Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I don't know about using the PIKA as a boarding bag. If I'm only allowed one purse like object plus a carry on bag, I want the purse like object to be bigger and hold more.

I think of the PIKA more of a substitute for pockets that women's clothing lacks for day to day activities, on days when I'm not wearing a Macabi skirt.
    Like @moriond I see this as an addition to your personal item, either as an organiser inside of it, or worn separately. Usually at the gate, if they don't like the way your bags are organised (e.g. you have 3 and they only allow 1 or 2) you can condense them and be allowed on. In my experience when this has been a small cross-body clutch like item (around the same size as the PIKA, though horizontal), they've done no more than give it a glance!
    Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Café Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about using the PIKA as a boarding bag. If I'm only allowed one purse like object plus a carry on bag, I want the purse like object to be bigger
    I often have my in-flight stuff in my SE worn crossbody, sometimes with my carry on bag on my back and my personal item in my hand. I could easily pop the SE in my personal item, but I've never been called on it. 🤷*♀️

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

Just my thoughts here.

moriond

ETA: I don’t want to be paranoid here, but another thought is that when you get up to use the airplane bathroom on long flights, you don’t have room to easily bring along your bigger purse, and you may not have someone you’re traveling with to “guard it” — those rest rooms are pretty cramped and small. I like the notion that I could separate out my essentials and carry it around my neck while I wash my hands etc.
    Good point. Although, I have no problem if my essentials (passport, thin wallet, etc.) are already in my money belt or Macabi skirt pocket. I guess my main thought was once I'm on the airplane, I don't need my boarding pass in a PIKA. And before I board, it's usually in the outside pocket of my carryon. I definitely get that the PIKA will be useful for some people and other people will already have a way of carrying the items the PIKA carries. I know the Binions will find all sorts of fascinating uses for the PIKA.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you put an eyeglasses case in the PIKA? Or is that too thick for it.

At my most minimalist, I need to carry a minimalist wallet, key fob, and eyeglasses case.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Can you put an eyeglasses case in the PIKA? Or is that too thick for it.

At my most minimalist, I need to carry a minimalist wallet, key fob, and eyeglasses case.
    I tried with a couple of my eyeglass and sunglass cases and whilst they would fit in, I would never do it. They take up all the space in either the center or back pocket and bow the bag so much that it's very hard to use the other pockets. Sorry, it's too dark right now for pics.
    I don't know how a tiny case of those low-profile 'cheaters' would work...

If you have a Travel Cubelet, that would work better.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a PIKA just to see it in person. But now I'm thinking it will be a good office purse for days when my outfit does not have pockets. Today I'm totally annoyed with my security badge. There is absolutely no place to clip it, and the lanyard I'm wearing to hold the badge is banging up against my necklaces and the desk. If I could clip it to the PIKA crossbody, and carry my phone and Allett wallet, that would be great.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I ordered a PIKA just to see it in person. But now I'm thinking it will be a good office purse for days when my outfit does not have pockets. Today I'm totally annoyed with my security badge. There is absolutely no place to clip it, and the lanyard I'm wearing to hold the badge is banging up against my necklaces and the desk. If I could clip it to the PIKA crossbody, and carry my phone and Allett wallet, that would be great.
    Hi @BWeaves,
    Some ID badges have a clip option at the top that would allow you to secure it to the front zippered pocket (unzipped or partly unzipped). Would that work for you? (I’m assuming that your hanging ID badge has a vertical orientation, maybe with your photo, and that you have to have it visible when you’re wearing the PIKA) Your Allett Wallet could go either in the front pocket or get zipped up in the back mesh pocket.

That seems a fast delivery to the east coast.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I tried with a couple of my eyeglass and sunglass cases and whilst they would fit in, I would never do it. They take up all the space in either the center or back pocket and bow the bag so much that it's very hard to use the other pockets. Sorry, it's too dark right now for pics.
    I don't know how a tiny case of those low-profile 'cheaters' would work...

