Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synik 22 - Work + Construction and Camera Bag

I've received my S22 and its a mighty fine bag.

I'll mainly use it as my work backpack. Depending on what stage of the project I'm in I'll be in the office alot during the design phase. When the project reaches construction and commissioning phase I'll be out in the field a lot. This bag will eventually go through alot.

The bag is obviously well made and bartacked at the high stress points like the top grab handle and shoulder straps. The 525 ballistic nylon with heavy urethane coating allows it to be highly water resistant. In addition to the large size 8 and 10 Aquaguard YKK zippers, from the exterior the bag feels very premium but not over the top, funky, mainstream, hip hop culture, that screams "look at me look at me!"

The interior fabric is Iberian(red) 200d Halcyon. Finally, a company that focus on quality fabrics inside as well as the outside!

Halcyon has a nice cross-hatch texture. I really like this material used inside the bag. Some sections appear matt and others areas appear a little shiney due to more water repellent coating.

The front zipper organisation is deceivingly big but thats because its been designed very well. I can't however fit my usual 40oz double insulated flask in the dedicated water bottle pocket so i put it in the mainly compartment. Funnily enough, this water bottle won't fit in the the Synick 30 water bottle pocket either because the two bags two top 4 zipper packets areas have the same height!

Anyway enough chit chat. Attached are some photos of the bag itself and stuff I put inside the bag. I have a Dell 12.5inch laptop and it fits pretty well in the laptop compartment. Apologies if the photos appear whacky.

The other use I'll have for this bag is to carry my complete camera and lens and some accessories when I travel. Which isn't much to be honest. I have an Olympus with the trinity pro lens (12-40 F2.8, 7-14mm f2.8, 40-150mm f2.8). I've never been able to carry all my lens on me comfortably while I'm shooting so this will be a first.

Synik 22 - Work + Construction and Camera Bag-1-1-jpgSynik 22 - Work + Construction and Camera Bag-2-1-1-jpgSynik 22 - Work + Construction and Camera Bag-3-1-jpgSynik 22 - Work + Construction and Camera Bag-4-1-jpgSynik 22 - Work + Construction and Camera Bag-5-1-jpgSynik 22 - Work + Construction and Camera Bag-6-1-jpgSynik 22 - Work + Construction and Camera Bag-7-1-jpgSynik 22 - Work + Construction and Camera Bag-8-1-jpgSynik 22 - Work + Construction and Camera Bag-9-1-jpgSynik 22 - Work + Construction and Camera Bag-10-1-jpgSynik 22 - Work + Construction and Camera Bag-11-1-jpgSynik 22 - Work + Construction and Camera Bag-12-1-jpgSynik 22 - Work + Construction and Camera Bag-13-1-jpgSynik 22 - Work + Construction and Camera Bag-14-1-jpg
    Last edited by King_Qong; 12-16-2019 at 04:28 AM.

Forum Member
    Munich, Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for including detailed photos with common every day objects so we can get a sense of the size!

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos and I think you picked an awesome colorway. It's really good looking with that splash of Iberian peeking out. I'm looking forward to seeing how the bag handles your daily use and changing needs!

I just got back from a 3-week trip with the Synik 22- it performed incredibly and I'm so thrilled with the improvements it makes over the Synapse 19.

Totally off topic, but I saw that you have the Yeti Hotshot- I was torn between that and the new Klean Kanteen TKWide and wondering how the Hotshot has treated you so far? Some people online have complained about leaks but others seem very happy with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics and write up! Love your color scheme, my Smart Alec has the same colors! It's interesting that the bottle compartment has almost the same size in both backpacks.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellsass View Post
    Thanks for including detailed photos with common every day objects so we can get a sense of the size!
    You are totally welcome! Let me know what you like to see next to it or in a certain pocket and will see if i have available.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi carrot,

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you asked about the YETI! I was kinda wondering if anyone would make a comment haha!

I have checked out the Klean Kanteen TKWide when it came out (not in person) and it looks like a really good bottle as well. I like that you can buy the lid (as an extra option) with the stainless steel bottom so that the fluid only ever touches stainless steel as most bottles have a hard plastic screw lid/top. BUT, to get this combo it does it pretty pricey overall.

The YETI rambler has served me well. I don't use it all too often though, however when I do use it is always pleasant. Especially this navy colour. It hasn't leaked on me.... Yet? Everything is solid and sturdy on this bottle. Even the plastic lid. Very high quality. Quite weighty too - which to me is not a bad thing. Means they didn't skimp on steel!

I can't speak for the Klean Kanteen as I haven't held it in the hands yet. However one thing to consider is cleaning. The YETI lid comes apart as two pieces for cleaning. The Klean Kanteen on the other hand, the lid that comes with it, comes apart in 5 pieces! What the?! I have read though if you get the optional lid with the stainless steel bottom it is one piece construction.

Hope that has somewhat helped you :)
    Last edited by King_Qong; 12-16-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, one would think the Synik 30 would be larger in every aspect but its not necessarily so in regards to the water bottle compartment.
    Anyway i'm not sure if I buy into the bottle pouch being in the middle of the bag for centre of gravity and balance. It only really becomes an issue if you carry lots of water, say 2L? Most water bottles that will fit in the centre pocket will be present a neglible weight problem, when located on the side pockets of the typical bag.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Qong View Post
    Anyway i'm not sure if I buy into the bottle pouch being in the middle of the bag for centre of gravity and balance. It only really becomes an issue if you carry lots of water, say 2L? Most water bottles that will fit in the centre pocket will be present a neglible weight problem, when located on the side pockets of the typical bag.
    FWIW, I thought it was an odd feature when I first saw/heard about it too. After having used it, I can tell the difference though, most especially if I'm carry the pack on one shoulder for some reason. I also find the upper center pocket faster and easier to access.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    FWIW, I thought it was an odd feature when I first saw/heard about it too. After having used it, I can tell the difference though, most especially if I'm carry the pack on one shoulder for some reason. I also find the upper center pocket faster and easier to access.
    Hi G42, you make a good point. I've always worn my backpack with two straps.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk