Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW this is the first TB bag I've received without a small pouch of cord zipper pulls (black and red) with plastic TB tab pulls. Perhaps that is standard now that they are sold as accessories? Not a big deal, but thought I'd mention it.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Puget Sound region
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Wow! @taminca, I have so missed your fantastic photo reviews!

moriond
    I wish we had an ADORE button.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @taminca, Really, really great reviews -- not just because of the great pictures, but because you do such a good job of envisioning the alternate usage scenarios and how to implement them. I'm curious about the strap selection, because I think both @Janine and @nsh used the PU with the Q-AM strap. Now, as I commented in the thread about the November 28th debut of the Parental Unit and accessories, I was so fixed on getting that bag and the small cafe bags in limited edition colors ordered (not to mention new keystraps and cord pulls), that I neglected to specify a strap. I actually have an extra Absolute Strap with webbing ends, because I switched over my second Imago from this to a Q-AM strap. I'd be curious whether people can offer strap usage comparisons. I know @Janine is familiar with both Q-AM and Absolute straps on the Imago. The main reason I switched to the Q-AM strap on the Imago is that it's easier to swing the bag around to access contents. I'm not using it mainly to carry the bag high up on my back. The long, padded Q-AM handles the weight distribution well, but the nylon surface along the strap makes it easier to swing the bag around, while the grippy underside of the Absolute strap makes this harder.

I'd love to hear opinions from anyone using the P.U. With easier strap. I was figuring that I'd try transferring the Q-AM strap from one of my Imagos to try out when my P.U, gets here later this week.

moriond

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @taminca, great pictures, and so very helpful!! Your "as a camera bag" pictures are making me even more impatient for my Steel/UV PU to ship, because that's exactly how I intend to use it and it looks like a great fit.
    Rambling On. . . . .

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great @taminca! I kept wondering over the last few days if someone would post a usage of the PU as a gym bag, and you did! The pics are very helpful - thank you!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um... wow. Nothing meaningful to add to the chorus of praise--but you really ARE a mighty enabler, @taminca! Now I'm wondering if this might be yet another option for a heavier day EDC bag. I do carry a number of pouches and small, bulky things after all. And 10 O-rings is *a lot*. Enough for a compulsive pouch-carrier like myself who feels the need to hook them onto something. Does anyone know if a large OP will fit into the main compartment? (I sort of hope it doesn't. My wallet will be safe from the boat bag then)

This is the problem. You see something, it looks like it might kind of, sort of fit your needs somehow but you're quite on the fence, but are persuaded to buy it after realising how well thought-out it is. My "issue" with TB bags is really that they're very clever and good-looking (great colours does NOT help for sure), so much so that it's really tempting to buy something just because it, as an object, is so awesome. (As opposed to actually fulfilling a need.)
    Last edited by adalangdon; 12-02-2014 at 07:58 PM.

California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For @Meglet and @blackbird

...who wanted to see the PU packed with "a 13-inch MBP, a notebook and pens, an SE, and a camera, without extra lenses? And maybe also a mini tripod, a water bottle, and snacks?"

First is a photo of the PU with the items requested, with these notes:

1. The black case next to the water bottle contains a pair of Nikon binoculars in its case instead of a camera (which I assume is NOT an SLR but a compact, which I had to use in order to take these photos). It's at least the size of a compact camera, I believe.

2. I do not have a TB cache for my MBP so pictured is a WaterField MacBook Sleeve, very well padded

3. For a mini tripod, I used a GorillaPod.

4. Snacks are, of course, 3 Larabars.

5. Side Effect contains my usual personal stuff in 2 OPs and a Clear Organizer Wallet.

Uses of the Parental Unit-p1030036-jpg

The iPhone goes into outer small pocket. And in the front compartment's left and right pockets are my usual stuff from earlier photos posted. Into the middle front compartment pocket, I put the binoculars case (aka compact camera substitute) and, on top of that, a Clear OP with the 3 Larabars. (BTW the Larabar on top is Pumpkin Pie -- very delicious!)

Uses of the Parental Unit-p1030038-jpg

In the main compartment are the 13-inch MBP in its WaterField Sleeve and a notebook with pen attached. BTW, I also have a small Fisher Space Pen in a Pocket Pouch in the right pocket of the front compartment.

Uses of the Parental Unit-p1030046-jpg

And in the back compartment are from left to right, the water bottle, Side Effect and GorillaPod.

Uses of the Parental Unit-p1030058-jpg

Here is a view from the top withe the three compartments open. Sorry, but I could not get a good angle to show the contents of the front compartment.

Uses of the Parental Unit-p1030056-jpg

And, finally, view of the PU all packed and zipped with contents shown.

Uses of the Parental Unit-p1030061-jpg

Note that it was a tight squeeze to get the MBP in its well-padded WF sleeve into the PU's middle compartment. The zippered opening is a little shorter than the the MBP's length. It definitely fits, quite snugly, but if I had to carry my MBP around, I'd probably use a Pilot. In a pinch, though, it would fit in the PU... although, I might try a less padded sleeve.

Hope this helps.
    -- David Whyte

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooooh, that 13" MBP fits rather nicely in the PU, and since my next trip will consist of removing the MBP from the bag only once or twice per day then using it all day, the slight squeeze to get it in & out would not be a big deal. Now I *really* hope my PU gets here before my trip so I have that option if I want.

In my case, though, I did mean a dSLR, although I had no expectation of fitting both the MBP & the dSLR together (just a dream.) Which is why I may end up taking my non-TB shoulder bag, as it holds both.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Northeast US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @taminca, you are the absolute best!!! And you've just solidified how perfect a PU would be as my EDC. Thank you bunches and bunches!!
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meglet View Post
    In my case, though, I did mean a dSLR, although I had no expectation of fitting both the MBP & the dSLR together (just a dream.) Which is why I may end up taking my non-TB shoulder bag, as it holds both.
    Hmm... I took out the binoculars case and bag of Larabars and was able to put my Nikon D3200 SLR body and 18-55mm lens into that middle front compartment, detached and with the SLR body in first and then the lens on top in small TSS. Not sure, though, if I would be comfortable carrying my camera around like that. Perhaps if I wrap both parts first in some bubble wrap? But then, they probably won't fit.

ETA: The wonderful thing about the PU (as with all TB bags) is its versatility. I'll bet that after "playing" with yours, you'll find a way to fit both in. Please do come back and let us know :)
    Last edited by taminca; 12-02-2014 at 08:37 PM.
    -- David Whyte

Northern CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaaaaaaauggghhhhhh! I was thinking I could hold out against the PU. But. Resistance is SLIPPING....

@taminca thank you so much (I think) for all your dazzling work.

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I have seen this is the perfect EDC for me as a primary school teacher. I've placed an order for a verde/uv PU but sad to say, I'll have to wait for delivery as my husband has a Cache on backorder and we need to combine postage to save on cost of delivery to Australia. That means waiting until the end of January!
    For those who already have the PU, is the standard strap sufficient for everyday use, or would you advise on an upgrade to the Absolute - I'm assuming that my absolute strap with clips won't work with the PU?

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    taminca that was a very nice wake up today: so many pictures, so many suggestions of usage! I nearly came too late to work because I had to read and look first.
    You made a great case for the Pu as a multi-purpose bag! AND you have it in "my" colors. Cant wait till Friday, so hope the PU will be in the box. After some thought I asked to ship as available because of the Christmas Gift for my husband that I included in that order. But as was mentioned before: this bag is just something I want to have not anything I can't do without (till it's here that is). I love the picture last posted by moriond "Let's buy all the bags".

Thank you so much!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toaster cosy?
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    Toaster cosy?
    Love your persistence, Frank II.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast