Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That's amazing! I loved the part about how carefully you cleaned it off, later. Dyneema is amazing, I love the stuff. I just can't seem to wear mine out, although I haven't tried this! (And hopefully never will!)

I'm amused and glad to find that I'm not the only one who wanted to hug their Nordic Dyneema bag(s) while reading this story. :)
    So much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

Forum Member
    Denver, CO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Among my three custom made McHale mountaineering packs, I've got an early Dyneema made one ten plus years ago.

The pack has been on over 300 higher altitude summits, extended day hikes, snowshoe and hard core backcountry excursions.

Not one single rip or tear! Zero!

Dyneema is one very strong and durable fabric.

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's a great story. Gives me much more confidence that I can place my TB items in Dyneema anywhere and not have to worry (so much) about abrasions and tears/rips. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ran onto a freeway --- to save a bag?!

And then you wrote it was Nordic dyneema, and I understood.

We are strange people we Bihnnites!

Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    I know that ballistic nylon is the gold standard for travel bags that will get hard use, so that's what our main Tristar/WF stash is made of. But I did buy a Nordic Dyneema WF as an impulse purchase at the TB store once--it was so pretty and light that I could not resist its siren call. But I did worry a bit that it might be less robust than desirable in a travel bag, so I resolved to be careful and baby it a bit.

Well, no more.

Earlier this week, I had packed out little car tightly with stuff, so that the Dyneema WF was bungeed in on our roof rack. Apparently, my bungee skills leave something to desire, or the Dyneema is slippery enough to escape its bonds, because just as I hit the freeway onramp, I heard a loud bump on my trunk lid, and to my horror, saw the WF bounce off the back of my car and into the road, where it was smacked by the car behind me. I pulled over as soon as I could, and ran back along the shoulder to see if I could retrieve it. (I know, probably not the safest course, but it was NORDIC DYNEEMA!)

I can't say how many cars hit it or ran over it, but there were black marks all over one side, and one end of it was completely crushed. As was I--my precious Nordic WF looked to be ruined.

How wrong I was! When I got home yesterday, I lathered up all the tire marks and dirt liberally with Goop (an automotive hand cleaner that it good for greasy stains), and went over the marks gently with a soft toothbrush. Then I filled the bathtub with warm water and dish detergent, and scrubbed it all over with a face cloth. And all but one of the marks came off, and after a close inspection this morning of the now-dry WF, I can only see one tiny area of maybe-imagined abrasion. So it's not exactly good as new, but you'd have to look hard to see any problems with it. I choose to consider the remaining faint tire mark a patina which give it character.

Most of the things inside were completely protected. My liquids and gels bag that I tucked in even though I wasn't flying got squashed and I got shampoo and hand lotion over my pajamas. No problem after a wash. But my travel tray is toast, the only real casualty of the incident. (Luckily I have two backups, but I will put a replacement on my Christmas list...)

So--bottom line. Dyneema may not be as abrasion-resistant as ballistic nylon, but it is one tough fabric. I hope never to repeat this experiment, and I certainly do not suggest you try this at home, but it does suggest that babying the Dyneema WF is unnecessary.
    Last edited by meekasmom; 12-09-2014 at 07:59 AM.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom View Post
    Ran onto a freeway --- to save a bag?!

And then you wrote it was Nordic dyneema, and I understood.

We are strange people we Bihnnites!
    I nearly spilled my tea because I had to laugh. SO TRUE!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *hugs you and your Nordic gently*

As a fellow Bihnion, I totally get it!! BUT - as a mom, I have to say "you did what?? Ran where - to save a bag??" (yes, I know, Nordic! :))

I hope you never again have to resort to such an extreme rescue! :)

Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I discovered Tom Bihn too late for Nordic. But just but seeing the pictures of Nordic, I get it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep looking for Nordic here on the forum or ebay

Items do appear now and then. I respect TB's business and it's certainly his decision but in my humble opinion, discontinuing nordic outer dyneema as a big mistake. The Nordic blue color is AMAZING. Blue, then purple, then blue again. I love the items I have found. I came late to the party on Nordic too but it can happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2