Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tri-Star Review from an Airline Pilot

Well, since I知 cooped up in hotel after hotel during this Covid19 pandemic, I thought I壇 take the time to give my thoughts about the Tri-star I purchased several months ago now.

A little background on me, I知 an international pilot and fly the B777 aircraft. I am always looking for packing solutions that maximize space, save time through security and fit in the spaces I use most. I started with the Western Flyer but found it to be too small for my purposes. Customer Service was awesome! They refunded my money for the WF and sent me the Tri-Star (TS). The size was perfect. My primary concern was:

1. Does it fit next to the B777 pilot seat so as I can lower the side table unimpeded...check.

2. Does it fit fully packed under an CRJ airline seat/in the overhead bin...check.

Lastly, it had to hold all the things I need for my job plus any over flow that I do not pack in my rollerboard.

The front pockets carry my money bags, calendar, car keys, work ID and coffee cup.

In the front compartment, I keep the divider zipped and it perfectly separates my work iPad from my work trip folders/paperwork.

The middle compartment holds all of my travel swag. Some items I need but most just make life on the road a bit more tolerable. (Canon camera, inflatable air mattress and seat cushion, aeropex case, travel hot pot, AeroPress coffee, surgical masks and rain coat.

The last compartment holds the Freudian Slip the latest book I知 reading and my electronics cable bag. I知 making it work but for my purposes the Freudian Slip was not the most well thought out accessory. For example, the angled zipper makes it awkward to get at my passport. And for that matter, why not just make a dedicated passport pocket that is RFID blocked and has an easy access Velcro flap. Give me a call Tom. I値l help you set up a perfect insert. (For me anyway... lol).

Lastly, and my biggest pet peeve of an otherwise perfect bag, there is no flap or means for me to slide the bag down my roller board telescoping handle to make it easier to tote around the airport. I知 trying to make it work with the roller-board hook provided by Travelpro but it is a bit of a pain to hook on and off and destabilizes the luggage. So Tom, I d be glad to send my bag in for an upgrade in this regard. I know on previous models of the TS it was an option, perhaps it should just be standard.

Cheers

fly-dad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Welcome to the Forums @fly-dad

Nice review for your use case as a pilot
    I would hazard a guess that for most folks carrying a TS onto a plane, it's their main bag so a pass through isn't as important. I don't believe most of us can bring a rolling suitcase of the size you have plus a TS and stay within the rules
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the nice thing about the TS is that it痴 size is right at the max of a personal item. So, you can still take a carry-on roller-board (in my case a Travelpro that conforms to carry-on requirements) and one personal item (TS).

Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums! Great review, and I gotta admit-I'm kind of shocked that the TS works for any airline as a personal item. I was always under the impression that the Western Flyer was kind of at the "upper limit" as far as size limits for a personal item go, so the fact that the Tri-Star fits is pretty neat.
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, HLT2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, probably not 殿ny airline but definitely US domestic and definitely not Ryan Air. All the same, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tri-Star wouldn't count as a personal item on Australian and New Zealand airlines either.

Looking at the photos above, I am curious about your money bags which look useful. They seem to carry two currencies each, is that right? Where did you get them?
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tri-Star Review from an Airline Pilot

The Friend Shop owned by Mr. Kim. Itaewon, Seoul, South Korea. You can fit two on each side and one zippered pocket on top for a total of five compartments. He痴 kind of famous with Airline crews for making these money bags and bag tags with the airline logos.

FRIEND SHOP NAME ON LUGGAGE TAG & HAT
    South Korea, Seoul, Yongsan-gu, Itaewon 1(il)-dong, 58-1-dong、
    +82 10-5229-4331
    https://goo.gl/maps/3YCR8qsEEjoupcnj9

Last edited by fly-dad; 04-06-2020 at 01:12 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, what a great review. Also, thanks for being part of the team of many people that keep us safe in the air.