If you have a Travel Cubelet, that would work better.
    I agree a Travel Cubelet would be better. I can fit my glasses in their Côte&Ciel Mykita Eyewear Pouch into the back mesh pouch, but this is a soft eyewear pouch, shown originally here in @adalangton’s post
    Last edited by moriond; 12-04-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That seems a fast delivery to the east coast.

moriond

[/URL]

Nope, it'll be middle of next week before I get the PIKA. I'm just fantasizing how I want to use it. At first I didn't think it was something I could use, but I'm beginning to come up with all sorts of uses.

My security badge has a clip, and an optional lanyard. I usually clip it to my neckline or my belt loop (if I have one) or pant or skirt pocket (if there is one). But today I'm wearing a knit dress, and it just won't clip to the neckline, and there are no belts or pockets or anything.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 12-04-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Forum Member
    Munich, Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t want to be paranoid here, but another thought is that when you get up to use the airplane bathroom on long flights, you don’t have room to easily bring along your bigger purse, and you may not have someone you’re traveling with to “guard it”
    Is theft on airplanes really a concern? Everyone there paid $100+ to be there. It's pretty inefficient to buy a plane ticket and spend the time in transit just in case someone sitting near you leaves some valuables on their seat. Just check for things when you return to your seat; if anything is missing, tell a flight attendant. No one can leave the airplane with your belongings, and the FA will want to get the situation resolved so no one can cry foul over them and the airline's service.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pretty much never leave my wallet and valuables unattended, unless I am home or at work. If I'm on a train, plane, coffee shop, or whatever, they go with me when I leave my seat. To me, this is just common sense, and I pack in such a way that this is easy to do.

Theft on airplanes does occur, (though as you say, it's probably uncommon), and the flight attendant would not have the authority to search other passengers to recover someone's missing items.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellsass View Post
    Is theft on airplanes really a concern? Everyone there paid $100+ to be there. It's pretty inefficient to buy a plane ticket and spend the time in transit just in case someone sitting near you leaves some valuables on their seat. Just check for things when you return to your seat; if anything is missing, tell a flight attendant. No one can leave the airplane with your belongings, and the FA will want to get the situation resolved so no one can cry foul over them and the airline's service.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellsass View Post
    Is theft on airplanes really a concern?
    Oh yes! I was on a plane where someone got up and went through peoples stuff in their overheads and seat pockets while they were asleep, and stole stuff.

My valuables stay on me in zippered pouches worn under my clothes at all times during a vacation.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nope, it'll be middle of next week before I get the PIKA. I'm just fantasizing how I want to use it. At first I didn't think it was something I could use, but I'm beginning to come up with all sorts of uses.

My security badge has a clip, and an optional lanyard. I usually clip it to my neckline or my belt loop (if I have one) or pant or skirt pocket (if there is one). But today I'm wearing a knit dress, and it just won't clip to the neckline, and there are no belts or pockets or anything.
    Would something like this work for you?
    P.I.K.A  as boarding bag-61f2abc0-5f29-40a9-9ea7-8783f3b57d01-jpeg

That’s from a conference meeting badge or a visitor ID badge.

moriond

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also thinking of clipping my security badge to the top edge of the PIKA.

The PIKA actually reminds me of the Colonial women's pocket. Everything old is new again.

P.I.K.A  as boarding bag-capture-png

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of great thoughts here already, so I don't have much to add...I'm just posting what I posted on Ravelry a few days ago:

https://www.ravelry.com/discuss/tom-...s/3983254/1-25

I just road tested the PIKA Pouch and found it to be perfect for getting through the airport.
    I got the UV one (still can’t resist purple!)

I wore it crossbody under my coat. It perfectly fit:

iPhone in phone compartment
    Super Mini Ghost Whale Pouch used as a wallet (but also a Clear Organizer Wallet fits in well) in front zippered pocket
    Lip Balm and COW in Black Mesh zippered pocket
    Two passports and Customs form in Black Mesh slide pocket

Pretty much everything I needed to have handy and secure was right at my fingertips… then the whole thing slipped easily into my Personal Item (Co-Pilot for this trip) when I was past security, customs, and onto the plane through the gate.

During the trip, I used the Icon, and the PIKA pouch fit nicely in there as well.
    One of the most stressful things for me during plane travel is getting through without losing/forgetting/misplacing anything when I am distracted and needing a few more hands to hold everything. I’ll admit I was rather skeptical about having another little pouch, but the PIKA was perfect!

Front with zippered pocket (o-ring inside
    P.I.K.A  as boarding bag-de74eaef-25bc-4629-b30c-0f3285580c3e-jpeg

Phone Compartment
    P.I.K.A  as boarding bag-26e1ab75-c06d-4990-b203-7c57fdb48ac1-jpeg

Black mesh slide pocket
    P.I.K.A  as boarding bag-9c46e0bb-d277-4381-b632-3409136a3d4d-jpeg

Black mesh zippered pocket
    P.I.K.A  as boarding bag-63cada46-2785-455b-ac64-f9db7cf3d325-jpeg

COW(=Clear Organizer Wallet) and Mini Ghost Whale Pouch fits inside front zippered pocket
    P.I.K.A  as boarding bag-22bf1f9a-394b-40ba-a130-ee373fcdde65-jpeg

Edited so that @gochicken’s original post photos are included in this post. They still show up under her ownership since a TB forum mod added them to her post
    Last edited by moriond; 12-05-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors Wink, Multiplying OPs Smilie

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm also thinking of clipping my security badge to the top edge of the PIKA.
    It depends on whether you’re planning to carry your phone in that main pocket and/or how far off center you want to move that clip. There’s the magnetic closure region in the form of a large disk sewn in where there’s that central dip. It can also be annoying to stick your phone into the main pocket and have the top edge of that clip scrape against your hand. I also don’t know the size and orientation of your ID badge, but I took one the visitor’s badge IDs I’m given for one location and just attached it to the PIKA to give you an idea of how this might work. You’ll need to experiment with what works best for you.
    The PIKA actually reminds me of the Colonial women's pocket. Everything old is new again.

P.I.K.A  as boarding bag-capture-png
    The last time we got into a discussion like this on the forums was back in 2014, when they introduced the iPhone 6+, and everyone was wondering where to carry it. And remember how you said earlier that you didn’t need the PIKA if, when on the plane, you had your essentials in your Macabi skirt pocket? Well, @gochicken spoke about carrying her phone in a skort pocket, and then @Amy said (prophetically for the naming of the P.I.K.A.=Phone, ID/wallet, Keys, and a few Accessories):
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    @gochicken and all other women who carry phones in your pockets:

So where do you carry your keys, wallet, and all the other stuff that normally goes in a purse? Do you cram all that in your pockets as well?
    @backpack stated:
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    People! I mean ladies, what is coming back is the reticule:a woman's drawstring handbag; usually made of net or beading or brocade; used in 18th and 19th centuries.
    and then @scribe posted:
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    It's even older than a reticule - the bag SJP is wearing looks more like a medieval belt pouch (much beloved by RenFaire goers):

Maybe I should buy one at the next big SF convention I go to :)
    @Badger made a really long summary post in response to @Janine’s question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    How far back can we go? What predates the belt pouch?
    And concluded with:
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Does the Ark of the Covenant count? It's not as lightweight as a fanny pack and it takes two people minimum to carry it, but your iPhone definitely wouldn't get bent in there.
    @TavaPeak gave her opinion:
    Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    Ark of the Covenant - works for me. Especially if 4 hunky men hoist the Ark poles and follow wherever I go. Now that's Portable Culture.
    And @Amy came back with:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Just use a badger sporran. Problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    ^ Eh. It may have a face, but it's still a purse.

You probably also don't want your giant iPhone right in front of the family jewels.
    …and people started finding/posting/commenting on all sorts of sporran variants.

Newer forum members, I wouldn’t want you to think that we don’t take our product research seriously! If you want to go back to the original thread (New Apple Stuff) for any of these quotes viewable in context, just tap or click on the arrow to the right at the top of each quote.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast