Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New S25 - thoughts and questions

Just received my Black/Steel S25 to replace an Incase Icon Slim case. Overall, I'm very impressed with the quality and functionality of the S25. It seems to swallow up my stuff and still look much slimmer than the Incase. I have a few questions for the helpful people on this forum.

1. I usually have a 13" Macbook Pro in a cache on rails and an iPad Air with smart cover in a Waterford padded slip case horizontally in the main compartment elastic-top pocket. But sometimes I just take the iPad and leave the laptop home - wondering if I should get another cache for the iPad, or if I will find it's too much bother to swap the two caches in and out of the bag. What do others do that have laptops and tablets? Does anyone use two caches at the same time? Does anyone leave an empty cache in the bag when the laptop is home or do you usually remove the cache?

2. I travel a lot internationally and I'm wondering if it's not a good idea to have a big "made in the USA" patch on the bag. Has anyone ever covered that up some way or even removed the patch? It's fine to tell me I'm too paranoid but I try to keep a low non-tourist profile when possible.

3. This is more of a comment, but I have a bit of remorse that I didn't order earlier and get the previous generation zippers. I really like the anodized black and the minimal look of the reverse zipper and would've been ok with the less durable nature. I am glad I put the cord pulls on to silence the jingling noise.

Thanks.
    Last edited by tb88; 12-16-2014 at 08:09 AM.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tb88 welcome to the Forum!

I only can say something about 2.: There are customers for Tom Bihn Products all over the world. I think having a backpack on in general does point to tourist in some regions. Where that backpack is from not so much. Due to the Internet Made in X does not mean anything in terms of where the owner is from. Might be, that there are countries in the world who are not that fond of America right now due to politics. But that was not your concern, was it? (And I am not saying anything about wrong or right here!)
    To speak for my country only: nobody would think you a tourist with a S25 and the Made in USA would not change a thing about that.

Ilkyway

PS: as for the zipper-style: maybe there is someone with the old zippers and your color-combo who would love to get the new style? Maybe you want to ask in the Swap-Thread about it?

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2. I've traveled internationally with my Synapse 25 and I don't think anyone noticed the label. No one said anything, at any rate. But if you're self conscious, maybe put some black gaff tape over it. Good thing you got a black bag!
    As for as not looking like a tourist, good luck! I get stopped for directions everywhere I go. For some reason, I must look "local" but as soon as I open my mouth, the jig is up. I get trying to blend in, but sometimes it's easier to just accept the role of visitor.

3. I have both styles of zippers. Aesthetically, I like the stealth all-black better. But the new style wears better. If you cut the pulls off, it's stealth-city. I haven't done that to my bag, because I kind of like the jangle. It sounds friendly.

Welcome to the forum! Great first post.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you try the iPad in the larger Cache? It's not going to be a perfect fit, but it might be workable. I have an iPad case that I often use for a notebook and Kindle instead; they swim in it but I don't mind.

I've heard of someone using a black Sharpie on the Made in USA part of the label. (I also recall someone using a black Sharpie on the white Dyneema lines, which worked out fairly well, I think.) I am pretty sure the photo is on the forum somewhere. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To question 1.
    I use an S19 but pretty similar. I put my iPad air with keyboard in the elastic pouch all the time without any problems.

If I'm really worried that it's going to get crushed, I'll put something soft (like socks) in the elastic pocket. Another idea is When the bottom zippered pocket is pretty full it elevates the contents in the elastic pouch.

Hope it works!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can place a smaller electronic device inside a bigger cache. Keep the cache on rail on all the time and slip the IPad Air inside it when you are not carrying your Macbook Pro.

I would get a Cache for the iPad Air in case for the time you are transporting it in the elastic pocket.

My iPad Mini is inside a padded keyboard case, but I always transport it in a Cache I bought for a netbook,
    My better half tablet is in a Padded Medium Pouch and my Hannuka Kobo e-reader found its home in another Padded Medium Pouch.

I do not travel with any electronic unprotected,

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the great responses. I think I'll stick with the iPad in it's Waterfield slip case (which is essentially a TB cache with more padding and without the flap closure) horizontally in the main compartment, rather than get two caches or switch the caches in and out. The iPad Air with smart cover and in the Waterfield case slips around too much in the 13" Macbook Pro cache. I'm guessing I'll be too lazy to remove the laptop cache when not being used unless I'm going on a long trip with just the iPad.

I'm still considering removing the outside label for a stealth look, but I'm not sure if the sewing holes will be very evident without it. There is a loose thread in one corner out of the box which makes me want to try the removal.

One more question please - I frequently carry work papers and was wondering if people use the Freudian Slip to prevent creasing, or whether there is a better alternative? I'm not sure how many sheets of paper fit in the Slip. I don't really need the pockets on the other side.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick change of mind...I ordered the cache for the iPad Air. The cache on rails is such a great design that I had to order it and will use the elastic pocket for something else. Does the Freudian Slip fit in the pocket in the main compartment? Thanks again for the help.

Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb88 View Post
    Thanks for all of the great responses. I think I'll stick with the iPad in it's Waterfield slip case (which is essentially a TB cache with more padding and without the flap closure) horizontally in the main compartment, rather than get two caches or switch the caches in and out. The iPad Air with smart cover and in the Waterfield case slips around too much in the 13" Macbook Pro cache. I'm guessing I'll be too lazy to remove the laptop cache when not being used unless I'm going on a long trip with just the iPad.

I'm still considering removing the outside label for a stealth look, but I'm not sure if the sewing holes will be very evident without it. There is a loose thread in one corner out of the box which makes me want to try the removal.

One more question please - I frequently carry work papers and was wondering if people use the Freudian Slip to prevent creasing, or whether there is a better alternative? I'm not sure how many sheets of paper fit in the Slip. I don't really need the pockets on the other side.
    I use the large COP for papers. It's a little too big, so I have to fold it, but it works and fits into the pocket. I ordered the FS but returned it because it was more organization than I needed and I thought it took up too much room. If you're not going to use the pockets, that may also be true for you. If it helps, here's a pic (actually of the S19 but should give you the idea):

New S25 - thoughts and questions-imageuploadedbytapatalk1418911507-700640-jpg

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb88 View Post
    . . . I'm still considering removing the outside label for a stealth look, but I'm not sure if the sewing holes will be very evident without it. . . .

The two small holes are inconspicuous.

When I had to carry a lot of papers, I found the Freudian Slip (in a Smart Alec) invaluable. I didn't use the pockets, but it did a bang-up job of protecting the papers.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you recommend the iPad Air cache in vertical orientation or horizontal for the S25? I thought vertical for sure, but now I'm doubting my decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brendabethman View Post
    I use the large COP for papers.]
    The same (though okay, I use a large non-clear OP most of the time because I don't want people seeing my stuff). I didn't order a FS for the same reason as @brendabethman-- more pockets than I'll ever need and too bulky.

What I do is put my papers in a plastic slip folder, then put that into the large OP. Because I usually carry a few loose sheets as opposed to notepads (which have cardboard backing), I find that something like those folders is necessary to prevent major creasing. That also lets me change OP colours when I feel like it; with this set up I don't have to worry about papers creasing in my dyneema large OP!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use both TB Freudian Slip and Large Pouches as well as all kind of plastic pocket folders with elastic or button closures in the Brain Bag.

The Freudian Slip is ideal for keeping a slim quantity of papers (think presentation) in, either a file folder, a page protector holder (like an art folio).

I usually use a Large Pocket Pouch with a plastic folder to keep paperwork inside unwrinkled.

I believe that the double fabric thickness of the Double Large Pocket Pouch doesn't warrant a plastic folder insert

If you use paper/cardstock manilla folders, or other slim folders, the Freudian Slip is really, really handy

I use both the Freudian Slip and the Large Pouches depending on circumstances.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=ilikepie;87589]The two small holes are inconspicuous.

The surgery was successful :) and you were quite right about being inconspicuous - thanks.