Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

V1/2/3 mask first impressions

My V2 and V3 masks arrived yesterday, just wanted to share some quick thoughts.

V1:
    LOVE the ear loop material, s/m size fits really well. Itís so comfortable! The thin fabric make it very handy and stashable, I keep it in an internal pocket in my Side Effect (my running bag) in case I stop to buy something on my way home.

V2:
    The neck lanyard/ear loop adjustability mechanism is GENIUS. What a great feature. My first impression is that I prefer the slim and sleek V1 fabric because the thicker V2 (and V3 in particular) feels bulky in a way that makes me question the fit, but time will tell (not much time, as it turns out below).

V3:
    Same great ear loops and lanyard except there are three layers, so itís much thicker than the others. On the one hand, there is so much bulky fabric I look like a horse in it. On the other hand, an internal washable filter is exactly the sort of functionality that I want in a mask and V3 was the one I chose to put on at Asda this afternoon (I had all three with me).

Hope this helps someone decide. If I were recommending I would say one of each isnít a bad plan, because, just like with bags, sometimes you need a thin one and sometimes you need a thick one!
    Last edited by Cristina; 07-22-2020 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Added pics

Forum Member
    Central NY
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    My V2 and V3 masks arrived yesterday, just wanted to share some quick thoughts.

V1:
    LOVE the ear loop material, s/m size fits really well. It’s so comfortable! The thin fabric make it very handy and stashable, I keep it in an internal pocket in my Side Effect (my running bag) in case I stop to buy something on my way home.

V2:
    The neck lanyard/ear loop adjustability mechanism is GENIUS. What a great feature. My first impression is that I prefer the slim and sleek V1 fabric because the thicker V2 (and V3 in particular) feels bulky in a way that makes me question the fit, but time will tell (not much time, as it turns out below).

V3:
    Same great ear loops and lanyard except there are three layers, so it’s much thicker than the others. On the one hand, there is so much bulky fabric I look like a horse in it. On the other hand, an internal washable filter is exactly the sort of functionality that I want in a mask and V3 was the one I chose to put on at Asda this afternoon (I had all three with me).

Hope this helps someone decide. If I were recommending I would say one of each isn’t a bad plan, because, just like with bags, sometimes you need a thin one and sometimes you need a thick one!
    Thank you for the review and comparisons of V2 and V3. I ordered both and am looking forward to trying them. I love V1 and I think the convenience of the lanyard is going to be awesome!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My V3 masks arrived along with other goodies.

I ordered 1 of each size. The M/L is HUGE! It creeps up to above my eyes :).
    No problem - I know someone with a full beard who would appreciate it.

I like the size of the S/M.

Yes, the V3 is thicker than the V1 (I do not have the V2). But the extra room definitely makes it more comfy.

I will be able to use the V3 mask for paddling (dragon boat team) - when restrictions are lifted.

Which brings me to: @Darcy , just being curious: can I spray this mask with nikwax (the side away from skin) for a bit of waterproofing?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Received my first V3 mask today. The sm/med size fits both my wife and I. The adjustable non-elastic ear loops work well. I already know the neck lanyard will be very practical because I have a tendency to leave the mask in the car when I go to the store. The mask is well constructed and arrived in record time (LOVE the free shipping!).

Down side: First thing I noticed was that the bendable nose bridge was uncomfortable, even after adjusting the mask to make sure it wasn't too tight. My wife and I both wear glasses. I tried putting my glasses under the mask, but that results in fogging. We removed the metal strip from the pouch and tried it again. Better, but the pouch the metal strip slips into still makes it a little uncomfortable. My wife said she can "re-engineer" the mask by removing the nose-bridge pouch and re-sewing it if necessary, but I don't feel she should have to do that. None-the-less, we ordered 3 more because all we have are the masks my employer provided which fit very poorly.

To be fair, it maybe I'm just not used to the metal strip. I will try just wearing the mask around the house and while doing errands. The ultimate test will be wearing it while I'm driving the bus. It's important that the mask and my glasses are compatible and I don't have to constantly fiddle with either one.
    Last edited by Metrodriver; 09-05-2020 at 10:12 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @Metrodriver

For the mask nose section, try experimenting with different materials. Regular twist ties like you get on bread bags, pipe cleaners, any wire you may have, etc. I personally use the flat plastic ties off of coffee bags, slightly trimmed to length (I drink Peet's coffee), in all version of TB masks. I also wear glasses and put the top edge of the mask just inside/behind where my glasses sit... takes a moment to get used to because it slightly changes your focal length, but prevents my glasses from fogging in combination with the flat plastic tie shaping the mask to my nose/cheeks.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Welcome to the Forums @Metrodriver

For the mask nose section, try experimenting with different materials. Regular twist ties like you get on bread bags, pipe cleaners, any wire you may have, etc. I personally use the flat plastic ties off of coffee bags, slightly trimmed to length (I drink Peet's coffee), in all version of TB masks. I also wear glasses and put the top edge of the mask just inside/behind where my glasses sit... takes a moment to get used to because it slightly changes your focal length, but prevents my glasses from fogging in combination with the flat plastic tie shaping the mask to my nose/cheeks.

I wore it around the house for about a couple of hours w/o the metal strip. I discovered that it's actually the fold in the material at the top center-edge of the mask that is bothering me, it makes that particular spot stiff and uncomfortable. I need to position the mask so that I can wear my glasses with the mask w/o fogging them up, but that seems to be hard to do. After about an hour, I started to develop a red spot on the bridge of my nose where the seam was. I can imagine what would happen after 9hrs wearing it at work.

The funny thing is I tried wearing it upside down. It was much more comfortable because there was no seam resting on the bridge of my nose, and I could position my glasses normally.
    Last edited by Metrodriver; 09-05-2020 at 10:14 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Metrodriver,

That's a clever hack (turning it upside-down)!

I wear glasses most of the time as well, though I haven't had to wear my mask for a 9-hour stretch. Of the TB masks, I find the V2 and V1 most compatible with glasses; I often leave out the metal strip as well.

If you want to try a mask which doesn't have a metal strip at all, I have used some made from this pattern, which I find very comfy:

https://thecraftyquilter.com/2020/03...-and-tutorial/

There is a pocket for a filter if you want to add one. I find that if I rest my glasses over the top of the mask, they don't fog up, and the material is flexible enough that it doesn't create a "hot spot" at the bridge of the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Metrodriver View Post
    I wore it around the house for about a couple of hours w/o the metal strip. I discovered that it's actually the fold in the material at the top center-edge of the mask that is bothering me, it makes that particular spot stiff and uncomfortable. I need to position the mask so that I can wear my glasses with the mask w/o fogging them up, but that seems to be hard to do. After about an hour, I started to develop a red spot on the bridge of my nose where the seam was. I can imagine what would happen after 9hrs wearing it at work.

The funny thing is I tried wearing it upside down. It was much more comfortable because there was no seam resting on the bridge of my nose, and I could position my glasses normally.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrodriver View Post

The new V4 mask that is coming soon is cut & sewn differently and one of the benefits is that there is no center seam at the bridge of the nose.
    @haraya posted a lovely review

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...mparisons.html
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...