Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truckasana - first look as a yoga tote for Iyengar

I practice (emphasis on practice) Iyengar yoga - a style which includes a lot of different props... whatever it takes to help you relax and stretch into a pose, at whatever ability your body can do.

Until TB makes a Truckasana version with Synapse 3000 capacity https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/n...n-synapse-3000 I won't be able to include the floor, wall, and yoga chair that are also part of my kit.

My kit, if I'm going to a class, includes a yoga mat, two or more blocks, two blankets, a strap, and a water bottle.
    Here's a basic look

Truckasana - first look as a yoga tote for Iyengar-pxl_20201204_190853110-jpeg

Normally, I'd leave the blankets in that folded size but they don't fit in the Truckasana... so I tried rolling them around the yoga mat, which works but it isn't ideal. Note however that I can still get my hand in the handles.

Truckasana - first look as a yoga tote for Iyengar-pxl_20201204_190052251-jpeg

I also tried putting the blankets on top of the mat, which also works, but less favorable (to me) than rolling.

Truckasana - first look as a yoga tote for Iyengar-pxl_20201204_190221927-jpeg

So while the Truckasana does sort of work, it's not really big enough for my full Iyengar I'm-Way-Too-Unlimber-Props setup.
    Note that two mats rolled up (which I also do sometimes when I'm at the community center with hard floors) does fit too.

I also tried a setup with water bottle, blocks, strap, and a yoga mat wrapped around a foam roller - which is what I'd bring to a floor pilates class. It works just fine for this use case.

Truckasana - first look as a yoga tote for Iyengar-pxl_20201204_185501006-jpeg

Originally I thought the Truckasana was going to be Monster Truck sized - so I mocked up what my stuff would look like with my Ursa MT.
    Blankets folded in the main section, block to either side, water bottle on one side, strap on the other (strap fits everywhere).

Truckasana - first look as a yoga tote for Iyengar-pxl_20201204_191351507-jpeg

Mat on top, fits just fine but obviously missing the stability of the shaped top & Toughtek pads of the Truckasana

Truckasana - first look as a yoga tote for Iyengar-pxl_20201204_191440112-jpeg

Side view

Truckasana - first look as a yoga tote for Iyengar-pxl_20201204_191409997-jpeg

At first I was disappointed that I couldn't easily fit my Iyengar gear in the Truckasana, but I'm happy it works for Pilates and it's just dandy for the picnic set up that I previously shared.
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...tml#post195009

I'm also going to see how a bit of car camping carry works, since the rolled self inflating mattress is also cylindrical.

My ideal would be a version sized like a Monster Truck - which is why I already put it into the Wish List :)
    Last edited by G42; 12-05-2020 at 08:09 AM. Reason: clarifications
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truckasana - first look as a yoga tote for Iyengar

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I practice (emphasis on practice) Iyengar yoga - a style which includes a lot of different props... whatever it takes to help you relax and stretch into a pose, at whatever ability your body can do.

Until TB makes a Truckasana version with Synapse 3000 capacity https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/n...n-synapse-3000 I won't be able to include the floor, wall, and yoga chair that are also part of my kit.

My kit, if I'm going to a class, includes a yoga mat, two or more blocks, two blankets, a strap, and a water bottle.
    Here's a basic look

Truckasana - first look as a yoga tote for Iyengar-pxl_20201204_190853110-jpeg

Normally, I'd leave the blankets in that folded size but they don't fit in the Truckasana... so I tried rolling them around the yoga mat, which works but it isn't ideal. Note however that I can still get my hand in the handles.

Truckasana - first look as a yoga tote for Iyengar-pxl_20201204_190052251-jpeg

I also tried putting the blankets on top of the mat, which also works, but less favorable (to me) than rolling.

Truckasana - first look as a yoga tote for Iyengar-pxl_20201204_190221927-jpeg

So while the Truckasana does sort of work, it's not really big enough for my full Iyengar I'm-Way-Too-Unlimber-Props setup.
    Note that two mats rolled up (which I also do sometimes when I'm at the community center with hard floors) does fit too.

I also tried a setup with water bottle, blocks, strap, and a yoga mat wrapped around a foam roller - which is what I'd bring to a floor pilates class.

Truckasana - first look as a yoga tote for Iyengar-pxl_20201204_185501006-jpeg

Originally I thought the Truckasana was going to be Monster Truck sized - so I mocked up what my stuff would look like with my Ursa MT.
    Blankets folded in the main section, block to either side, water bottle on one side, strap on the other (strap fits everywhere).

Truckasana - first look as a yoga tote for Iyengar-pxl_20201204_191351507-jpeg

Mat on top, fits just fine but obviously missing the stability of the shaped top & Toughtek pads of the Truckasana

Truckasana - first look as a yoga tote for Iyengar-pxl_20201204_191440112-jpeg

Side view

Truckasana - first look as a yoga tote for Iyengar-pxl_20201204_191409997-jpeg

At first I was disappointed that I couldn't easily fit my Iyengar gear in the Truckasana, but I'm happy it works for Pilates and it's just dandy for the picnic set up that I previously shared.
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...tml#post195009

I'm also going to see how a bit of car camping carry works, since the rolled self inflating mattress is also cylindrical.

My ideal would be a version sized like a Monster Truck - which is why I already put it into the Wish List :)
    Thanks for posting all this!

Great review and the pictures are especially helpful.

Funny you mention car camping - I used a Monster Truck for most of my solo car camping trips last year. It held the tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, cookset and most my accessories. Still surprised at how much I could fit in that one tote bag, and I think that was the reason it kept coming along on trips. I live in a second floor, walk-up apartment that is some distance from the parking lot so the fewer trips I can make to my car, the better.

From what I can tell the Truckasana is a MUCH smaller bag, with longer handles but a shorter height.

Mine hasnít yet come in the mail but when it does Iím hoping to make use of it as an overnight bag or a solo car camping bag.

Iíd be excited to see how much camping gear you could fit in the Truckasana, and if youíre up for it, folks like myself would definitely find it helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest