Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)

This year’s December debut was an extremely rich one. So many different things to explore! Before ordering opens tomorrow, I add some more photos of the Icon and the HLTs here and hope they’re helpful.

The Icon

There has already been a lot of debate about the design and whether the curved and colored zippers are too fancy. That of course is a matter of taste but I think that especially the Black/Island (shown here) and the Nebulous/Red combo are gorgeous!!! But it not only looks sharp, it also works great!

Here is my packing list (from the top left): keys, wallet, agenda, bars, pen, light sweater, earphones, tissues, mobile phone, sunglasses, camera.

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-9a9a8589-a579-45c5-a058-47f9b9779bef-jpeg

Agenda and bars go into the back pocket. The main compartment swallows the sweater and my camera, pen goes into one of the designated slots, earphones are packed into a Super Mini Ghost Whale clipped to one of the O-Rings, mobile phone and wallet go into the two top open pockets on the inside of the front panel. Finally, keys, tissues and sunglasses are placed in the front pocket. Ready to go (by the way I am 6’).

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-2401a792-55da-41ad-aa3d-a51aa1185257-jpeg

One of the innovative features of the Icon is the “rabbit whole” that swallows the excess strap when you shorten it. In conjunction with the new quick adjusting buckle it is very easy to adjust the strap length. I made two little videos showing how that works:

The strap itself is quite long but you can shorten it down to very short to use it as a handle ;-)

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-c53ed55a-d419-40c5-b413-7ac84e125f3f-jpeg

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-3e54a622-889a-492c-88c6-78689587506d-jpeg

For those of you who need more organization the good news is that the Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slips just fits into the Icon. Ok, it is perhaps not optimal because you have to fumble a bit to use the backpockets of the Freudian Slip but otherwise it works fine. As you can see, the Freudian Slip is just as a high as the Icon. It even reaches into the “attic” of the bag (the excess space above the zipper). But you can close the zipper anyway.

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-071b237a-f94c-48c5-a178-4371f6d24e6c-jpg

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-88ef878a-bf44-4466-b642-1272edf8db14-jpeg

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-843e8a80-8bdc-4906-916d-f2dbf570e6d6-jpeg

Handy little Thing 1 and 2:

The name says it all: These two little cuties are extremely handy! As I learned from the TB description, they were designed alongside the Syniks to fit in their lower outside pocket. Thus, the smaller one (HLT 1) is assigned to the Synik 22 and the larger one to the Synik 30 (HLT 2). However, they work just as well in other bags or on their own as they have a couple of very clever features.

Here you see a HLT 1 on the left in the brand new Logic Blue 630 d Nylon and an HLT 2 on the right in good old Island Halcyon (one of my favorite fabrics, by the way!).

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-2b6c617a-3786-46a3-86e3-04ccbc401720-jpeg

The backside already reveals that they are meant to be fixed somewhere, e.g. inside of a backpack such as the Synik or at the pocket of an airline seat (pics on product page) or the outside of a backpack such as the Smart Alec. A pair of double-carabiners (for the first batch actually two pairs in different sizes) is included to help you doing that. As you can see, there are a couple of loops on the back that you can also use for a belt. I used a leather belt which is 3,9 cm (about 1,5 inch) wide and about 3 mm (0,12 inch) thick. That is about the maximum that fits through these loops. The HLT 1 has just two loops on each side while the HLT 2 has one additional smaller loop as well as an additional webbing strap in the middle (example use shown here). The large loops have the same size on both HLTs.

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-47a246c0-c994-4697-a565-aca997d22b39-jpeg

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-312e5017-902f-46b2-80b1-09353e85fab1-jpeg

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-f050430f-f583-452e-97f9-634a7d2528c7-jpeg

By the way: If you use the HLTs in this manner be careful that you do not open the top zipper more than halfwise to make sure nothing falls out! (No, the zipper doesn’t open by itself when you open it carefully).

The HLTs also have a handle on the bottom which is meant to be used when you hold them like a book (pics on the product page). I don’t use it that way but I think this handle is equally useful to pull the HLT out of a densely packed bag.

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-26869cd4-8e6f-4581-8ce5-85cdc326eaae-jpeg

To give you a better understanding of the size of the HLT 2: It has virtually the same width and height (9,1’’ x 5,3’’) as the side effect (8,7’’ x 5,1’’) – shown here in 1050 d black Ballistic – but it has a bit more depth (2,6’’ vs. 2’’).

