Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a new laptop today with an 11.6" screen and SSD. Since it's much smaller and lighter than my old 13" brick, it's opened up a whole bunch of possibilities for EDC because I suddenly have so much free space in all the bags used to haul my laptop. Am really excited about carrying my 'purse stuff' and class materials in the same bag, which I was not able to do before unless I was using a S25. My Ego has been waiting for this very moment for a long, long time, as has my PU.

The good news is that it fits very nicely into the PU (so it goes without saying there will be tonnes of leftover space in the Ego with the same load). Even with the power brick and mini mouse. Here are some packing photos to show how the PU is a perfectly viable laptop work bag with a small-enough machine.

Max load:
    Uses of the Parental Unit-fullsizerender-jpg

How I packed the stuff:
    Uses of the Parental Unit-img_9983-jpg

Zipped up nicely, with my Ego: (love you, Kiwi stripe)
    Uses of the Parental Unit-img_9984-jpg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    I just got a new laptop today with an 11.6" screen and SSD. Since it's much smaller and lighter than my old 13" brick, it's opened up a whole bunch of possibilities for EDC because I suddenly have so much free space in all the bags used to haul my laptop. Am really excited about carrying my 'purse stuff' and class materials in the same bag, which I was not able to do before unless I was using a S25. My Ego has been waiting for this very moment for a long, long time, as has my PU.

The good news is that it fits very nicely into the PU (so it goes without saying there will be tonnes of leftover space in the Ego with the same load). Even with the power brick and mini mouse. Here are some packing photos to show how the PU is a perfectly viable laptop work bag with a small-enough machine.

Max load:
    Uses of the Parental Unit-fullsizerender-jpg

How I packed the stuff:
    Uses of the Parental Unit-img_9983-jpg

Zipped up nicely, with my Ego: (love you, Kiwi stripe)
    Uses of the Parental Unit-img_9984-jpg
    Are your laptop and FJ inside the PU? the steel doesn't show up well.

Also, where did you get your "pen roll"?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    Are your laptop and FJ inside the PU? the steel doesn't show up well.

Also, where did you get your "pen roll"?

Yup, they're inside. There is a small space left that might be able to accommodate a 200D SSB, but I haven't tried yet.

I got the pen roll here. I like it a lot... because it's a roll sewn into the pencil case, there is room for putting non-FP stationery in the pencil case part. I have my favourite budget ballpoints, felt-tipped drawing pens, and a couple of pencils in the case. My only, slight regret is that I got it in the Mandarin/Bluejay colourway because ink stains show on the blue fabric. (FYI, the 'Mandarin' cordura is basically Orange 152. I compared the colours and they are pretty much identical.)

They sell out quite fast, so if you're interested I'm happy to answer questions about it or take pics to help you decide either way.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, they're inside. There is a small space left that might be able to accommodate a 200D SSB, but I haven't tried yet.

I got the pen roll here. I like it a lot... because it's a roll sewn into the pencil case, there is room for putting non-FP stationery in the pencil case part. I have my favourite budget ballpoints, felt-tipped drawing pens, and a couple of pencils in the case. My only, slight regret is that I got it in the Mandarin/Bluejay colourway because ink stains show on the blue fabric. (FYI, the 'Mandarin' cordura is basically Orange 152. I compared the colours and they are pretty much identical.)

They sell out quite fast, so if you're interested I'm happy to answer questions about it or take pics to help you decide either way.
    I'm going to seriously consider them!

North of the TB Mothership
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wonder if that would hold knitting needles...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think this has been posted yet, but the MBFS fits nicely into the PU. Poor PU-- I think it's an underrated bag.

Uses of the Parental Unit-imageuploadedbytapatalk1450488428-057046-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mid-Atlantic
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think this has been posted yet, but the MBFS fits nicely into the PU. Poor PU-- I think it's an underrated bag.
    I concur that this is an underrated bag. I wound up getting rid of mine because the main compartment couldn't accommodate my laptop or the notebooks I wanted to take with me. Being able to carry my writing gear is a must for any bag that wants to earns a place in my EDC rotation. The main compartment was simply too small for that. I realise the PU was created with baby gear in mind, though. I can't be faulted for wanting it to work. It was a lovely bag and maybe someday I'll adopt another. :)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyleo View Post
    I concur that this is an underrated bag. I wound up getting rid of mine because the main compartment couldn't accommodate my laptop or the notebooks I wanted to take with me. Being able to carry my writing gear is a must for any bag that wants to earns a place in my EDC rotation. The main compartment was simply too small for that. I realise the PU was created with baby gear in mind, though. I can't be faulted for wanting it to work. It was a lovely bag and maybe someday I'll adopt another. :)
    Yeah, totally. The reason mine get a fair bit of use is that I use it as a purse substitute. Generally, I dislike "handbags" that look like handbags (except the LS), so bags like the MB and PU get used a lot even when I don't have a computer to lug about. It's a pity that it's not a smidge longer, because IMO it looks better than the MB and is just so cleverly designed.

Those must be some notebooks you have! I've generally done OK with even A4 papers in the PU, but it wasn't like I had a thick pile of them...
    Last edited by adalangdon; 12-19-2015 at 01:38 AM.

Mid-Atlantic
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those must be some notebooks you have! I've generally done OK with even A4 papers in the PU, but it wasn't like I had a thick pile of them...
    I can't help it--I love all different kinds of notebooks/writing pads and tend to carry more than one. That main compartment is just too narrow/small to accommodate the volume of paper/books I tend to carry. Though the PU would work beautifully as a purse and one day I'll get another. :) Right now I just don't have room or finances to allow for bags I'm not using regularly. I also wish the bag was a bit longer. Maybe someday the TB crew will revise the design....? :D

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviving this thread because I happily stumbled on it while trying to decide between the PU and the Co-pilot.

I think I need a Parental Unit.

And a Co-pilot.

(sigh)
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been struggling to decide between the PU and Pop Tote for months. My preference for a cross-body bag that zips closed and finding this thread with so many pics in non-diaper bag mode has completely won me over. I think this will be a more versatile carry than the Pop Tote for my needs, and I can get over it if someone in my family will soon be using a PU as a diaper bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10