Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HLT1 - Handy Little Thing 1 Pouch - first impressions

Here's a new Logic Blue 630d 50% recycled nylon Handy Little Thing 1 pouch

My first thought was that it will make a great work/tool bag for when I'm running trials on a production line, so that's what this first pack out shows. I'll give it a real world test in late December.
    I'll also try out airplane back-of-seat-pocket and EDC miscellany packouts.
    So far, I like the smaller swivel clips.

I really like how compact it is and how it fits in my hand when holding open like a book. My hand and thumb fit fine.
    I chose a hardback notebook because I think that will be easier for writing whilst standing, etc.
    This was the type of stuff I previously stuffed into a Small Ghost Whale (except for the notebook). I like that I can fit it all in the HLT1 with more space for extras plus fitting the notebook. It's not stuffed and I didn't even use the o-rings or the two small zip pockets behind the webbing.

Not stuffed full
    HLT1 - Handy Little Thing 1 Pouch - first impressions-img_20191127_143001-jpg

Front pocket has the 8" key strap...
    Mini roll duct tape; bottle opener & emergency whistle on clip; 10' tape measure; small Post-Its
    HLT1 - Handy Little Thing 1 Pouch - first impressions-img_20191127_143023-jpg

Inside
    HLT1 - Handy Little Thing 1 Pouch - first impressions-img_20191127_143038-jpg

What's inside
    3 different rulers; safety cutter; mechanical pencil; micro screw driver; binder clip; hardback notebook 5 1/2 x 3 1/2
    3 pens; 1 Sharpie; 1 eraser; 1 highlighter

HLT1 - Handy Little Thing 1 Pouch - first impressions-img_20191127_143134-jpg

The only problems I encountered were remembering which side was 'up' when loading (it helped to actually hold it with my hand through the loops to load) and this notebook has a built-in ribbon bookmark that I immediately caught in the main zipper. I would either completely cut out or trim the ribbon to prevent that in the future.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! When hanging open, either in a bag or airline seat back, are the zippered pockets opening up? In other words, could you slide a Kindle or whatever in during the flight with the bag open clamshell style?
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Kindle Paperwhite and it just barely fits into the HLT1 landscape orientation, but with NO case. I wouldn't ever carry it this way though because i think it would put stress on the zippers, impact my ability to put much else inside that's 3D and I wouldn't want anything pushing against the Kindle screen.

With all that being said, if it was clipped to the seat back and the dual zippers were unzipped from the center just enough to hold the Kindle upright in portrait orientation, I wouldn't have an issue stashing it there momentarily, like when getting up from my seat.

The front zipper can be facing 'up' if that's how you attach it to the seat (you can clip to either set of thumb sections on the back, to accommodate both handedness)... that pocket isn't as deep as the main bag however, so I don't think it's as secure.

I don't have the size 2 yet, but it may work better for that one... I do have a Seapine HLT2 already on my wish list for Monday :)
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G42,

The paper-pen-notebook part of me has to ask about that cool looking notebook! Leather cover and brass studs holding it together??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KmK View Post
    G42,
    The paper-pen-notebook part of me has to ask about that cool looking notebook! Leather cover and brass studs holding it together??
    I'm pretty sure this was a random one I picked up at Target or something when I was on a work trip and forgot my Moleskine. It's a C.R. Gibson 'Markings'... I think they're about $10 or so for this size. It's small enough to fit just about anywhere, including my back pocket. Since it's a pretty thick hardcover, it's also good for when you're standing around taking notes with no desk/table, which pretty much defines any factory floor I go to. And since it's not an expensive Tomoe River paper piece of artwork, I don't feel as guilty ripping out pages, getting gunk from the factory on it, etc.
    I don't know if it's leather or pleather. It has the ribbon bookmark and the little envelope thing on the back cover.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G42,

Thanks! And oh, I get it about which notebooks go where and why and paper removal...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for those pics, G42. I'd been considering HLT1 to wrangle my miscellaneous power cords and dongles for travel (and I was waiting for the Halcyon to come back in stock) BUT seeing your pictures made me realize it's potential for a similar use at work. (I currently use an old make-up case which holds pens nicely, but my cords & dongles get tangled up (and it's not worth the effort to wrap up the power cord)...and the seapine was in stock so... :)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wormie View Post
    Thanks for those pics, G42. I'd been considering HLT1 to wrangle my miscellaneous power cords and dongles for travel (and I was waiting for the Halcyon to come back in stock) BUT seeing your pictures made me realize it's potential for a similar use at work. (I currently use an old make-up case which holds pens nicely, but my cords & dongles get tangled up (and it's not worth the effort to wrap up the power cord)...and the seapine was in stock so... :)
    Once you have a chance to test out that combination of items, please post some pics and share! And Seapine is a super cool new colour & fabric - just bought a Travel Cubelet...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G42, will do!

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    It's a C.R. Gibson 'Markings'...

And since it's not an expensive Tomoe River paper piece of artwork, I don't feel as guilty ripping out pages, getting gunk from the factory on it, etc.
    Or cutting off the elastic band?!