Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Alaska
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Aeronaut 30 - Almost a Great Bag!

I have the A30 in halcyon and use it moderately packed it as my personal item atop my roller bag. I wasnít certain I would keep it initially, but I couldnít find any other product/brand that came as close as this one does to meeting my onboard needs. Do not fall for the video as I did that tells you wrapping a strap around the bag is the solution to its inexcusable lack of a pass-through option. After having my bag slip out a few times, losing the strap on the airplane floor, regularly tipping over my now unbalanced roller, and fumbling with the buckle when attempting to board/deplane expediently (you get my drift), I finally sewed on an external band. Looks like #$%^& but it fixed the glaring problem.

Also know that the side zipper slots are difficult to access in my softer material version. Not sure what the solution is yet (wish there was a zipper on the front flap to access the inner mesh pocket), but I find those pockets of limited use because of no rigidity, leaving me at a loss to find an easy access place for my tickets/passport that will leave them reasonably intact. Oh, and the handle grip? Designed for a large male hand: Rough material, hard to snap, stiff, everything I canít imagine wanting in a carry-on handle. Reads like an afterthought -- a way to use up scraps, rather than a well thought out amenity. I expect Iíll retrofit that part, too. Not happy I have to do any of this to a ~$300 bag.

My Pilot is my favorite carry-on bag because everything is so well thought out. But because I never access my overhead storage, its utility is limited to shorter flights. I would love to have a XL Pilot with a lot more depth :)

Not all travelers have hardy bodies that can carry weight on their shoulders and backs. I flew over 75,000 air miles last year. TB, please donít marginalize us by mostly designing for the physically capable. And why not have a direct way to post reviews that can be readily accessed by potential buyers?

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @bon mot , welcome to the Forums! Your post was in moderation (i.e. invisible) because you were a new member, but now that you've had one post approved your future posts are unlikely to go into moderation.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry you are so unhappy Bon Mot- it sounds like you selected the wrong bag for your needs. If you were looking for an extra large Pilot, perhaps the Western Flyer would have been a better fit? The good thing about Tom Bihn bags is that they really retain their value, so if you sell it on ebay or similar (if you are outside the return window), you are likely to get back much of your purchase price.

I consider my A30 a stand alone bag, versus my personal item that I would use with a wheelie bag. A30 is too big to qualify as a personal item I believe. I would only expect a personal item to have a pass through.

Not sure what you mean by having reviews that you can look at before purchasing, there's a whole forum for that.
    Last edited by sturbridge; 04-01-2020 at 02:13 PM.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Truck in Nebulous Gray, Co-Pilot in Black Halcyon/Iberian,Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    perhaps the Western Flyer would have been a better fit?
    I consider my A30 a stand alone bag, versus my personal item that I would use with a wheelie bag. A30 is too big to qualify as a personal item I believe. I would only expect a personal item to have a pass through.
    Unfortunately, the Western Flyer hasn't come in a version with luggage handle passthrough in a few years--otherwise I may own one at this point! I do agree that the A30 is too big to be a legitimate personal item. Sure, you might get away with it. Sure, it might fit under some seats. But it's much bigger than any airline's stated limits (at least that I'm aware of). I think even the Western Flyer might be technically pushing it but should be ok most of the time, especially in the US. I think the Synapse 19/Synik 22 size is really what's intended to be truly a personal item. I've used my Synapse 25 as one, but I made sure to not fill it to capacity. I will use my new Synik 30 as a personal item, but again, I will make sure it isn't filled to capacity. The Syniks do have a passthrough, and that was one of the big reasons I got one (and I think I will prefer the built-in laptop compartment as well).

One thing I've definitely learned about luggage: everybody has their own preferences, and some of us even have differing preferences for different types of trips and even different seasons (winter clothes take up a lot more space than summer ones!).

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bon mot View Post
    I have the A30 in halcyon and use it moderately packed it as my personal item atop my roller bag. I wasnít certain I would keep it initially, but I couldnít find any other product/brand that came as close as this one does to meeting my onboard needs. Do not fall for the video as I did that tells you wrapping a strap around the bag is the solution to its inexcusable lack of a pass-through option. After having my bag slip out a few times, losing the strap on the airplane floor, regularly tipping over my now unbalanced roller, and fumbling with the buckle when attempting to board/deplane expediently (you get my drift), I finally sewed on an external band. Looks like #$%^& but it fixed the glaring problem.

Also know that the side zipper slots are difficult to access in my softer material version. Not sure what the solution is yet (wish there was a zipper on the front flap to access the inner mesh pocket), but I find those pockets of limited use because of no rigidity, leaving me at a loss to find an easy access place for my tickets/passport that will leave them reasonably intact. Oh, and the handle grip? Designed for a large male hand: Rough material, hard to snap, stiff, everything I canít imagine wanting in a carry-on handle. Reads like an afterthought -- a way to use up scraps, rather than a well thought out amenity. I expect Iíll retrofit that part, too. Not happy I have to do any of this to a ~$300 bag.

My Pilot is my favorite carry-on bag because everything is so well thought out. But because I never access my overhead storage, its utility is limited to shorter flights. I would love to have a XL Pilot with a lot more depth :)

Not all travelers have hardy bodies that can carry weight on their shoulders and backs. I flew over 75,000 air miles last year. TB, please donít marginalize us by mostly designing for the physically capable. And why not have a direct way to post reviews that can be readily accessed by potential buyers?
    If you disliked so much about the bag, I'm wondering why you didn't just return it ? (assuming you're in the US?)

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BonMot, thanks for you post. Critiques are necessary and your observations might help potential A30 purchasers make a better decision. However, the you are giving us a list of features--perceived as flaws--that was easily established before your purchase was made; they were all discoverable.

Tom Bihn's products require no defense but I'm at home like everyone else and have plenty of time on my hands. I bought the A30 because it was EXACTLY the go-light bag I wanted and needed. I deeply and thoroughly researched it: I read dozens of reviews from many diverse travel sites and forums; I watched every user clip on YouTube and all of TB's marketing clips; and I knew precisely what I was getting. The A30 has made several ultralight carry-on-only flights and spur-of-the-moment road trips. It has turned out to be so utilitarian that I can leave it packed, ready to go in a flash.
    I liked the A30 so much, I bought a gently used A45 to replace my (again thoroughly researched at therefore totally satisfactory) Patagonia MLC45. The BIG ISSUE for so many of us amid the corona madness is there's just nowhere to go with our bags!