Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Munich, Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Road Buddy 36 doesn't really fit gym shoes in the end pockets

Myself and many others have researched whether the RB36 makes a good gym bag. I never got a solid answer, though most seemed to suggest you can fit a pair of shoes the end compartments.

It cannot fit a pair of gym shoes into a single pocket, at least not with standard size 11 men's trainers/sneakers (Asics Gel 7 or something like that; roughly size 44 in EU). However I can easily fit one shoe into each of the end compartments without straining or compromising the main (middle) compartment.

With some lower-style shoes, such as these "PUMA Suede Classic Sneaker, 12 M US Men's" (roughly size 45 in EU), I really had to wedge them in there with two hands before I could zipper them shut. It's fine for a trip to a single location (e.g. home to hotel, then back home) but if you were to travel around or go to a gym semi-daily you'd get annoyed with it quite quickly. And maybe even harm a zipper over time.

Personally I am fine with splitting the shoes into separate compartments. I can still fit my shower shoes (standard issue Adidas slide-on sandals) into the mesh pocket at the end where they can dry off during the work day. But if you want the second compartment for other items, maybe wait until TB releases a new gym bag later in 2020. (Yes, you read that right.)

Road Buddy 36 doesn't really fit gym shoes in the end pockets-img_0085-jpeg

Road Buddy 36 doesn't really fit gym shoes in the end pockets-img_0086-jpeg

Road Buddy 36 doesn't really fit gym shoes in the end pockets-img_0087-jpeg

Road Buddy 36 doesn't really fit gym shoes in the end pockets-img_0093-jpeg

Road Buddy 36 doesn't really fit gym shoes in the end pockets-img_0094-jpeg

Road Buddy 36 doesn't really fit gym shoes in the end pockets-img_0095-jpeg

Road Buddy 36 doesn't really fit gym shoes in the end pockets-img_0097-jpeg
    Last edited by Ellsass; 12-27-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's all relative. For me the RB36 is much too big for gym bag use, but then I have shoe size 38 and am able to pack four shoes in one side compartment for travel (a pair of sneakers and a pair of sandals).

Forum Member
    Munich, Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I edited my post to show my EU sizes. Also I should point out that the sneakers that don’t fit are 4E width (US).

I could imagine very flat shoes and very “floppy” shoes like Converse would fit well in the side. But you’re not going to have shoes like that at the gym most likely. Maybe if you’re a distance runner or some specialty like shot putting, but even then you may want to bring trainers along as well.

You’re right that the RB is too big for a gym bag. I’ve had too many durability issues with other bags so I decided to fix my problem once and for all with a TB solution. Can’t wait to see what they come up with later in 2020.

Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellsass View Post
    You’re right that the RB is too big for a gym bag. I’ve had too many durability issues with other bags so I decided to fix my problem once and for all with a TB solution. Can’t wait to see what they come up with later in 2020.
    I can totally understand that! Are you going to keep the RB36? I love mine. You made me curious to try it with my own clunky gym shoes (also Asics) and they both fit into the side with room to spare.

Road Buddy 36 doesn't really fit gym shoes in the end pockets-2883c833-ee58-4fc2-8a48-aefd14e88f20-jpeg

Forum Member
    Munich, Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Are you going to keep the RB36?
    For now, yes. As I said above, I'm tired of having cheaper bags break down on me. If I like TB's new design maybe I'll sell the RB and upgrade. I did consider getting another $30 bag just to hold me over until then but 1) maybe I won't like the new TB bag, and 2) I won't be able to resell the cheap gym bag which is a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    You made me curious to try it with my own clunky gym shoes (also Asics) and they both fit into the side with room to spare.
    Hmm. Do you have a "strategy" for getting them in there, e.g. do you squish the pair together in your hand before putting them inside? I just don't see how it's possible ��

Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellsass View Post
    Hmm. Do you have a "strategy" for getting them in there, e.g. do you squish the pair together in your hand before putting them inside? I just don't see how it's possible ��
    No strategy and no squishing needed. As I said above, I have shoe size 38. My shoes just aren’t that long and tall as yours so they fit into the side pocket both length and height wise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s really strange that you have such difficulties fitting your shoes. I always take my running shoes with me which depending on the model are 10 to 11.5 (US size). I put them in an A45 end pocket packing cube and they fit nicely, see pictures:

...spread joy in your neighbourhood Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces