Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you've ever worried about abrasion and Dyneema, read on...

I know that ballistic nylon is the gold standard for travel bags that will get hard use, so that's what our main Tristar/WF stash is made of. But I did buy a Nordic Dyneema WF as an impulse purchase at the TB store once--it was so pretty and light that I could not resist its siren call. But I did worry a bit that it might be less robust than desirable in a travel bag, so I resolved to be careful and baby it a bit.

Well, no more.

Earlier this week, I had packed out little car tightly with stuff, so that the Dyneema WF was bungeed in on our roof rack. Apparently, my bungee skills leave something to desire, or the Dyneema is slippery enough to escape its bonds, because just as I hit the freeway onramp, I heard a loud bump on my trunk lid, and to my horror, saw the WF bounce off the back of my car and into the road, where it was smacked by the car behind me. I pulled over as soon as I could, and ran back along the shoulder to see if I could retrieve it. (I know, probably not the safest course, but it was NORDIC DYNEEMA!)

I can't say how many cars hit it or ran over it, but there were black marks all over one side, and one end of it was completely crushed. As was I--my precious Nordic WF looked to be ruined.

How wrong I was! When I got home yesterday, I lathered up all the tire marks and dirt liberally with Goop (an automotive hand cleaner that it good for greasy stains), and went over the marks gently with a soft toothbrush. Then I filled the bathtub with warm water and dish detergent, and scrubbed it all over with a face cloth. And all but one of the marks came off, and after a close inspection this morning of the now-dry WF, I can only see one tiny area of maybe-imagined abrasion. So it's not exactly good as new, but you'd have to look hard to see any problems with it. I choose to consider the remaining faint tire mark a patina which give it character.

Most of the things inside were completely protected. My liquids and gels bag that I tucked in even though I wasn't flying got squashed and I got shampoo and hand lotion over my pajamas. No problem after a wash. But my travel tray is toast, the only real casualty of the incident. (Luckily I have two backups, but I will put a replacement on my Christmas list...)

So--bottom line. Dyneema may not be as abrasion-resistant as ballistic nylon, but it is one tough fabric. I hope never to repeat this experiment, and I certainly do not suggest you try this at home, but it does suggest that babying the Dyneema WF is unnecessary.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Thanks for sharing this story - so scary to imagine the bag bumping off the car - glad you and other drivers are OK too and that your bag is really none the worse for wear.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow, @flitcraft, on the one hand I feel guilty about pressing the "Like" button on such an appalling story of your poor Nordic Dyneema Western Flyer being crushed by cars, multiple times on the freeway (looks over to her Nordic Western Flyer and hugs it protectively), but what an amazingly good ending. (You'll forgive me, I know, if I don't try to duplicate your experience, and just take it as read that my Dyneema WF would come out of it.)

Thanks for reporting back on the hardiness of 400d Dyneema under traumatic "real life" situations.

moriond

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more reason to love Dyneema and wish for a new exterior color. @moriond, I wanted to hug my Nordic WF after reading this too!

@flitcraft, so glad your WF recovered from the accident (or experiment, as you call it). Whew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    How wrong I was! When I got home yesterday, I lathered up all the tire marks and dirt liberally with Goop (an automotive hand cleaner that it good for greasy stains), and went over the marks gently with a soft toothbrush. Then I filled the bathtub with warm water and dish detergent, and scrubbed it all over with a face cloth. And all but one of the marks came off, and after a close inspection this morning of the now-dry WF, I can only see one tiny area of maybe-imagined abrasion. So it's not exactly good as new, but you'd have to look hard to see any problems with it. I choose to consider the remaining faint tire mark a patina which give it character.
    I love that you gave your WF som TLC after its ordeal. Fancy it jumping off your car into traffic like that. Glad it's ok.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry this happened, but as a fellow Nordic lover I love that you worked so hard to save the bag because NORDIC.
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What compartment was the travel tray in, just out of curiosity?

I know it's ridiculous but I was flying with my dog in the cabin on Southwest the last time I adventured with my Nordic WF, and I decided to take advantage of the free checked bag because I had a connecting flight. But did I simply check the Nordic WF? Absolutely not! I put the packed Nordic WF into a rolling suitcase for its own safety. I later gave the roller bag away to family at the end of that trip.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @flitcraft, sooooo glad your NORDIC WF is okay. I would gone after it, also. Traffic be da...er...darned!

@kkintea, I absolutely LOVE that you put your NORDIC WF into a rolling suitcase for safety before checking it!!!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

By the seaside, England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    {whimper}
    (Hugs and comforts Nordic dyneema items protectively)
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Downeast Maine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a wonderful commercial/advertisment this would make for TB. Reminds me of the, very old, Samsonite commercial with the gorilla. Glad you're ok, physically and mentally after such an experience. I have to ask though, how did the WF live and yet the TT died?
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will lovingly stroke my Western Flyer in Nordic Dyneema tonight. It is my precious, my only suitcase in the Tom Bihn arsenal (although I have many other TB bags, and my Nordic Pilot could count in a pinch). I would be aghast if I experienced the trauma of that situation. I am thankful no one was injured. I'm thankful your bag will live to contain your stuff another day. And I mourn with you in the loss of your travel tray.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    I know that ballistic nylon is the gold standard for travel bags that will get hard use, so that's what our main Tristar/WF stash is made of. But I did buy a Nordic Dyneema WF as an impulse purchase at the TB store once--it was so pretty and light that I could not resist its siren call. But I did worry a bit that it might be less robust than desirable in a travel bag, so I resolved to be careful and baby it a bit.

Well, no more.

Earlier this week, I had packed out little car tightly with stuff, so that the Dyneema WF was bungeed in on our roof rack. Apparently, my bungee skills leave something to desire, or the Dyneema is slippery enough to escape its bonds, because just as I hit the freeway onramp, I heard a loud bump on my trunk lid, and to my horror, saw the WF bounce off the back of my car and into the road, where it was smacked by the car behind me. I pulled over as soon as I could, and ran back along the shoulder to see if I could retrieve it. (I know, probably not the safest course, but it was NORDIC DYNEEMA!)

I can't say how many cars hit it or ran over it, but there were black marks all over one side, and one end of it was completely crushed. As was I--my precious Nordic WF looked to be ruined.

Most of the things inside were completely protected. My liquids and gels bag that I tucked in even though I wasn't flying got squashed and I got shampoo and hand lotion over my pajamas. No problem after a wash. But my travel tray is toast, the only real casualty of the incident. (Luckily I have two backups, but I will put a replacement on my Christmas list...)

So--bottom line. Dyneema may not be as abrasion-resistant as ballistic nylon, but it is one tough fabric. I hope never to repeat this experiment, and I certainly do not suggest you try this at home, but it does suggest that babying the Dyneema WF is unnecessary.
    YIKES
    That is one heck of a story I held my breathe until the last word
    Amazing

Forum Member
    Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is an amazing story. incredible, really. can you post a photo of the "maybe imagined abrasion"? i have to see it.

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gasp! Scream! Sighs of relief! What a story! Glad the bag (and you especially after retrieving it) are still in fine shape ;)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    What compartment was the travel tray in, just out of curiosity?
    The travel tray was in one of the two half-sized compartments, and the side it was in seemed to have taken the brunt of the attack. (Figures...) The travel tray itself is fine, but the hoop inside that gives it structure is broken, so it doesn't synch down right, and I was afraid that the business end of it might poke through at some point and damage something or someone.

As for the abrasion, it's really not visible so much as "feelable"--a slightly rough or irregular-feeling patch about two inches long by maybe an inch and a half. Like I said, you have to really inspect closely to find it at all, and I suppose it's possible that it was already there before the incident and I just never noticed it. There's no noticeable breaks in the white Dyneema threads at all, so I don't think the fabric is weakened at all.

I'm in the process of repacking it this weekend for another long haul flight, and I'm so very glad that it survived!
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast