Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 28 of 28
  1. #16
    Forum Member Ca1i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Share
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I hope that you find a good purpose for your yurt decorations!
    Me too. Now I just have to find the perfect yurt. ;-)

  2. #17
    Forum Member Orangeboys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Share
    Northern CA
    Posts
    271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca1i View Post
    But here is what *I* couldn't believe: Somehow all my purchases fit into the A30 on the way home. Embroideries, scarves, yurt decorations (doesn't everyone need these?), 12 pairs of scissors, jewelry, several miniature paintings, loads of candies...can't even remember what else. It all fit.
    How did you get twelve pairs of scissors past security? That's one thing I have wondered about no-check strategies. What if you really want to take a multi-tool or a knife? Or twelve pairs of scissors??

  3. #18
    Forum Member Ca1i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Share
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangeboys View Post
    How did you get twelve pairs of scissors past security? That's one thing I have wondered about no-check strategies. What if you really want to take a multi-tool or a knife? Or twelve pairs of scissors??
    I *knew* someone here would catch me on that one! I sacrificed carry-on only travel to get the scissors back as presents to friends. Plus I also purchased a couple of knives (those guys in Bukhara do great work), so I knew I was doomed to doing a check in on the way back.

    The A30 dyneema did wonderfully well being checked from Ashkabad all the way back to California. No worse for wear...although I did worry about it a bit. And I survived with using the small sportsac as my carry on. I never needed the eagle creek bag I packed.

    Sometimes you have to swallow your one-bag travel pride and be flexible ;-)
    Last edited by Ca1i; 12-19-2014 at 11:28 AM.

  4. #19
    Forum Member taminca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Share
    California
    Posts
    777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the thorough review, @bchaplin. I made a half-hearted attempt with the A30 and decided it wasn't for me -- and it was even in my beloved Aubergine! Your review has led me to give the A30 another try. I usually go with a TS-CP combo for my week-long trips but the TS does get heavy (because I tend overload it) and my WF is the rolling bag version. Am looking forward to lighter packing (or at least attempting to) with an A30.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

  5. #20
    Forum Member Orangeboys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Share
    Northern CA
    Posts
    271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca1i View Post
    The A30 dyneema did wonderfully well being checked from Ashkabad all the way back to California. No worse for wear...although I did worry about it a bit. And I survived with using the small sportsac as my carry on. I never needed the eagle creek bag I packed.

    Sometimes you have to swallow your one-bag travel pride and be flexible ;-)
    I'm really happy to hear that the A30 came through the baggage handling system so well. That's reassuring because sometimes I do over-shop at my destination (fancy that).

  6. #21
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread bchaplin. I found it very helpful in deciding what bags to get.
    In hindsight, do you think the A45 would've been a better bag than the A30?
    It seems you had 2 every day carry bags but preferred the Daylight backpack over the Pilot?

    As a recent convert and first time TB buyer, I've decided to order the A45, Co-Pilot, Side Effect and maybe a Packing Cube Backpack. My plan was to only get an A45 but I can see the logic behind having a good day bag.

  7. #22
    Forum Member bchaplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,049
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thoughts on the Aeronaut 30, Daylight Backpack, and Pilot

    Hi @noodles,

    In hindsight, for me, I still think the A30 was the best choice. I should have packed lighter so as to leave some free space for souvenirs.

    The choice between the A30 and A45 really depends on your height, IMO. I am 5'2".

    I did like the Daylight Backpack for daily touring. Any similarly lightweight bag, just large enough for a sweater or jacket, would have been fine. My ballistic Pilot was just a tiny bit too heavy for walking around all day with (again, for me). A Co-Pilot might have been ok.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 12-30-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

  8. #23
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Share
    Southern California
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    The choice between the A30 and A45 really depends on your height, IMO. I am 5'2".
    i love my a30 but am thinking about buying an a45 and giving the a30 to my girlfriend (that's how i'm justifying the a45 at this point...). i'm 6'2".

  9. #24
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Share
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casun View Post
    i love my a30 but am thinking about buying an a45 and giving the a30 to my girlfriend (that's how i'm justifying the a45 at this point...). i'm 6'2".
    I'm 5'10", but I'm about to downsize from an Aeronaut 45 to an Aeronaut 30. I usually have a good amount of extra space in my Aeronaut, and I'd prefer to travel with a more nimble bag.

    My primary travel bags lately have been a Synapse 25 and an Aeronaut 45 carried by the Absolute Shoulder Strap. I'm transitioning to an Aeronaut 30 (worn as a backpack) and a Pilot. I log a lot of steps on my travel days, and I expect the smaller bags to be much easier to carry thru airports and city streets.
    Aeronaut (Original in Hunter Green), Aeronaut 30 (Forest), Smart Alec (Hunter Green), Pilot (Forest), Co-Pilot (Coyote), Synapse 25 (Black Dyneema), Two Large Shop Bags (Iberian and Steel), Passport Pouch (Iberian), Two Travel Trays (Solar stays in the Aeronaut, Iberian stays home), more than a dozen accessories.

  10. #25
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casun View Post
    i love my a30 but am thinking about buying an a45 and giving the a30 to my girlfriend (that's how i'm justifying the a45 at this point...). i'm 6'2".
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ Nemeth View Post
    I'm 5'10", but I'm about to downsize from an Aeronaut 45 to an Aeronaut 30. I usually have a good amount of extra space in my Aeronaut, and I'd prefer to travel with a more nimble bag.

    My primary travel bags lately have been a Synapse 25 and an Aeronaut 45 carried by the Absolute Shoulder Strap. I'm transitioning to an Aeronaut 30 (worn as a backpack) and a Pilot. I log a lot of steps on my travel days, and I expect the smaller bags to be much easier to carry thru airports and city streets.
    The choice between the A30 and A45 is a tough one.
    I'm 5'10" so the A45 isn't a problem but I like the idea of a smaller bag which is more nimble and easier to carry around. If they had an A35 (35 litre) I'd buy it. The difference between the A30 and A45 is 50% extra volume so it's a significant size difference.

  11. #26
    Forum Member Orangeboys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Share
    Northern CA
    Posts
    271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    The choice between the A30 and A45 is a tough one.
    I'm 5'10" so the A45 isn't a problem but I like the idea of a smaller bag which is more nimble and easier to carry around. If they had an A35 (35 litre) I'd buy it. The difference between the A30 and A45 is 50% extra volume so it's a significant size difference.
    HA! Can you imagine the threads devoted to A30 vs. A35???;)

  12. #27
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bchaplin: hoping you are reading this--since you are just a bit taller than I am--:) I am wondering if you can post a detailed list of the clothes you took? and other stuff in your A30? or message me? I am not having an easy time packing all I want into the A30--and I really like it. I wear mostly petite Medium sizes; and my shoe size is 7 1/2. thank you.

  13. #28
    Forum Member Pokilani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Share
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,322
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Shiva, here's a post for a summer trip I took. I didn't have a PCSB then.

    http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vid...n-no-more.html


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •