Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 87 of 188 FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 89 97 137 187 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 2807
    TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    They also sell Oru kayaks at REI. I did not have room to store nor could I lift a regular kayak easily, so I got this as an alternative. It weighs 26 lbs and folds up fairly small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How is it for maneuverability? My husband and I have a huge 16-foot fiberglass canoe that we love, but I'm not getting any younger, and that sucker is HEAVY!

Forum Member
    San Antonio, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How big is a small shop bag?

So, I assume that many of you regulars on the forums are quite familiar with the shop bags, but I wasn't and I bought my first one in Sitka. (Which I am currently trading for a PCSB and buying in a different color*––but that's another story.)

Here is my little exploration of the shop bag, with a special shout-out to @Janine, who was my inspiration (see toilet paper roll below)! I love reading your posts, @Janine! All the "old timers" on this forum really make this Tom Bihn stuff so much more fun than "just" bags.

Unboxing (Sitka SSB, Plum FJN, Cocoa Cordura Mini OP):
    Your Photos Are Needed-20160407_212931-jpg

Very exciting to see the colors, which, on my computer, are showing up pretty true-to-life, despite my terrible photographing skills and my somewhat crappy phone camera. The FJN and the Mini OP are anniversary gifts to my husband, and I'll discuss them in another post.

First of all, no one really told me that the Shop Bags are... well.. trapezoidal! Like an isosceles trapezoid. (Is that a thing? I'm not so great at geometry.)
    Your Photos Are Needed-20160407_215045-1-jpg

Somehow I never realized that it would be shaped like that: decidedly narrower on the bottom. I really like that, actually. Again, many of you reading this probably knew that already, but it was a surprise to me.

Now for the size. I know that the product page explains, "The Small size [shop bag] is designed to be roughly the size of a plastic grocery shopping bag," but that didn't really help me envision the size since, well, I never carry a plastic grocery bag over my shoulder, you know? So this unflattering pic of me with it slung over my shoulder may help someone imagine the size [NOTE: I am a woman, 6'0" tall, narrow-ish build but carrying postpartum weight, so maybe.... 175 pounds or so? (I really don't know.)]:

Your Photos Are Needed-20160407_213106-jpg

And for help imagining the size, here are some common around-the-house things that might help. What, you don't have a Merriam Webster's handy at all times??

One roll of toilet tissue. By the way, the color looks like it was captured well in this pic!
    Your Photos Are Needed-20160407_213528-jpg

One box of Cheerios.
    Your Photos Are Needed-20160407_213359-jpg

One dictionary. And kind of Christmas-y with the colors.
    Your Photos Are Needed-20160407_213612-jpg

Saying hello to my Black/Iberian Side Effect.
    Your Photos Are Needed-20160407_215148-jpg

Saying hello to some of the gang (not pictured: my Aeronaut or Tristar).
    Your Photos Are Needed-20160407_215651-jpg

I hope that helps someone imagine the size! I have NEVER posted something like this before, but I have benefited a million times from other people posting pictures like this. Apologies for the quality and the huge size of the pics. Still learning. Thanks for your patience with me!

*I like the Sitka color, but I'm not totally gaga about it and I think I need a packing shoulder bag so I'm trading. But I think I'm going to buy another shop bag because it does seem useful and it is VERY VERY pretty. Much prettier than the totes I usually use for groceries or library books. But do I even want to use such a pretty bag for groceries which can get kind of gross and dirty? Again, this is a matter for a different thread.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doesntmakememadonna View Post
    So, I assume that many of you regulars on the forums are quite familiar with the shop bags, but I wasn't and I bought my first one in Sitka. (Which I am currently trading for a PCSB and buying in a different color*––but that's another story.)

Here is my little exploration of the shop bag, with a special shout-out to @Janine, who was my inspiration (see toilet paper roll below)! I love reading your posts, @Janine! All the "old timers" on this forum really make this Tom Bihn stuff so much more fun than "just" bags.

Unboxing (Sitka SSB, Plum FJN, Cocoa Cordura Mini OP):
    Your Photos Are Needed-20160407_212931-jpg

Very exciting to see the colors, which, on my computer, are showing up pretty true-to-life, despite my terrible photographing skills and my somewhat crappy phone camera. The FJN and the Mini OP are anniversary gifts to my husband, and I'll discuss them in another post.

First of all, no one really told me that the Shop Bags are... well.. trapezoidal! Like an isosceles trapezoid. (Is that a thing? I'm not so great at geometry.)
    Your Photos Are Needed-20160407_215045-1-jpg

Somehow I never realized that it would be shaped like that: decidedly narrower on the bottom. I really like that, actually. Again, many of you reading this probably knew that already, but it was a surprise to me.

Now for the size. I know that the product page explains, "The Small size [shop bag] is designed to be roughly the size of a plastic grocery shopping bag," but that didn't really help me envision the size since, well, I never carry a plastic grocery bag over my shoulder, you know? So this unflattering pic of me with it slung over my shoulder may help someone imagine the size [NOTE: I am a woman, 6'0" tall, narrow-ish build but carrying postpartum weight, so maybe.... 175 pounds or so? (I really don't know.)]:

Your Photos Are Needed-20160407_213106-jpg

And for help imagining the size, here are some common around-the-house things that might help. What, you don't have a Merriam Webster's handy at all times??

One roll of toilet tissue. By the way, the color looks like it was captured well in this pic!
    Your Photos Are Needed-20160407_213528-jpg

One box of Cheerios.
    Your Photos Are Needed-20160407_213359-jpg

One dictionary. And kind of Christmas-y with the colors.
    Your Photos Are Needed-20160407_213612-jpg

Saying hello to my Black/Iberian Side Effect.
    Your Photos Are Needed-20160407_215148-jpg

Saying hello to some of the gang (not pictured: my Aeronaut or Tristar).
    Your Photos Are Needed-20160407_215651-jpg

I hope that helps someone imagine the size! I have NEVER posted something like this before, but I have benefited a million times from other people posting pictures like this. Apologies for the quality and the huge size of the pics. Still learning. Thanks for your patience with me!

*I like the Sitka color, but I'm not totally gaga about it and I think I need a packing shoulder bag so I'm trading. But I think I'm going to buy another shop bag because it does seem useful and it is VERY VERY pretty. Much prettier than the totes I usually use for groceries or library books. But do I even want to use such a pretty bag for groceries which can get kind of gross and dirty? Again, this is a matter for a different thread.
    I agree, that TP color seems pretty true to life!

I seldom use shop bags for groceries. I need the plastic grocery bags for wrapping my mom's adult diapers. (in most other areas I reuse, such as always having a coffee travel mug and a water container with me). but, the shop bags are great library and beach bags, and can be used for diaper bags, etc.

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But do I even want to use such a pretty bag for groceries which can get kind of gross and dirty?.
    Great post! The shop bags are super easy to clean so go for it as a grocery bag. I will usually put meat/fish in the pockets and I just clean them up with some spray and a cloth. Fair warning though, once you go there, you will want a whole set. I prefer the large size for big shopping trips but always keep a selection of large and small in my car, as well as a small one in most of my bags.

Forum Member
    San Antonio, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha ha @marytattoo. Good one. Yes, that toilet paper is very true-to-life, color-wise. So is the Sitka bag!

Thanks for reminder, @Pokilani. It probably is the kinda thing that once I break the seal, I'll want many, many, many shop bags. The bag was quite a bit nicer than I thought it would be, but I don't know why I was surprised.

You guys rock.

Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that helps someone imagine the size! I have NEVER posted something like this before, but I have benefited a million times from other people posting pictures like this.
    This is my favorite type of post. To have something to compare to is the best. I was surpriced that the small shop bag was THAT small when I bought my first one. Pictures like this helps a lot.
    Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . ."-C.S. Lewis

Forum Member
    San Antonio, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBute View Post
    This is my favorite type of post. To have something to compare to is the best. I was surpriced that the small shop bag was THAT small when I bought my first one. Pictures like this helps a lot.
    Aw, thanks for that. I am (uncharacteristically) shy and nervous posting on the TB forums since I'm new around here and so many people post such fun/insightful/helpful/extensive/descriptive/hilarious posts. So I'm glad I'm doing it "right", @LordBute! Fistbump from San Antonio to Sweden coming your way!

BTW, over the weekend my husband said, "So is this Tom Bihn forums thing your new hobby?"

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aw, thanks for that. I am (uncharacteristically) shy and nervous posting on the TB forums since I'm new around here and so many people post such fun/insightful/helpful/extensive/descriptive/hilarious posts. So I'm glad I'm doing it "right", @LordBute! Fistbump from San Antonio to Sweden coming your way!

BTW, over the weekend my husband said, "So is this Tom Bihn forums thing your new hobby?"
    Don't be shy! We love to hear about what people think of their bags. And pictures! We love pictures!!!

Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'm glad I'm doing it "right", @LordBute! Fistbump from San Antonio to Sweden coming your way!

I don't think there is a way of doing it "wrong". And It's a good hobby.
    Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . ."-C.S. Lewis

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a great hobby! And love your collection of bags particularly the indigo (?) synapse and solar something! Shop bags are SO incredibly useful for so many things. I love them for shopping (groceries or errands), car trips and outings when the colours help knowing what is where (eg the towels are in the blue bag), and camping for the same reason.

If you returned your shopping bag, you may not have tried filling it. They are so much better than you expect when loading groceries in. It isn't just the bottles in the pockets that is obvious, but also the little packets of herbs in the side pockets, or the fragile wrapped fish standing upright in them, or the asparagus... Etc

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But do I even want to use such a pretty bag for groceries which can get kind of gross and dirty?
    A resounding yes! Ever since I got my shop bags (2 small, 2 large), I've retired the use of almost all of my canvas tote bags. I like how I can fold up the shop bag into its own pouch by turning a pocket inside out and shoving it all in. Both my large shop bags are fully recruited for duty during CSA season. They are durable and light and easy to carry. I still use recycled plastic bags to separate very wet produce before they all go into the shop bags. I don't care if they get dirty (and yes, icky liquids have spilled in them) because I can hand wash in the sink or a bucket and hang them up to dry. They dry very quickly. I'm heavy-handed with my bags so the most used ones don't look pristine anymore, but quality has held up perfectly. No regrets!

Forum Member
    San Antonio, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, fine, you convinced me.

I'm buying another shop bag.

@Kirri and @Ginkgo, you'll need to explain to my family why we can't afford daycare in May. You people, with your convincing ways. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    How is it for maneuverability? My husband and I have a huge 16-foot fiberglass canoe that we love, but I'm not getting any younger, and that sucker is HEAVY!
    I got the Oru Bay last year when it was on sale and I have found that it tracks pretty well. They just released a new model called Beach that is slightly wider with a larger opening that is supposed to be even more stable plus faster to put together. There is a bit of a break in period and it gets easier to assemble each time you do it.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sooooooo, there was a delivery of some new colored paracord today, and a long boring meeting. . . .which resulted in a custom braided wrist strap for my new Steel/UV Side Effect. For now I cannibalized a clip from the SE 5/8 strap, because I have a different shoulder strap to use. Long term, I'll probably get around to making a custom shoulder strap as well, once I figure out a better way to close off the unfinished end.

This is a 4-strand braid, using 2 lengths of 2 colors about 1ft long each:

Your Photos Are Needed-se-wrist-strap-jpg

Your Photos Are Needed-se-wrist-strap-jpg

And after my long boring meeting, I needed to spend some time re-packing my Maker's Bag for tomorrow. But first since everything was scattered around anyway, I finally got around to photos of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag as Camera bag, using a Jill-E E-Go camera insert:

Your Photos Are Needed-pcsb-camera-bag-jpg

Your Photos Are Needed-pcsb-camera-bag-1-jpg

And my beautiful new Aubersky Swift, holding the PCSB Camera bag, Steel/UV SE, UV stuff sack for little snacks & such, and water bottle, as it would be typically packed for a road trip (test pack for Mother's Day) :

Your Photos Are Needed-traveling-swift-jpg
    Rambling On. . . . .

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your Photos Are Needed

Lambert International, en route to Reykjavik.

Packing list &c. to follow. Like tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 87 of 188 FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 89 97 137 187 ... LastLast