Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post

The Monster Truck as a house purse. The Small Zip Top Shop Bag fits nicely in the center. My Icon is in the right hand pocket and my Pickup Truck is in the left. I used this to carry the things I needed from upstairs to downstairs without being laden with lots of individual bags.
    @Crisitina,

I love this type of reply. I didn't get the full set of Trucks, but I was very tempted to reply to @Walker's question about full size travel trays in the Pickup Truck with a couple of pictures that I took at the time I read the post (when it was already dark, so these were under artificial lighting). I think your posts were better for information purposes, but since these turned out to be really cute, I'll upload mine, despite the lighting conditions, along with a daylight shot of the from the top:
    The Truck family-img_4667-jpg
    The Truck family-img_4668-jpg

This is a Northwest Sky Travel Tray inside of the center section of a Mars Red Pickup Truck. In actuality, the Travel Tray is holding a series of straps and accessory parts that I use for bag hacking (different color keystraps, lash straps and ice axe straps, different color zipper pull cord, web dominators, Gatekeepers, triangle clips, etc.), so I put two stuffed toys on top. One of these is the now retired Skookum Dog Bat. The bat normally has his own small travel tray (in Fjord, to bring out his lovely gray tones)

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    He fits very nicely into the new Small Travel Tray in Fjord, if you'd like to keep him handy:

The Bat on his Small Travel Tray

The lavendar plush dragon is not a Figment of your imagination, but an item that made an appearance in the How Many WHAT Can You Fit in a TB Bag? A Forum Game WEEK ONE thread:
    The Truck family-img_3078-jpg

I think the Pickup Truck would be really great as a dedicate accessory for Children's related carries and toys. And also to take to picnics.
    Last edited by moriond; 12-07-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Truck family

@Moriond, your photos are very helpful, too.

The visual appeal of the PUT bumps up with each amazing photo, so keep them coming!

I very much appreciate the helpfulness and positive vibes of forum members who respond/contribute to these inquiries.

Cheers!

P.S. I wish the bat makes a return, but that topic ought to be another thread.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered a Truck for grocery shopping, and a Coyote pouch Nano to add to it. I like Aldi for a number of things; the Coyote will be my dedicated "quarter for the cart" holder. "Two stones with one bird."

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, @Sillybear, and welcome to the forums!

Aldi is also a favorite of mine! I keep a quarter in my wallet just in case I need a cart, but most of the time I'm only getting enough to fill one or two Shop Bags (or a Truck) so I carry them through the store, unload onto the belt, and then load back into the bags on the fly. (Most of the time, they let me borrow the cart just long enough to finish packing if I'm a bit slower than they are.)

I hope you love your new Truck (and the quarter sounds like a great hack as well). :)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome!

I've used Bihn bags in the past, but never joined the forum before.

I'm in Ohio, which is not particularly cutting edge environmentally, but even our largest grocery is going single use bag free by....2025. A lot of reusable bags just are not very well designed. I think the Truck may be just the ticket. I looked at the Monster, but it looked a wee bit too big. (I would fill it, and it doesn't have wheels.)

I am also currently knitting a linen market bag, which may end up living in the Truck. (I also nabbed a knitter's pouch.)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums, @Sillybear,

If you're a knitter, are you also a member of Ravelry? And are you aware that there is also a Tom Bihn Knitting Bags forum over at Ravelry?

If you feel like it, please take the time to tell us more about yourself in this thread under the section that only registered forum members can view.

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverdaughter View Post
    I can't believe the pickup trucks didn't fly out of there! So handy and cute. Can't wait to see mine in deep blue..

I would like a pickup truck in deep blue...is it being offered in that color? What am I missing?
    Monster Truck (Nebulous Gray) Cadet (Steel /NW Sky) Yeoman Duffel (Burnt Orange)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
    I would like a pickup truck in deep blue...is it being offered in that color? What am I missing?
    It was offered in Deep Blue at debut and appears to be sold out right now.
    I'm pretty sure that TB just hasn't had time to update the 'in production' section yet. If you'd like to be sure, you can always contact the fine folks in Customer Service and they'll let you know.

ETA: I checked in with Kat, they are awaiting more Deep Blue fabric. She said about 8-10 weeks for restock, depending.
    Last edited by G42; 12-25-2019 at 04:25 AM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t really use my original truck because the compartments are too big or too small for what I’d like to carry, so I thought I’d try one each of the pickup and monster trucks. The monster truck is a fantastic warehouse club bag! It has proven to be a fantastic Christmas present sorting/hauling bag this week as well. When they’re back in stock I’ll get another one to use as a dedicated beach bag. It’ll be great for bringing all the sheets and towels and toilet paper and kitchen stuff that’s needed.

