Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PIKA vs Travel Cubelet

As soon as I saw the Pika and read the description, I thought it was for people who thought the Travel Cubelet was too big.

As I played around with it over a couple of days, I couldnít shake the comparison.

(Apologies for terribly lit nighttime photos)

Use case 1: Airport bag
    In this scenario I need the bag to hold passports and foreign money. Thatís basically it. Ok by ďitĒ I mean I carry 6 passports for the family:

It fits, though the Pika is a bit wider than normal. Here it is next to an empty TC:

The Passports and money in the TC:

And the full TC next to an empty Pika:

Verdict: For six passports I should probably use a Travel Cubelet, not least because of the top zipper. The magnetic closure is sturdy and will not let things out accidentally, but you can always use an s-biner on the TC to lock the zipper for a bit of added security. On the other hand, traditional boarding passes wonít fit in a TC though home-printed paper tickets can always be folded to fit.

FWIW: If you also carry six passports they fit nicely into a 3DOC:

Use case 2: as advertised, phone, lip balm, keys. I am leaving my actual wallet at home in this scenario because I use Apple Pay or I can stash two cards and a 20 in the back of my phone case (my phone case is a little thicker than normal because of this).

Here is what I have. Giant foreign keys, tiny phone, lip balms in a Super Mini GW:

It fits in the Pika but I donít feel itís a great use of space and it makes the bag bulge. The phone was in the main pocket, the keys in front, and the GW in the rear mesh pocket. My big keys barely fit.

Full Pika next to empty TC:

Same stuff in the TC, empty Pika:

Verdict: my stuff makes the Pika bulge in this scenario too and would fit better in a TC.

Conclusions
    The Pika is a gorgeous bag. It is so beautiful that I really want it to fit my stuff. It doesnít fit my stuff in an optimal way, however, and I think thatís mostly because I have a small phone and large keys. I donít need the extra height of the Pika but I do need the extra depth/3D space of the TC, or even the Cubelet!

If you have one of those big phones and small American keys, I think your stuff would probably fit a lot better than my stuff.
    Last edited by Cristina; 12-01-2019 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Added that my phone case is a little thicker than normal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cristina,

Thank you so much for posting a comparison of the TC and PIKA. I am a long time lurker and first time poster to the TB forums and love all the reviews/comments made by forum members that have helped guide my purchases. Your post is particularly helpful as though I love my TC, I would like some height on the TC and so was quite interested in the PIKA. But I also need the depth that the TC offers, as I need to carry a huge over the eyeglass sunglasses to prevent migraines. These glasses just fit vertically in the TC. But based on your review, it looks like the PIKA will instead bulge if I were to put my sunglasses in it.

Again, thank you so much for this timely review. I guess I will spend the PIKA allotted money on something else TB :)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though I only have a house key and a tiny mail box key, my car key is a gigantic key fob. It's super thick and lumpy. If I was just carrying real keys, I think the PIKA would work, but it's my car key fob that I don't think will work will in the PIKA. I seriously don't understand why the new key fobs have to be so big. My last key car key fob was very small.

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums, @Sandnitaus!

I'm very glad that you came to reply when someone posted something that you found valuable, and I hope you continue to share in the community here!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandnitaus View Post
    I am a long time lurker and first time poster to the TB forums and love all the reviews/comments made by forum members that have helped guide my purchases.
    Welcome @Sandnitaus, glad you are enjoying the Forums!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandnitaus View Post
    Hi Cristina,

Thank you so much for posting a comparison of the TC and PIKA. I am a long time lurker and first time poster to the TB forums and love all the reviews/comments made by forum members that have helped guide my purchases. Your post is particularly helpful as though I love my TC, I would like some height on the TC and so was quite interested in the PIKA. But I also need the depth that the TC offers, as I need to carry a huge over the eyeglass sunglasses to prevent migraines. These glasses just fit vertically in the TC. But based on your review, it looks like the PIKA will instead bulge if I were to put my sunglasses in it.

Again, thank you so much for this timely review. I guess I will spend the PIKA allotted money on something else TB :)
    Hi @Sandnitaus and welcome! I am happy to help.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, crap. After trying to talk myself out of it, now I feel like I might need a PIKA for just walking around the office.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for posting this Christina. I came looking, hoping someone had posted exactly this comparison. I frequently carry just phone, ID/wallet, keys, little stuff in my TC out and about and was wondering how the experience differed with the PIKA. I still haven't decided if I want one. Plus the colors I like are all sold out right now anyway. But no hurry since I do have my beloved TC.

P.S. My TC is the same color as yours. Love the aubergine!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for this thread Cristina. My first thought when I saw the P.I.K.A. was I want one but I was a little concerned about the size. At minimum I carry an iphone 7Plus, very small wallet similar to Tom Bihn size, soft case with reading glasses and a couple super mini ghost whale pouches. One SMGWOP is for cash and cards that don't fit in my wallet and the other is for a small round pill container, lip gloss and change. This might all fit in the P.I.K.A. but I don't think there would be much room left for anything else. For my EDC I've been using a black halcyon side effect and it easily carries all the above and more. I never looked at the TC at all until I saw this thread and now a Seapine Green TC will be winging its way to me tomorrow.

I was lucky enough to receive samples of the new recycled fabric in both the blue and green and although I don't wear much green I love the new color and it works as a neutral for me. I do really love the look and feel of the fabric. The new blue kind of clashed with some of my blues. I did order a MGWOP in Logic Blue and a SMGWOP in the Seapine Green because you can never have too many GWOPs. Thanks again!
    Last edited by kjquilts; 12-02-2019 at 10:51 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjquilts View Post
    This might all fit in the P.I.K.A. but I don't think there would be much room left for anything else. For my EDC I've been using a black halcyon side effect and it easily carries all the above and more. I never looked at the TC at all until I saw this thread and now a Seapine Green TC will be winging its way to me tomorrow.
    I think you made the right choice on the TC vs PIKA based on what you carry... and Seapine is a great colour!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Germany
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comparison! I've wondered whether I should have ordered a PIKA, but I'm glad now I went with another TC instead. I love what I've seen of the Seapine Green and was undecided between those two bags.

Germany
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have another question about the PIKA vs the Everyday Cubelet. Does the PIKA feel less like wearing a handbag when it’s mostly empty? I want to keep my phone and a small bundle of keys on me. I have two EC and both things fit into it with room to spare of course, but I still feel like wearing a handbag. The problem is, that for the Corona App to have a chance of working I obviously need to keep my phone on me. During the time when I meet the most people, at work staffing the public service desks and being around library users, I usually don’t carry my phone. It’s very hot at work in summer and quite a few of my dresses don’t have pockets so I would need a bag. But I don’t want to feel like I’m carrying a bag all the time, like I do with the EC. Do you think the PIKA would work better and be less annoying?

Natick, MA
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I donít have a TC but the PIKA feels like a small crossbody handbag to me. It fits my keys, mask, phone, wallet easily and is discreet (excepting that it is Iberian in color;)). It is easy to wear (with phone) while walking around. I often forget I have it on until my husband says, ďWhy are you still wearing your purse?Ē hours after I have returned from the grocery store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kansas City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I consider my PIKA ideal for minimalist outings: it functions for me like the abbreviated edit you'd take (once upon a time) going out to a club - a stripped down cross-body bag for a phone, id, cash, cc, lip balm/stick, a couple of keys, mask...I find it perfect for going on a walk.

If I need to potentially have extra gear for changing conditions, I'll use a Side Effect instead.

Malaysia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    I have another question about the PIKA vs the Everyday Cubelet. Does the PIKA feel less like wearing a handbag when itís mostly empty? I want to keep my phone and a small bundle of keys on me. I have two EC and both things fit into it with room to spare of course, but I still feel like wearing a handbag. The problem is, that for the Corona App to have a chance of working I obviously need to keep my phone on me. During the time when I meet the most people, at work staffing the public service desks and being around library users, I usually donít carry my phone. Itís very hot at work in summer and quite a few of my dresses donít have pockets so I would need a bag. But I donít want to feel like Iím carrying a bag all the time, like I do with the EC. Do you think the PIKA would work better and be less annoying?
    This is exactly my concern as well. I want a bag that doesn't feel like I'm carrying a handbag - more of a large pocket to hold my big handphone, earphones, keys and a bit of cash/cards. I use a SK as my EDC and it fits everything I need when I go out. But I have been searching for the perfect size bag for outdoor pursuits - something lightweight that wouldn't get in the way. I'd always have my handphone with me (Samsung Note 8), earphones, house/car keys, mask, a credit card and some cash, wipes & a small bottle of hand sanitizer. I've been going back and forth between the PIKA & EC. I'm still undecided. I worry that the PIKA would be too small, and the EC too big. If I want to carry more items, I'd just use my Sidekick. That's probably why I'm leaning towards the PIKA, as the EC feels closer in size to my SK. But would the PIKA bulge out since my car keys are pretty bulky? Arghh, it's always so difficult to figure out which is the Goldilocks bag for the purpose I need. Any more input or personal sharings and thoughts on this would be most appreciated. I need to decide by next week when the bags are restocked. Thanks in advance! :-)
    Last edited by Dom; 07-18-2020 at 04:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast