Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pick-Up Truck - First Impressions

Here's a happy Dawn 210 ballistic Pick-Up Truck, the little sibling to the current original 'The Truck' and the new Monster Truck.

Maybe because I already have several original Trucks and it's a mini version or maybe it's just the aspect ratio, but this bag makes me smile. :)
    So.Darn.Cute.
    ahem

The Pick-Up and Monster keep the same vertical and straps as the original, so you can hand carry or shoulder/tuck under arm carry.

Umbrella & wine in one side pocket
    Hardcover book, Side Kick, Side Effect, 16oz Nalgene in the center
    Handy Little Thing1 in other side pocket
    Pick-Up Truck - First Impressions-img_20191128_080855-jpg

Top View - I didn't stuff, there's room for OPs, etc.
    Pick-Up Truck - First Impressions-img_20191128_080929-jpg

Small Travel Tray in one side pocket
    Hardcover book, A5 Ghost Whale with several journals inside, Side Kick in the center
    Umbrella & 16oz Nalgene in other side pocket
    Pick-Up Truck - First Impressions-img_20191128_081244-jpg

Top View - again, not stuffed
    Pick-Up Truck - First Impressions-img_20191128_081201-jpg

For when you want to carry random things, need a little structure from the dividers and the base, and don't need top zipper closure, this is very useful. Since the top doesn't close, you can have tall pokey bits at different heights with no issues (baguette anyone?), though they do better in the end pockets if you're trying to shoulder carry/tuck under your arm.
    I think it would make a great day trip bag for the car: book, sunglasses case, water bottles, coffee thermos, journals, blanket, etc. - all in one place.

Later today, I'll load it up with two wine bottles, cheeses, crackers, containers for leftovers, water bottle, etc. for the Friendsgiving dinner I'm going to.
    Last edited by G42; 11-28-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Reminds me of an OSSB with bigger side pockets. Next thing is a zip top version?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    Reminds me of an OSSB with bigger side pockets. Next thing is a zip top version?
    It reminds me of that too!
    The oSSB is 15L and the PUT is 11L... so the oSSB holds more and is basically an open volume without structure. The neat thing about the Truck family is that you have the constraint of the divisions but also the support of the base so it stands up on it's own. With the firm base, it's ideal for things that are taller than the actual tote. Adding a zip would remove that functionality for me, so it's not something I'm looking for.

The other thing that the Trucks remind me of are the open top trugs/carry-alls used in gardening, house cleaning, etc.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I wouldn't want a Truck with a zip top, it just seems to be an inevitable progression based on the shop bags. Sometimes I wish my OLSBs were ZTSBs, but not often. And I've never wished my Truck had a zipper.

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love trucks but would hate a zipper version! Itís all about the standing up openness for dropping things in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Here's a happy Dawn 210 ballistic Pick-Up Truck, the little sibling to the current original 'The Truck' and the new Monster Truck.
    I think it would make a great day trip bag for the car: book, sunglasses case, water bottles, coffee thermos, journals, blanket, etc. - all in one place.
    Thank you for the photos and review. The car trip bag is what I'm contemplating for this one. I have a Moveable Feast, and I like its structure, but I only use it once or twice a week for the farmer's market or grocery store. It is a bit too deep to be handy as a car seat bag. I wonder what the Truck would be like with shorter handles...very much like one of those do-it-all kits referenced in an earlier post.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, crap, now I think I need BOTH new Trucks.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I wonder what the Truck would be like with shorter handles...very much like one of those do-it-all kits referenced in an earlier post.
    What would be the driver for shorter handles...?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Well, crap, now I think I need BOTH new Trucks.
    Yes you do and then we want to see what woven tags you make for all of them!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    What would be the driver for shorter handles...?
    I'm thinking of handle length in the context of a car bag, so largely kept in one place, or maybe two places in the car but without much movement out of the car. The Moveable Feast, which to me seems like an ancestor of the Pick-Up Truck, is too tall to be handy as a car bag for me (thinking of reaching for things when the bag is on the passenger side), but its short handles are easy to work around. With the Pick-Up Truck, I'm wondering if the handles get in the way at all when the rest of the bag is stationary. I'm thinking of ordering one regardless, as I like the compact divided pockets, and I can see from your photos that the handles seem to flop down and out of the way when needing to reach into the pockets.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I like the compact divided pockets, and I can see from your photos that the handles seem to flop down and out of the way when needing to reach into the pockets.
    I've only taken it into the car once so far, but I think you'll be happy with the handles. I usually cross mine (current Trucks) as much as possible over the top, so that they don't flop down the sides, but they will happily flop over the side and stay there... probably because of the weight of the poron handles vs the length

Hope you get one and let us know what you think!