The pickup truck was the biggest surprise for me. I got it thinking it’d be good for organizing the car toys, and it is, but I immediately found I needed a couple more. I bought one for my sister for Christmas to use for her newborn baby supplies. They’re staying in town for awhile and I think it’ll be perfect for a transportable diaper station. My five year old son also loves it. He dumped out all his car toys before I got his door open the other day so he could carry his own groceries. He often carries a shop bag to “help” but the shoulder straps make it hard for him (he’s like three and a half feet tall.) The pickup truck, however, is perfect. He carries one small item in each compartment and can use the straps over his shoulder or hand carry reasonably easily. I also like it for work, as many others have said. Small purse, lunch, sweater, and water bottle all sit very well in it. I’m also using one right now to sort batteries. (It’s Christmas toy season! We had to get Sam’s size packs of all the batteries!)

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    The Truck family-img_4667-jpg
    These are the best pictures!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, I'm on Rav.

My Truck and my large travel tray (in Halcyon) arrived yesterdayTravel tray holds THREE balls of yarn.

Took Truck to Costco. I may need to get a Monster Truck. Even so, the Truck-let held a whole bunch of usually-all-over-the-car stuff, and at least one of the Big Boxes of granola bars.

Washington, DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond Yay Figment!!

Used my new MT last night for a quick grocery run across the street. Wanted to try a new pasta recipe but I didn't have any eggs. Picked up a bottle of wine, an 8-pack of flavored water, milk, orange juice, and a few other things. I was a little concerned about the eggs since I had to place the carton upright to fit in the end pocket, but I just carried it with that pocket in front and put a bag of shredded Parmesan between it and the milk and everything arrived unbroken! I had planned to keep the MT in my car but I may keep it in the house for when I do these kinds of quick trips. I have other reusable bags I keep in my purse that are fine for taking stuff from the store to the car but not so much for walking around with (especially if heavy).

Pasta was kind of a bust though, edible (decent but not really good), I should have used my machine instead of rolling it by hand, ended up pretty thick.
    Synapse 25, Aeronaut 30, Monster Truck, Travel Tray

“...a book is a fragile creature, it suffers the wear of time, it fears rodents, the elements, clumsy hands. If for a hundred and a hundred years everyone had been able freely to handle our codices, the majority of them would no longer exist. So the librarian protects them not only against mankind but also against nature, and devotes his life to this war with the forces of oblivion, the enemy of truth.”
    ― Umberto Eco

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Truck family

Thank you to everyone for your helpfulness, answering my questions and posting photos to help me decide.

I placed an order for a Pick-Up Aubergine and a Truck Burnt Orange. They were delivered today with a little surprise.

Here are the items that live in my EDC bag to work (lately it has been my Synapse 19 Nordic/Steel):

I loaded them in the PUT:

Main left compartment - 16-oz hydroflask water bottle, prescription sunglasses in hard case.

Middle main compartment compartment - Sidekick (loosely loaded), medium OP with papers inside clipped to O-ring, a thin stack of paper that are awkward to force into the medium OP, pencil OP carrying bits and bobs clipped to O-ring.

Right main compartment - 3DOC with sweater inside, prescription eyeglasses in a hard case, a padded OP carrying more bits and bobs.

Front flat pocket - pocket pouch with business cards, my magnetic company name tag (use when attending events where people wear name tags) and some band-aid, clipped to O-ring.

Other flat front pocket - an empty little surprise clipped to O-ring, just because.

There is a space left in the middle main compartment. I put a plastic food container in it - 8 inches long x 5.25 inches wide x 2.75 inches high - long side up. It fits comfortably in that free space. Personally, I would not put my lunch box in that space because I like my lunch box to sit flat with the lid on top.

My plan for this bag is to use it as EDC to work. I was hoping that it would be big enough to carry one of my my lunch containers in it:

I use the bento box for dry lunch and the glass container (red lid) for soup and other “wet” food. Whether my food is dry or wet, I like my lunch box to sit with the lid on top.

Either lunch box fits at the bottom of the middle compartment, but they take up up the full space at the bottom. The rest of my stuff that live in that compartment need to go on top of the lunch container. It is awkward and they stick too far out.

So I will continue to carry my lunch in a separate bag.

All the items above, with BOTH lunch containers, float about in the Truck, which makes sense since the Truck is sized to hold more than twice the volume (25 L) that the PUT carries (11 L).

I expected the PUT to be small, but still got surprised to see how small it is next to the Truck.

About the Truck - it is too big for me for EDC, but I can see how useful it can be as a grocery/farmers market bag. I love my 3 large shop bags, but there are times when I wished they had flat bottoms.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PUT’s first day to work.

I switched out my Sidekick with my Travel Cubelet:

Loaded in the PUT:

Lunch in bento box wrapped with furushiki cloth (sometimes I use a dish towel) is at the bottom of the middle section.

There is room for that blue eyeglass case case + my phone in the main compartment - but the Travel Cubelet is thick from front to back. I need that eyeglass case to keep either my eyeglasses or sunglasses (whichever I am not wearing) when running company errands (and do not need to bring the PUT with me).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With only five weeks until New York state's ban on plastic shopping bags takes effect, it was time to get serious. My first load in my new Truck.

I love it already. With the internal compartments, the handles, and the ability to stand upright when empty, it's such a HUGE improvement over the $3 bags that stores are selling.

The Truck family-truck1-jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast