I never checked the Aeronaut and kept it under seat for most flights, which I can do because I'm short.

Here's a picture of the packed bag along with Lorenzo the silly lion I picked up canal-side in Venice.
    Aeronaut 30 one bagging in Italy for 11 days-img_0656-jpg

On the left a steel PCSB with my in flight necessities. I had an inflatable pillow, Side Effect with passport and wallet, phone (new iPhone 11 with battery life I never had to worry about) paperback book, external battery pack. I usually travel with a Kindle but was in the middle of an excellent book (The Great Believers) and wanted to finish it. Plus I think real books are excellent props when traveling :)

The main compartment has the Aeronaut 30 packing cube backpack in packing cube mode, which held all my clothing and was a great day bag the days I needed a sweater and an umbrella, which was most days.
    The Second Aid pouch held my Starbucks Via coffee and immersion heater because being without coffee is a dangerous proposition for me. I only needed the immersion heater in my Venice hotel room. The other places I stayed had kettles.
    The wasabi PCBS held my Teva sandals, which I really didn't need but thought I would. Next time I'll travel with lighter slides or flip-flops. I only ever wore them to breakfast in the hotel.

On the right a wasabi clear cube with my medications and toothbrush and a Ziplock bag with toiletries.

On the go most of the time I wore my Side Effect sling bag style, (like how cool people wear fanny packs these days) with the waist strap. This was really helpful as it kept all my necessities right in front of me and always in view. I carried my passport (needed for entrance to the Venice Biennale) and credit cards and cash and phone in it.

I did five flights, three trains, three cities (Genoa, Venice, Rome) and this system worked really well. I'd do it again!
    Here's a last pic with Renzo the silly lion who was squished inside for the return flight but didn't complain.
    Aeronaut 30 one bagging in Italy for 11 days-img_0653-jpg

Edit to add my trip all-stars: a long sleeve Smartwool tee that I used as a sweater, Lululemon on the fly pants, iPhone 11 with Sprint international high speed data pass ($25/week and money well spent) and Altra Timp shoes. A note about the Sprint high speed data pass: you're supposed to get a text when you turn on your phone at your destination, but I never did. Luckily I was able to purchase it anyway. I did get a text when the first week was over.
    Last edited by Rocks; 11-13-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut 30 one bagging in Italy for 11 days

Awesome—and Renzo is adorable Aeronaut 30 one bagging in Italy for 11 days

Hope you made it out before the acqua alta made it in!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kathryn; 11-13-2019 at 03:21 PM.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    Awesome—and Renzo is adorable Aeronaut 30 one bagging in Italy for 11 days

Hope you made it out before the acqua alta made it in!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was high the day I left (the 9th) and there was a warning the day before. Some of the people in my group stayed in Venice longer and they said there was no getting out. Poor Venice.

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a picture of the Aeronaut in situ. I had the cutest room in Roma near the Piazza Navona that was accessed by its own private spiral staircase. I would not have wanted to schlep a roller bag up this particular stair!
    Aeronaut 30 one bagging in Italy for 11 days-img_0504-jpeg
    Aeronaut 30 one bagging in Italy for 11 days-img_0500-jpg

and here's a pic of the acqua alta in Venice while I was there. This is tame compared to how bad it got after I left. The biennale shut down and many palazzos shut down too.
    Aeronaut 30 one bagging in Italy for 11 days-img_0439-jpeg

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    May I ask what the temperature was? I'm looking at the sheets on the bed thinking I'd be cold. Did they provide blankets? Of course, I'm in Alaska, so we are expecting snow tonight so maybe I'm biased.

Thank you for sharing! Great report!! elisa

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    Here's a picture of the Aeronaut in situ. I had the cutest room in Roma near the Piazza Navona that was accessed by its own private spiral staircase. I would not have wanted to schlep a roller bag up this particular stair!

and here's a pic of the acqua alta in Venice while I was there. This is tame compared to how bad it got after I left. The biennale shut down and many palazzos shut down too.
    I've seen some photos of people wheeling their roller bags through the water in Venice. Another situation where having a Tom Bihn bag would make travel so much easier!
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    May I ask what the temperature was? I'm looking at the sheets on the bed thinking I'd be cold. Did they provide blankets? Of course, I'm in Alaska, so we are expecting snow tonight so maybe I'm biased.

Thank you for sharing! Great report!! elisa
    It was around 60F every day. Way warmer than the instawinter I came back to in Minnesota. There was a blanket under the sheet too. I mostly kept the window open so I could listen to the rain.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice trip and pics Rocks. Thanks for sharing!