Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: New S22

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New S22

So I got the Synik 22 for my birthday/christmas present from hubby. It is the orange one which is super gorgeous (yay!). After using it for a week I discovered that it is very comfortable indeed when carried on both shoulders, but when carried on one shoulder especially over a winter (down) jacket, it still easily slides off. I had this experience with my old synapse 19. With the 25, not so much- it stays put better on one shoulder (all with the same load). I wonder if it gas something to do with the straps being more smooth?

Also with my 13" HP spectre laptop, it slides into the side opening quite smoothly, but not so when using the zippered opening inside the bag- it is quite tough unless I stretch the pocket sideways. Taking it out is the same snugness, even with the side opening, I have to maneuver the laptop 3 ways to finally take it out. For daily in/out access, this is frustrating..... I think it has something to do with the fact that the opening is a tad restricted by the zippers themselves. I would suggest that instead using a zipper in the main compartment, the pouch uses a strap with velcro to secure the laptop, leaving the pouch open, not restricted by the zipper, yet still secure enough for holding the laptop in place.

Another way in which the bag can be more accommodating to different users is the placement of the size opening. In my case, accessing the side is done by swinging the bag on my right shoulder (my natural position since my left shoulder is problematic), but doing so is ineffective since the opening is on the other side. So I end up having to put the bag down anyways. It would be nice if Tom Bihn can offer the option of having the side opening on either side based on the user's preference when ordering the bag.

I also hope to see lockable zippers, especially nowadays where pickpockets are roaming free. Having such zippers can bring some extra peace of mind.

Other than that, everything else is top notch, especially in terms of construction. Always happy to hug one of these beauties New S22New S22 Now all I need to do is declutter some of my older TB bags as I promised my hubby New S22

Happy New Year to everyone here!
    Nina in Colorado

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I try to 1-shoulder my S22 it slides right off with some of my winter jackets too. One of my jackets has slicker material than my other one.

Agree built in zipper locks would be a nice addition. When I ride metro, I hook zips together using a small S-binder. You can clip the right vertical pocket to either of both middle pockets. And you can biner the main compartment zip as well. If you get the kind that has a “lock” you have to twist, it makes it harder to undo. The s-biners stay hook through one zip all the so always have them with me.

For airports, I slip on a luggage lock on the same zips.

Lucky you on getting your HO into the laptop compartment. My work PC is a 13” HP Elitebook and the actual length is over 13” so it’s a no-go in the laptop compartment.
    Last edited by KathyH; 01-06-2020 at 08:21 PM.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kathy, just piggybacking on Nina's post here with a question... do you just carry your laptop in the main compartment, then? Is it possible to put it in the compartment but have it sticking out the top (and still within the main compartment parameters)?

(Curious because I just ordered the SN22 for the pass-through (and the design details :)) but my laptop is slightly too big for the compartment, according to the dimensions given. I may upgrade soon anyway so I still want the SN22. :))

Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    When I try to 1-shoulder my S22 it slides right off with some of my winter jackets too. One of my jackets has slicker material than my other one.

Agree built in zipper locks would be a nice addition. When I ride metro, I hook zips together using a small S-binder. You can clip the right vertical pocket to either of both middle pockets. And you can biner the main compartment zip as well. If you get the kind that has a “lock” you have to twist, it makes it harder to undo. The s-biners stay hook through one zip all the so always have them with me.

For airports, I slip on a luggage lock on the same zips.

Lucky you on getting your HO into the laptop compartment. My work PC is a 13” HP Elitebook and the actual length is over 13” so it’s a no-go in the laptop compartment.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by npoerbo View Post
    I discovered that it is very comfortable indeed when carried on both shoulders, but when carried on one shoulder especially over a winter (down) jacket, it still easily slides off. I had this experience with my old synapse 19. With the 25, not so much- it stays put better on one shoulder (all with the same load).
    I have been using my S22 for two weeks now and have been noticing the same thing! It doesn't seem to matter what I'm wearing, and I have never had this happen with any other backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by npoerbo View Post
    For daily in/out access, this is frustrating.....
    Couldn't agree more with this either. The laptop compartment is over-engineered, and making it simpler would make it better.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, missed the question directed to me.

I bought a neoprene case (thinner than TB cache) and then carry my laptop in the main compartment. I use the laptop compartment to hold my ipad, an organizer holding my Bose QC30 earbuds, and my work iPhone. My earbuds are a “necklace” style and don’t collapse down. The Bose case is a little big but the organizer combined with a separate compartment to keep them flat works great. Sometimes I carry papers and they go in a folder and into the compartment too. I like my work phone in the compartment because it’s still easy to get too and has a little padding (and I use my organizing pockets for other things.

I choose a non-TB sleeve because I wanted something thinner than a cache. I have a cache for another backpack and it’s more than I need since I don’t toss my bag around.

The S22 is more spacious than it looks. Even with the laptop in the main compartment, there’s room to pack other stuff. The actual height of my HP Elitebook is something like 13-1/4” or so.
    Last edited by KathyH; 01-31-2020 at 09:12 AM.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much, this is very helpful!!

Curious what sleeve you ended up with (feel free to PM me if you prefer). I have a zippered, padded case right now, also thinner than a Cache, but still thicker than I prefer.

Sorry, missed the question directed to me.

I bought a neoprene case (thinner than TB cache) and then carry my laptop in the main compartment. I use the laptop compartment to hold my ipad, an organizer holding my nose QC30 earbuds, and my work iPhone. My earbuds are a “necklace” style and don’t collapse down. The Bose case is a little big but the organizer combined with a separate compartment to keep them flat works great. Sometimes I carry papers and they go in a folder and into the compartment too. I like my work phone in the compartment because it’s still easy to get too and has a little padding (and I use my organizing pockets for other things.

I choose a non-TB sleeve because I wanted something thinner than a cache. I have a cache for another backpack and it’s more than I need since I don’t toss my bag around.

The S22 is more spacious than it looks. Even with the laptop in the main compartment, there’s room to pack other stuff. The actual height of my HP Elitebook is something like 13-1/4” or so.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a neoprene case from Amazon.

It's a perfect fit, just big enough for my Elitebook to slip in without any extra space. It's thinner than the TB cache but still thick enough to provide protection, especially since I carry it inside a pack.

P.S. The case I bought has its zipper on the vertical so I have to completely pull out my laptop/case in order to get the laptop out. That's not a big deal for me though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thank you so much!!

It's a perfect fit, just big enough for my Elitebook to slip in without any extra space. It's thinner than the TB cache but still thick enough to provide protection, especially since I carry it inside a pack.

P.S. The case I bought has its zipper on the vertical so I have to completely pull out my laptop/case in order to get the laptop out. That's not a big deal for me though.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same case, works great
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...