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-3cb6e037-ea9c-4ab1-b585-ea2fed8e047d-jpeg

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-61dab747-197c-4408-85d4-4e49401495d5-jpeg

Now, the biggest asset of the HLTs are their inner organization. They open like a book and reveal their clever inner life:

First the HLT 1. I use it to organize the bits and pieces I need because my new MacBook is equipped with USB-C outlets only (looks smart but is soooo annoying). In the mesh pocket on the right I have three adapters. My presenter and a thick pen are stowed in the elastic webbing loops in the middle. My USB flash drives are stored in a Super Mini Ghost Whale and clipped to one of the O-rings (which for my taste should rather be placed on the outer not the inner side of the side panel, which would make the handling easier when you operate the HLT upright from the top. Same holds true for the zipper: I would prefer the zipper opening from the out- to the inside). Other very small adapters are stored in the two small little zipper pockets on the left. One row of the webbing loops is elastic, the other not which is great for fixing things that have clips (e.g. a multitool). There is an additional open pocket under the mesh pocket where you can store a small notebook or something similar.

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-ab3a3a96-4b64-4340-ac40-2ba216a50701-jpeg

My mobile phone (iPhone 7) fits in the outside pocket:

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-21594ed1-b02c-4c1f-8ce6-6ab05f5005a4-jpeg

Alternatively, I put a Mini Ghost Whale in the mesh pocket and my phone in the pocket underneath:

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-0b7c813f-5579-4b83-a68b-bc419bbf5f2a-jpeg

The HLT 2 has the same organizational features as the HLT 1 but everything is a bit bigger. My packing list (clockwise from the left): wallet, keys in Island Super Mini Ghost Whale, earphones in Mars Red Super Mini Ghost Whale, pocket knife (European style with a corkscrew…), bars, tissues, sunglasses and mobile phone in the outside pocket, pen in the middle, notebook (A6) with an additional pen under the mesh pocket).

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-d10c8561-fe91-42e4-ae36-914d8a2c3d7d-jpeg

Alternatively, I used a small Ghost Whale in the mesh pocket and two Super Mini Ghost Whales in the small zippered pockets.

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-6267f19e-2ff1-4b0f-84d8-3de7c7bc1758-jpeg

Personally, I like the size of the HLT 1 better than that of the HLT 2, especially when I wear it on a belt. But that – of course – depends on what you need it for and how tall you are. Both are very handy indeed!
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic write up @bartleby, thanks so much! Great to see videos of how the Icon strap works.
    I don't have the HLT2 yet and had completely missed the extra webbing on the back, despite @moriond's great pics...
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @G42, thank you so much for the feedback! Enjoyed your reviews of the Trucks and the HLT too!
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for taking the time for this amazing review! You convinced me to go for a HLT1 instead of 2! now to settle on a color....

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much - this is exactly the size comparison I needed for the #1 and #2. Do you think the HLT 2 would be too big to carry daily essentials in the Icon?
    So many bags. And I love them all.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    Thank you so much - this is exactly the size comparison I needed for the #1 and #2. Do you think the HLT 2 would be too big to carry daily essentials in the Icon?
    Hi @Antonia,

It really depends on what you want to fit into the Icon. @Crisitina showed a picture of the Side Effect in her Icon in the Marsupial Icon? thread, and this is the closest size comparison to the HLT2, though in practice you can stuff the HLT2 wider
    December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-418b29a2ea83a635d6b31a8a8cf901ea-jpg

Her comment was:
    Side Effect. I don’t like that it takes up nearly the whole width of the bag. Makes it hard to see your other stuff.
    I posted in that thread
    But, hey, I have a Side Effect in Solar, so if I wanted to put a Side Effect into the Icon, the fact that it's 200d Halcyon and Solar, doesn't really make things difficult to see inside:

(I won't do the inside shot, but it's not hard to see things with a Solar SE there).

Just my 2¢.

moriond
    If I wanted to carry the HLT2 in my Icon, I'd likely put it in vertically into the main compartment for easier access in and out, and also, if I wanted it to be carried beside my Zojurushi mug. There's still room for lots of other items in the Icon (e.g. I had an Ibex Merino wool hoodie in my back pocket -- specifically, the Midnight Hooded Indie that @NWHikergal posted about in the discussion thread Merino wool for short people?), and wallet, Mini Pouch, glasses and keys in the front pocket, and could carry other items in the main pouch like my Kindle or a notebook, but HLT2 volume does cut down on the accessible volume in the main Icon pouch

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @Antonia,

It really depends on what you want to fit into the Icon. @Crisitina showed a picture of the Side Effect in her Icon in the Marsupial Icon? thread, and this is the closest size comparison to the HLT2, though in practice you can stuff the HLT2 wider
    December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-418b29a2ea83a635d6b31a8a8cf901ea-jpg

Her comment was:

I posted in that thread

If I wanted to carry the HLT2 in my Icon, I'd likely put it in vertically into the main compartment for easier access in and out, and also, if I wanted it to be carried beside my Zojurushi mug. There's still room for lots of other items in the Icon (e.g. I had an Ibex Merino wool hoodie in my back pocket -- specifically, the Midnight Hooded Indie that @NWHikergal posted about in the discussion thread Merino wool for short people?), and wallet, Mini Pouch, glasses and keys in the front pocket, and could carry other items in the main pouch like my Kindle or a notebook, but HLT2 volume does cut down on the accessible volume in the main Icon pouch
    Thanks, Moriond! That's very helpful indeed. At the moment I've crammed my minimal EDC bits (sanitiser, floss, handkerchief, paracetamol, mini multitool, lip balm, etc.) into a Cubelet. The larger version goes into a 3D OP. I was wondering how much bigger the HLT 2 would be than the 3D OP, but I wouldn't only be using it in the Icon, I'd put it in any bag I was carrying, including the Daylight Backpack, Synapses, tote bags, etc. I usually take everything and the kitchen sink if I can, so sometimes it's good to have a limit imposed on me! I'm thinking I'll stick with the HLT 2 just as it will undoubtedly be moved between lots of different bags, so the size won't always be an issue, and I'll have a bit more wiggle room on what will fit in the pouch itself. Thanks! :D

Forum Member
    Central NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bartleby, thank you so much for the videos showing how the “rabbit hole” works on the Icon. Your reviews and stellar visuals on these debut bags are so helpful!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @Antonia,

The HLT2 has great organization within the accessory, and particularly if you're carrying items like a multi-tool (that could take advantage of the webbing to secure them) and small items (paracetamol, lip balm, floss, etc.) that can go into the mesh pocket, this is a good choice for you (over the similarly sized Side Effect, which I use a lot).

The design and handle make both HLTs more convenient/comfortable to carry in the hand, but some of the things they really excell at are the quick access to the attachment via double carabiners to o-rings/webbing loops in other bags. Here's a picture I uploaded to Ravelry in response to a question about the HLT1. This is attached via double carabiners to the o-rings in the bottom pocket of my Synik 22 in Nebulous Grey/Dawn:

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-hlt1_in_synik22_pocket-jpeg

When these pouches are attached via double carabiner clips to the O-rings at the bottom (or "chin") pocket of a Synapse or Synik, you can pull them in and out easily (especially if you use the handle which is on the bottom, opposite the attachment points, to pull the HLT out). And, because you're attaching to the back side of the HLT, you can easily open the HLT while it's still connected, take out the items you want, zip it up and shove it back into the pocket.

Also, the fact that double carabiner clips can open and close so easily, makes this process super fast, and you can use the standard trick of hanging either HLT via the double carabiners to make it into an airline seat pocket bag, just as was done for the Side Effect (in one of my posts from 01-17-2014:

But, the way the attachment works to the back side of each HLT means that it will feel less balanced when you carry it with a shoulder strap than a 3D Organizer Cube or a Side Effect where the connecting points are at O-rings at each side clipped to a shoulder strap

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-img_4627-jpg

It's not a bad shoulder carry -- but the Side Effect or 3D Organizer Cube feels distinctly more comfortable if you're going to carry either accessory this way. And I feel the narrower spacing of the HLT1 attachment points make this less comfortable for me to wear than the HLT2. There are pictures on the product pages so you can see what this looks like worn, and I feel the advantages (such as the one I mentioned above about easy access in/out of pocket, getting to the contents while still attached, and the ease of clipping on with double carabiner clips + transferring this for seat pocket use) outweigh the disadvantages.

The other thing is that the back design means a greater flexibility in carrying either HLT on a belt (as @bartleby described). I've also used the back design of the two pouches to hack a way that people can use the HLT2 as an UMP (Upper Modular Pocket) for the Smart Alec
    (excerpting some photos):

The main comment I have about the Double Carabiner connection to the webbing loops at the top of the Synik 22 and Synik 30, is that it is super convenient to hook and unhook, but it doesn't optimize use of the space at the top of the bag.

So, for the HLT1, if I wanted to carry the accessory high up in a Synik 22 or Synapse 19, I'd use 1" Single Gatekeeper clips ordered from parts if I wanted to make it easier to access the pocket in the bottom half:

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-img_4634-jpg
    (Back of the HLT1 in Seapine with 1" single gatekeeper clips and medium and large size double carabiner clips)

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-img_4631-jpg
    The HLT1 with large double carabiner clips hooked to the back

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-img_4633-jpg
    The HLT1 in Seapine attached to the webbing rail loops at the top of the Synik 22 (Nebulous Grey 525d/Dawn)

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-img_4636-jpg
    Same HLT1 attached with 1" Gatekeeper Clips ordered from Parts

This is what the backs of the two HLTS look like (at the top, HLT1 in Seapine 630d, below HLT2 in Nebulous Grey 630d)
    December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-img_4603-jpg

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 12-07-2019 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Fixed link to early answer about using HLTs as UMPs for Smart Alec

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Thank you so much, Moriond! I marsupialise TB bags all the time, so this is incredibly helpful to know. I'm generally a 'more is better' gal when it comes to the capaciousness of bags (and I'm a knitter too, so the more space for tools, the better), and I like how the halcyon gives just a bit more capacity than the ballistic, or at least that's what I tell myself. I love that the HLT comes with its own double carabiners for ease of attachment. I'm very excited for tomorrow!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great review @Bartleby! I also missed the middle belt loop webbing.
    Last edited by Cristina; 12-01-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome reviews and videos. You are very good at communicating the essentials with these handy videos, and you give a really good practical look at how to use the bag. I think this could be a very good day bag for me for travel. I usually take the Pilot, but I don't always need all that space, and I think the rabbit hole affords a little more security for keeping the strap from getting completely undone, as compared to the clips on the Absolute strap that I usually use for the Pilot.

Agree that the black/island blue combo looks really sharp! Also good to know about the Freudian Slip.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm riding along with @bartleby's thread to add some pictures of the HLT, and comment on some features I particularly like:

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-img_4653-jpg
    With the HLT2 I can fit notebooks up to the Hobonichi Weeks inside, and on the right I not only have access to the elastic retaining straps for objects of different widths, but I can also use either the zipped pouches at the top and bottom that are built into the HLT2 to store items directly, or I can insert Ghost Whale Organizer Pouches of different sizes (shown in the earlier posts by @bartleby) into the pockets, or I can attach additional organizer pouches to O-rings outside these zippered pouches, such as the micro Coyote Pouch. I have a lot of different sized Quark flashlights, and the smaller ones (Mini or Preon) can go directly into the pockets, or I can carry larger and brighter tactiical models that I usually leave at home.

The HLT2 pouches will also fit the Red Leaf Pouchkin of the First or Second Aid Pouches (in Blue or Red) for an additional clear pocket that attaches to the center webbing that is handy for small items like stamps, flags, or small pills (aspirin, etc.)

Here's an example:
    December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-img_4654-jpg

In the picture, I've switched to the largest notebook that comfortably fits inside --- a B6 Leuchtturm1917 planner

Here are some things I can store on the flip side of the pouchkin (a Satechi presentation remote and pointer, and a Tom Bihn ruler)
    December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-img_4655-jpg

There's a red Matador pocket blanket

I'm actually likely to carry a Kindle Paperwhite and store it behind the mesh pocket on the left. Here is one in an OMOTON case that is shown overlying that pocket
    December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-img_4657-jpg

I could move the Weeks notebook to the front pocket, but it's a slightly tight fit (for that model)
    December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-img_4658-jpg

December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-img_4659-jpg

I thought I would also mention that the HLT1 fits into the Side Pockets of the Co-Pilot

I've been experimenting with hacking so that the HLT1 can be used at the top of Luminary 12 (and original Luminary) to make better use of the space. This is preliminary:
    December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-img_4598-jpg
    Standard keystrap attached to O-rings
    December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-img_4599-jpg
    December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2)-img_4600-jpg

Main problem is that the position of the HLT1 will drop considerably when the bag (original Luminary in Black) is in a vertical position. But this is encouraging.

Sorry for the late postings, but photos were delayed by having to look after people who were coming down with colds over the last few days.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 12-07-2019 at 06:16 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your strap shortening video is very helpful, because I am in need of a tutorial on how to accomplish this. The bag lengthening is very clear from the way the clip works, but I'm not able to scoot the strap down into the rabbit hole. I will try again tomorrow.

I think this could make a great day bag for travel. It's very compact and doesn't allow for as much flexible space as, say, the Maker's Bag, which has a huge space for the odds and ends one picks up during the day, but the charm of the Icon is that forces some decisions about what to carry.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience is that it is easier when the bag is not completely empty. It might also help to stuff the first few inches rather deep into the whole by using a finger or your thumb.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast