Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post
    I hope everyone reading this thread understands that I am reviewing these masks in terms of my own experiences and opinions. What I may think or say isn’t necessarily a universal (or popular, even!) opinion.
    I totally get that and I appreciate your review -- and this point you're making is so important. Our goal is to offer enough different face mask designs and materials so that many people can find a face mask that we make that works for them. There's no one t-shirt brand/design/cut/style that works for everyone and I think face masks are similar. Some people prefer a lot of face coverage, others don't. Some people prioritize breathability and others want multiple layers. Some folks want prints and others want solids. Some want pockets for filters and others don't. etc etc.

I did just update the V2 page today to list the 100% Cotton Flannel options as In Production for that style.

Quote Originally Posted by ayazgood View Post
    +1 for separating the lanyard. love it, and the current system works, but is harder to put on and feels less secure. I don't see the need for "adjustability" of the ear loops, and the lanyard is too short.
    Hmm: emailus@tombihn.com because the very first week lanyard masks that shipped -- a few folks found the lanyard could be longer, so we made it longer, and since then, we haven't heard from anyone that it's too short. We'd be glad to send you a new mask with the longer lanyard!

We made the ear loops adjustable because it allows for folks to snug the ear loops without having to knot them, and some folks found the ear loop lengths of the V1 to be too short. Will share your feedback on this with Nik!
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Hmm: emailus@tombihn.com because the very first week lanyard masks that shipped -- a few folks found the lanyard could be longer, so we made it longer, and since then, we haven't heard from anyone that it's too short. We'd be glad to send you a new mask with the longer lanyard!
    Ha! sneaky @Darcy , I thought I was just going crazy that it seemed like the total amount of lanyard + ear loops was longer...
    :)
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Chicagoan and others who might have mentioned this... you CAN remove the metal stay in the V4 version and replace it with your own twist ties or whatever

I used my typical Peet's coffee bag flat tie in my test version of the V4 mask as I prefer how it shapes and holds shape. I also wear glasses and for me at least, the new folded bit does seem to help snug it to my face a bit more, but I find keeping the ear loops snug is also key.
    With that being said, I do also intend on getting some of the new flannel V2 versions to try, since the flannel is designed to be a chaotic fabric...
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

V4: Stuck in the Middle

@G42

I didnít notice the nose bridge was removable until I went back to pry open the fabric channel in which it sits.

Itís not obvious on V4 because they have trimmed back the length of the metal bridge piece to fit inside the channel (the twist ties used in V1 masks are longer and their excess is folded back on the fabric channel at both sides).

Full disclosure: I immediately liked Tom Bihn face masks because the ear loops had enough tension to keep the mask against your face but NOT pull your ears forward. Other masks were extremely painful for me to wear for long periods of time. If eliminating fogging comes at the expense of tighter ear loops, itís a solution that wonít be comfortable for me.

Smart move on using the flat tie from a coffee bag. I donít keep grounds at home, but it got me wondering what other household items would provide the same type of twist tie substitute. Probably could start a thread on that subject alone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

@G42

I didnít notice the nose bridge was removable until I went back to pry open the fabric channel in which it sits.

Itís not obvious on V4 because they have trimmed back the length of the metal bridge piece to fit inside the channel (the twist ties used in V1 masks are longer and their excess is folded back on the fabric channel at both sides).

Full disclosure: I immediately liked Tom Bihn face masks because the ear loops had enough tension to keep the mask against your face but NOT pull your ears forward. Other masks were extremely painful for me to wear for long periods of time. If eliminating fogging comes at the expense of tighter ear loops, itís a solution that wonít be comfortable for me.

Smart move on using the flat tie from a coffee bag. I donít keep grounds at home, but it got me wondering what other household items would provide the same type of twist tie substitute. Probably could start a thread on that subject alone!
    Yeah, I think it's tucked in more on V4 because they have that sewn tuck/fold thing going on to help form that area better to your face... but if you can't easily wiggle it out, the product description page mentions using tweezers to help push/pull the metal piece out if you can't grab it. I was able to wiggle it out without tweezers though.

A lot of folks have chimed in, in various threads, about adding additional twist ties, the larger ties from the coffee bags, craft wire, other wire or stiffeners they have around the house - lots of creative folks on here - it's just not all in one thread, though you're more than welcome to start one!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post

We made the ear loops adjustable because it allows for folks to snug the ear loops without having to knot them, and some folks found the ear loop lengths of the V1 to be too short. Will share your feedback on this with Nik!
    Thanks for the offer, but it's not necessary. I plan to order the v4 anyway. Not sure if I have the early model v3. I just know mine is a little awkward to use with a collared shirt.

I like the lanyard enough to put up with the extra fiddling with the earloops and slightly looser fit. I haven't seen it mentioned, but there's no apparent reason not to just tie off the earloops at the correct length if I want.

FWIW: The M/L v3/v4 pattern seems to fit my face better than the M/L v1/v2 pattern. I don't usually mind the triple layer of the v3, but there have been times when I'm exerting myself that it was too much (I guess I'm getting a good enough seal with it, despite air leaking out the sides). It is true I can talk while wearing the v3, but using it while on speaker phone has not worked well - I sound too muffled to people on the other end.

Just out of curiosity, has Nik experimented with pleated face mask patterns? I still prefer the TB mask, but the pleated variety does seem to adjust more easily to different face shapes and sizes.
    Last edited by ayazgood; 09-26-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @G42

I didn’t notice the nose bridge was removable until I went back to pry open the fabric channel in which it sits.

It’s not obvious on V4 because they have trimmed back the length of the metal bridge piece to fit inside the channel (the twist ties used in V1 masks are longer and their excess is folded back on the fabric channel at both sides).

Full disclosure: I immediately liked Tom Bihn face masks because the ear loops had enough tension to keep the mask against your face but NOT pull your ears forward. Other masks were extremely painful for me to wear for long periods of time. If eliminating fogging comes at the expense of tighter ear loops, it’s a solution that won’t be comfortable for me.

Smart move on using the flat tie from a coffee bag. I don’t keep grounds at home, but it got me wondering what other household items would provide the same type of twist tie substitute. Probably could start a thread on that subject alone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chicagoan ,
    I've posted some pictures of alternative ties for the nose bridge, including @G42 's Peet's coffee ties in a post in the Modify first V1 face mask? thread. I actually used these ties, not for the face masks, but as a way to manage extra strap length on the Luminary backpacks before they made strap retainers. When I tried these in the first V1 masks that I received, I found that they didn't fit one of the masks (but appear to fit the ones that I received since then). @G42 's original review of the V1 mask was TB Mask Review - poly/cotton blend version, S/M and M/L

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @G42 likes to use the plastic ties that come at the top of Peet's Coffee Bags (I used these as a way to control straps on the Luminary 15 before we had the strap retainers). I found that in a few cases the stitching on the band of the v1 nose bridge was too tight for these to fit, but in most cases I could slide these in. By the way, I haven't actually had to do this for my own masks. When they sent us the prototypes, the wire didn't come inserted (it was separately in the package), and we were experimenting with other ties etc. that could be used if people lost the wire, which now comes inserted in the mask, and with the ends folded back). I don't wear glasses, but @G42 does, so you may find that this works well for you. (I also don't drink that much coffee, but I have a source of these ties from the tops of Peet's Coffee bags someone else who does). This works pretty well, because the outside of the ties is coated with plastic, and also gently ridged so that it slides into place without slipping. The only caveat is that in a few of the v1 masks the spacing may be sewn just slightly too narrowly for this twist tie to fit in. This fit into all the v1 masks I've received except for one of the very first ones that they sent us (I think this was light blue in color, and it nearly fit).

HTH

moriond

ETA: Some pictures

This is a v1 mask with the default twist-tie inserted in place. Below it is one of the plastic ties from the top of Peet's coffee bags. Above it is another grocery tie

I've taken out the twist-tie that ships with the mask, and inserted the Peet's coffee tie. You can see that it occupies most of the width, but fits in easily, and is flat and moldable, so that it works well to fit over the nose. Other solutions will also work. You can cut the long edges and bend it back so there are no sharp edges.

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Yeah, I think it's tucked in more on V4 because they have that sewn tuck/fold thing going on to help form that area better to your face... but if you can't easily wiggle it out, the product description page mentions using tweezers to help push/pull the metal piece out if you can't grab it. I was able to wiggle it out without tweezers though.

A lot of folks have chimed in, in various threads, about adding additional twist ties, the larger ties from the coffee bags, craft wire, other wire or stiffeners they have around the house - lots of creative folks on here - it's just not all in one thread, though you're more than welcome to start one!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love the lanyard part to be longer so I don't have to readjust the ear loops after I put it on or take it off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ayazgood View Post
    It is true I can talk while wearing the v3, but using it while on speaker phone has not worked well - I sound too muffled to people on the other end.
    I haven't worn any of my Tom Bihn masks to work (retail) because my voice is too muffled when talking on the phone with customers or on the radio with coworkers - and I wear each mask for only one shift at work before washing it, requiring many masks. My retired-nurse mother has been making masks for us, so I have a few dozen masks made exactly for my small face.
    Wearing a mask all day on a regular basis (at least four days a week, I'd say, I know some people six or seven!) and wearing each mask once before washing means I need many masks. Not ten, more like forty. I'm very lucky to have so many for free because they do not last forever. I send batches of the ones she makes back to my mother for replacing the nose bridge and ear loops after two months or so.

I personally like the adjustability of the ear loops and the lanyard on the V2 and V3 and the open space in front of my mouth and nose of the V3, and I am looking forward to the increased density of the flannel fabric of the V4, but the pictures do highlight my concern about the structure of of the flannel. I've ironed the V2 after washing but still have trouble with it sucking in and touching my mouth after wearing and washing it several times. So far, the V3s have been okay, but I've washed them far fewer times as I have had two of them for a shorter length of time than the one V2.

I wonder if a mask could have flannel as the inner layer(s) and a stiffer fabric for the outer layer. It would need to be more stiff than the V1/outer-layer-of-V3 fabric to keep the thicker flannel out, so I don't know if it would be breathable enough.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like being able to adjust the ear loops but I wish the lanyard was MUCH longer so I didn't have to readjust the ear loops every time I put the mask over my head.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2