Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Synik 30 arrived last week; I think I may be in love with a bag.

My Synik 30 in Mars Red arrived last week, and I wanted to share some pictures and thoughts about it for everyone. First of all, it's certainly more "mars" than it is "red," if that makes sense, but that's okay. I didn't want black or grey, and I didn't see a blue that I liked. My wife says it looks like "sienna," and I guess that's right. I've included a picture of it with what most everyone would consider a color "red" as a point of contrast. All that said, I really wish it was red like the raincoat, but I can grow into loving the color. When TB shifts to making bags in bright primary colors again, maybe I'll be ready to pass this one on to a kid.

In another picture, you'll see what I normally carry everyday, save a 16" MacBook Pro. In one side pocket, I carry pens; in the other side pocket, I have my Anker Soundcore headphones; and in the big center pocket I have a 20 oz widemouth Hydroflask. The ghost whale hanging there is a mini, and I tend to keep my AirPods in there when I'm not wearing them. In the bottom "chin pocket" I have a small snake charmer with chargers, cables, and a small external SSD.

In the built-in pocket, I keep the 9.7" iPad, and there's room in the main pocket for a 1" binder and books and other items to not feel too full. I picked up a stuff sack to use for that same raincoat, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I was really worried that a bag with more modular organization options would feel like black hole in that pocket, but it's been good so far. I'm waiting for the Freudian slip to come back in stock, and I imagine that'll open up lots of possibilities for me.

I haven't mastered the side pocket yet for the MacBook Pro, but having access like that is great.

Here are my thoughts and where I'm headed next: I think I'll get a large snake charmer when those are a available. I'll keep this small one as a toiletry/sock/underwear bag for my A45, but I want to allow for more space in that lower pocket. I may opt for some cubes instead, but that's up in the air.

I'd like to make room for my 32 oz Hydroflask in the middle pocket, but right now, the soundcores take up a lot of space. If anyone has suggestions for how to maybe keep those in the main pocket, that'd be great. I'd prefer them not be in the chin pocket as a means of keeping them safe and intact.

Finally, I need to do something with zipper pulls. I'm not great with coordinating colors, but I think wasabi pulls would look great on this bag. I want something that pops against that red, but it's kind of a muted color, so I don't know what to do. Any thoughts or suggestion there? Also, what's the general consensus on the right size of paracord? Or the best place to get it?

Thanks to all of you who helped shepherd me through this purchase! It was fun, and I'm already looking forward to my next purchase!
    Attached Images Attached Images New Synik 30 arrived last week; I think I may be in love with a bag.-img_1447-jpg  New Synik 30 arrived last week; I think I may be in love with a bag.-img_1448-jpg  New Synik 30 arrived last week; I think I may be in love with a bag.-img_1449-jpg 
    Last edited by father_dawg; 08-21-2020 at 03:06 PM. Reason: added another question

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos and great colour! It may not be Red but it's a glorious red from where I'm sitting!

As for pulls, I like where you're going with the Wasabi colourway. If you're looking for something more muted that will still pop, I've seen some pairings of red and Coyote that I think look really sharp. Usually it's a Coyote bag with red pulls, but I think the reverse could be quite sharp.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cloverandmills View Post
    Great photos and great colour! It may not be Red but it's a glorious red from where I'm sitting!

As for pulls, I like where you're going with the Wasabi colourway. If you're looking for something more muted that will still pop, I've seen some pairings of red and Coyote that I think look really sharp. Usually it's a Coyote bag with red pulls, but I think the reverse could be quite sharp.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Welcome to the Forums @cloverandmills ! I like Coyote with Mars Red as well
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to toss in another vote for Coyote pulls on a Mars Red bag. Enjoy the new bag and welcome to the forums!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest