Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bag-a-Day Challenge

Hey everyone.

Iím sure Iím not alone in having somewhat disgruntled bags in my TB collection right now. We have not travelled farther than four miles from our home since March. At night, I hear the bags knocking around in the closet, grumbling about getting bored and restless. Iíve got to do something.

To maintain the peace I decided I will take a different bag out every day. Iíve set myself a five day challenge, but Iím sure I could do a fortnight if I tried!

Rules: Take a different bag out each day, though my essentials in my Logic Blue Everyday Cubelet (EC) are allowed to stay as they are and move from bag to bag.

Day 1:
    Icon v1 in Logic Blue.
    Minimal carry needed today, just EC plus umbrella, kidsí snacks, shopping bag and hat.

One thing I like about this bag is that I can put my tiny ultra lightweight umbrella in the bottom of the front pocket and my keys sit on top of it, rather than sinking to the bottom. (Not pictured)
    I also like that it has a few different zippered pockets instead of one big one. Iím a sucker for pockets. Another handy feature is that I can fit a 16oz travel tea mug/tea flask in the main pocket. (Also not pictured, sorry!!)

See you on Day 2!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bag-a-Day Challenge

Not to hijack the topic - but your Icon Logic Blue is so pretty.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Hey everyone.

I’m sure I’m not alone in having somewhat disgruntled bags in my TB collection right now. We have not travelled farther than four miles from our home since March. At night, I hear the bags knocking around in the closet, grumbling about getting bored and restless. I’ve got to do something.

To maintain the peace I decided I will take a different bag out every day. I’ve set myself a five day challenge, but I’m sure I could do a fortnight if I tried!

Rules: Take a different bag out each day, though my essentials in my Logic Blue Everyday Cubelet (EC) are allowed to stay as they are and move from bag to bag.

Day 1:
    Icon v1 in Logic Blue.
    Minimal carry needed today, just EC plus umbrella, kids’ snacks, shopping bag and hat.

One thing I like about this bag is that I can put my tiny ultra lightweight umbrella in the bottom of the front pocket and my keys sit on top of it, rather than sinking to the bottom. (Not pictured)
    I also like that it has a few different zippered pockets instead of one big one. I’m a sucker for pockets. Another handy feature is that I can fit a 16oz travel tea mug/tea flask in the main pocket. (Also not pictured, sorry!!)

See you on Day 2!
    For those of you who want to see all those things "(Also not pictured, sorry!!)", most of these features can be found in @Cristina 's earlier posts about the Icon. I point you, for example, to The Icon for EDC thread from 12-02-2019. I'll excerpt a few pictures of the umbrella, mug, and keys. (You can visit the thread and view some pictures of the these items sitting inside the Icon, too)

[In the main pocket, my essentials from the TC and also some extras (mug, shopping bag, Super Mini GWs, and 3DOC for cleanups while out with the kids.]
    Bag-a-Day Challenge-6ccc13008961cc6cf6f4985c617b9309-jpg

[And in the front pocket, an ultra light umbrella on which sit my keys:]
    Bag-a-Day Challenge-2fbd3daef6e00ab457bfe4f6810df7c7-jpg

As I said, go visit the original thread for lots more pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Not to hijack the topic - but your Icon Logic Blue is so pretty.
    Yup, I agree with this. I have a Logic Blue Icon, too. My pictures showed a Zojurushi mug carried in the main zippered compartment.

HTH

moriond

Alabama
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day 1
    Pop tote in aubergine as my edc, next to my classic ďmessy teacherís desk,Ē seriously tho I swear the more organized I try to be the less organized I am and it eventually just ends up in piles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day 1
    Wilderness and Sitka riding shotgun in carline.

Bag-a-Day Challenge-32436bb4-e517-4734-86f1-a51aa7f5a29a-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day 2: Little Swift in Black 1050D Ballistic / Fjord Halcyon

This is the bag that was really irritated with me for being left in the wardrobe. I had a minimal load today, pretty much the same as yesterday, though on the way home I lent my friend my shopping bag so the Little Swift had to carry a couple of extra passengers.

Carrying snacks in one clear pocket, shopping bag and umbrella in the other clear pocket, with Contigo 16 Oz mug and EC with essentials sitting in the main open space.

Extra passengers on the way home from the shop after I lent a friend my shopping bag.

What I like about this bag is how sleek it is yet how you can see everything in the bag so easily. Itís adorable.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day 2

Navy blue/coyote dlbp carried water, hand wipes, and extra masks at the park today. Virtual kindergarten days are HARD. But it barely got to 80 today so I think we’ve officially turned the corner on summer. We’ll be able to spend long stretches of time outside for awhile and the dlbp is always my adventuring bag.

Bag-a-Day Challenge-a8a48501-bde6-4c68-b516-ff2ea8885375-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day 3: Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in Sitka with old-style strap attachment points.

Honestly, what I need to carry usually varies more than this, but Iíve still just got the EC, (different) shopping bag, umbrella and snacks.

Everything in main pocket except umbrella:

Umbrella in front pocket:

This is a gorgeous bag. My PCSBs all make me feel a little bolt of joy when I look at them because I love those Halcyon colors so much.

Speaking of Halcyon, my Halcyon EC makes me wonder what a PCSB would be like with one interior wall lined with Aether pockets. I know that in the Before Times there was talk of making a pocketed PCSB-sized Side Kick, and I hope one day to see it. But for now, I will enjoy my beautiful bag.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post

This is a gorgeous bag. My PCSBs all make me feel a little bolt of joy when I look at them because I love those Halcyon colors so much.

Speaking of Halcyon, my Halcyon EC makes me wonder what a PCSB would be like with one interior wall lined with Aether pockets. I know that in the Before Times there was talk of making a pocketed PCSB-sized Side Kick, and I hope one day to see it. But for now, I will enjoy my beautiful bag.
    I'm with you on the Halcyon happiness!

We'll see what the Design Labs version of the PCSB ends up being...
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been asking for PCSB pockets like those of the Side Kick for years in the annual wish list.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bag-a-Day Challenge

Day 2
    My super mini ghost whale has been amazing as a purse/wallet as I donít carry either any more. I leave the house with my keys and my phone. Second pic is all that I squeeze into said gw, including that purple cloth face mask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bag-a-Day Challenge

Day 4: Daylight backpack, Alphaviolet 525 Ballistic/Viridian 210 Ballistic

Oh my goodness I just realized I only took internal pics of the bag today! Iíll have to grab more pics in the light tomorrow before I repack for Day 5 and update this post (ETA: new pics added!). The bright colors of this bag are so joyful that I wouldnít be doing the bag justice without a good pic.

I had the same minimal load today. I like to put most things in the front pocket of the DLBP, though I put my snacks in one of inside pockets.

Honestly Iím going to retake all my pictures as you canít actually see any of my things. Bag-a-Day ChallengeBag-a-Day ChallengeBag-a-Day Challenge
    (ETA: new pics!)

A couple of snacks hiding deep in the inside pockets:

EC, shopping bag and umbrella hiding in front pocket:

I like the Daylight backpack as a ďI donít need to carry much but I might pop into a shop and buy a liter of milk and some jars of nut butterĒ bag. It is surprisingly spacious. It can even fit a bike helmet in the main pocket!

The bike helmet was out for my Shadow Guide review pics, and I was surprised I could get it in the DLBP. It was snug but it did zip closed!

See you on Day 5, Iím excited for Day 5 because Iím going to take one of my favorites out tomorrow and reveal a secret Iíve been keeping about it.
    Last edited by Cristina; 10-23-2020 at 02:02 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Cristina ,

You do recall @tpnl's hack for carrying a bike helmet outside a Daylight Backpack, don't you?
    It's also featured in the Hacks video starting around 2m 36s

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Cristina ,

You do recall @tpnl's hack for carrying a bike helmet outside a Daylight Backpack, don't you?
    It's also featured in the Hacks video starting around 2m 36s

moriond
    Thanks @moriond ! I hope to become a regular rider in the near future and this will be very handy to know.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bag-a-Day Challenge

Day 5: Parental Unit in Aubergine 525/NW sky

My beloved Parental Unit! This is my second PU, my first one is Black Halcyon/Ultraviolet. This bag is a pocket-loverís dream.

In the pic above you can see my Quick Adjust Absolute Strap, which is an Absolute Strap I cut and to which I attached quick-adjust sliders/buckles/thingies. You can also see my Guardian light. On the triangle hook I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer and a double swivel carabiner (for attaching random things like kidsí raincoats).

Inside the bag is the same EC, which lives in the center side pocket on the ďoutsideĒ of the bag (itís a symmetrical bag but the Absolute Strap only curves one way so there is definitely a right and a wrong way to put this bag on).

The Parental Unit is why I carry an EC. This pocket here is its home base to me. The Side Effect also fits very well here but as it is a horizontal bag the zippers arenít easy to access while the bag is docked. To the left and right of the EC are various sanitizers, wipes, lip balms, and creams.

In the main pocket, all sorts of stuff for going to the park:

You can see a collapsible bowl for picking blackberries (Fozzil, recommended by @G42 thanks!!), my little Fulton umbrella, and hidden are at least one hat, pair of gloves, neckwarmer and shopping bag.

The ďinsideĒ Side pocket carries a first aid kit in a Second Aid Kit and snacks:

My (first) Second Aid Kit contains childrenís Tylenol/paracetamol, bandages and balms, and chocolate:

Yesterday I promised to reveal a secret. I might have revealed this before on the Ravelry or FB page but not here.

So my secret is: if I am going out all day I use my Parental Unit as a bag inside a bag. My shoulder will start to hurt under the weight of a fully-packed PU, which didnít matter while I was using the stroller everyday, but I stopped doing that last year, so I needed to turn my PU into a backpack. I thought of the Haglofs medium Corker backpack I bought on a trip to Switzerland in 2006 when my day pack was hurting my shoulders. It has a large C-shaped side opening. Itís a perfect house for my PU:

I can get at all the zippers! Itís bag-in-bag heaven.

So thatís my secret. I love my PU, and I love it even more as a backpack! Itís the perfect combination of organization, accessibility and comfort.

See you on Day 6.
    Last edited by Cristina; 10-24-2020 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Typo (sigh)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast