Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 123 of 126 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 121 122 123 124 125 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 1879
    MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    Luminary 12 for a savory pastry run at one of my favorite bakeries. Please note: due to the angle of the photo, the pastry appears much larger in scale to the bag than it was in real life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    While I appreciate the factual classification, I find myself sad that my dreams of a backpack sized savory pastry have been dashed

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today my son took his Smart Alec and a duffle bag on his 5th-grade promotion camping trip. (He is kneeling next to his two bags on the floor). I only packed the “required” items on the list for this THREE-DAY TRIP. I think armies have invaded whole countries with less stuff than he was told to take, lol.

#onetonbag #onebagforshoes #onebagforclothes

Last edited by haraya; 06-10-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Today my son took his Smart Alec and a duffle bag on his 5th-grade promotion camping trip. (He is kneeling next to his two bags on the floor). I only packed the “required” items on the list for this THREE-DAY TRIP. I think armies have invaded whole countries with less stuff than he was told to take, lol. #onetonbag #onebagforshoes #onebagforclothes

My kids aren't old enough for their school overnights yet but every year I watch the kids lining up for the two night trip with their giant wheelie suitcases.

Would you mind sharing the required items list or maybe just the most surprising items on the list?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cristina - happy to share! And hilariously, just now as I pulled it up to copy and paste for you, I noticed the caveat at the top: "this list is designed for a FIVE-DAY experience" - but my son's group is only going for three! (You would think after all these years they would have lists for three-day/two-night trips, since this happens every year.) In my defense it was a crazy week, and I only gathered everything the day before they left. So in retrospect - I would (a) start packing a couple of weeks ahead, and (b) I would have packed far fewer clothes. But, the weather was really up in the air today - they were supposed to get torrential rain for about 18 hours, and it only rained till midday. So it might still be worth it to have several changes of clothes (no time for anything to dry). - Also they sleep in "platform tents" - tent tops pitched on wooden platforms. So they won't have to sleep on wet ground.

Anyway, here is the list!!

SUGGESTED CLOTHING AND EQUIPMENT LIST

All classes are conducted outdoors, and proper clothing is essential to the enjoyment
    of the experience. This is a basic list designed for a five-day experience during any season.
    The list may require modifications based on the time of year and on your child’s length
    of stay. Please bring warmer clothing including a winter coat, boots, wool or thermal socks,
    long underwear, gloves, and a hat during the fall, winter and early spring. Also please check
    the temperature rating of your sleeping bag and bring an additional blanket for colder nights
    in the tents.

Very important items:
    1 rain suit (waterproof rain coat with hat or hood, and waterproof pants if possible)
    1 winter coat (between mid-October and mid-May)
    1 sweatshirt or jacket
    1 wool sweater or fleece jacket
    1 pair of gloves or mittens
    1 hat (sun or warmth)
    1 pair of WATERPROOF boots
    2 pairs of comfortable shoes (sneakers, hiking boots, sandals...)
    1 pair of old sneakers
    4 shirts
    3 pairs of jeans or long pants
    1 pair of shorts (even in colder months)
    4 sets of underwear
    6 pairs of socks (2 wool)
    1 pair of pajamas
    1 bathing suit (recommended for outdoor showers)
    1 towel
    1 sleeping bag or blanket roll
    flashlight
    toiletry articles
    insect repellent (cream or lotion preferred)
    plastic bag for wet clothes
    sunscreen
    water bottle

Optional items:
    laundry bag
    pillow books
    $15.00 for a camp T-shirt
    journal
    fitted twin sheet
    camera

DO NOT bring the following: (this is a MUST, for safety reasons)
    FOOD,CANDY, GUM LIGHTERS OR MATCHES
    MIRRORS(may cause fires) KNIVES
    IPODS, IPADS, ELECTRONIC GAMES CELL PHONES
    Last edited by haraya; 06-10-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cristina - happy to share! And hilariously, just now as I pulled it up to copy and paste for you, I noticed the caveat at the top: "this list is designed for a FIVE-DAY experience" - but my son's group is only going for three! (You would think after all these years they would have lists for three-day/two-night trips, since this happens every year.) In my defense it was a crazy week, and I only gathered everything the day before they left. So in retrospect - I would (a) start packing a couple of weeks ahead, and (b) I would have packed far fewer clothes. But, the weather was really up in the air today - they were supposed to get torrential rain for about 18 hours, and it only rained till midday. So it might still be worth it to have several changes of clothes (no time for anything to dry). - Also they sleep in "platform tents" - tent tops pitched on wooden platforms. So they won't have to sleep on wet ground.

All classes are conducted outdoors, and proper clothing is essential to the enjoyment
    of the experience. This is a basic list designed for a five-day experience during any season.
    The list may require modifications based on the time of year and on your child’s length
    of stay. Please bring warmer clothing including a winter coat, boots, wool or thermal socks,
    long underwear, gloves, and a hat during the fall, winter and early spring. Also please check
    the temperature rating of your sleeping bag and bring an additional blanket for colder nights
    in the tents.

Very important items:
    1 rain suit (waterproof rain coat with hat or hood, and waterproof pants if possible)
    1 sweatshirt or jacket
    1 hat (sun or warmth)
    1 pair of old sneakers
    4 shirts
    4 sets of underwear
    1 pair of pajamas
    1 towel
    flashlight
    toiletry articles
    sunscreen
    water bottle

Optional items:
    laundry bag
    pillow books
    $15.00 for a camp T-shirt
    journal
    fitted twin sheet
    camera

DO NOT bring the following: (this is a MUST, for safety reasons)
    FOOD,CANDY, GUM LIGHTERS OR MATCHES
    MIRRORS(may cause fires) KNIVES
    IPODS, IPADS, ELECTRONIC GAMES CELL PHONES
    Wow, four pairs of shoes! Thanks for sharing.

I'm sure my kids will have similar lists coming their way in a few years. I was hoping to get away with a small bag for them but a sleeping bag and several pairs of shoes will scupper that I think.

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 pair of old sneakers
    I didn't own that many shoes at that age. :D

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, he basically quadrupled his shoe collection for this camping trip! I told him not to take the tags off if he didn't use them! (applies to the rain pants, sandals, extra shoes, and boots. Actually we could not find a pair of boots in his size that wasn't $80 so I bought low-cut waterproof hiking shoes and told him to pull the cuffs of his rain pants way down over his shoes. I considered buying him gaiters but they were $35-45 so I just added another pair of socks to his pile. With four pairs of footwear I figured at least one pair should be wearable over the course of three days.)

Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    I didn't own that many shoes at that age. :D

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up a down sleeping bag at a store closing sale a few years ago and it has been great for all these camp stays and the odd sleepover. Small, light, compressible. (I even bought a liner but neither of my kids are interested in using it.). The sleeping bag actually fit into the duffle along with the shoes. (I think the duffle was an REI 45L, I'll check when he gets home.)

You should see the packing list - different camp - for a two-week stay. My daughter brought an electric fan, a mattress topper, and I think a bath mat? (These were all recommended items on the official list and it was her second year going, so she had opinions about what she needed. She brought one large suitcase, one giant duffle - actually a laundry bag with backpack straps, I want to say about 60L? - and her pillow. Such a pain to lug over dirt paths. (Oh, also this camp required all-white outfits for weekly services. - eyeroll - )

Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Wow, four pairs of shoes! Thanks for sharing.

I'm sure my kids will have similar lists coming their way in a few years. I was hoping to get away with a small bag for them but a sleeping bag and several pairs of shoes will scupper that I think.
    Last edited by haraya; 06-12-2019 at 06:30 AM.

Forum Member
    Munich, Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In which a Tri-Star plays second fiddle to local drinks at Dublin airport.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again, a picture taken on the intra-airport tram at the Minneapolis-St Paul airport with a Burnt Orange bag, but not the same one as last time--this time it's a Medium Yeoman Duffel with a Forest Zephyr and a Cloud Small Zip-Top Shop Bag. I started the day with two bags but quickly decided that even with an Absolute Strap, the YD was just too heavy for me to want to schlep it around airports, so I moved some things into the ZTSSB and checked the Yeoman. (For this trip I'm packing much heavier than usual because I have activities that need different clothing and gear.)

The Zephyr is working perfectly for me for this trip! I acquired the Zephyr recently and this is the first time I've used it. The main compartment held my laptop and CPAP along with a small Snake Charmer and a size 2 TSS, and I put my Side Kick in the front pocket along with a Q-Kit full of electronics chargers.

Where did your TB bag go lately-img_2960-jpg
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Maker’s Bag & I took a day trip to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. It held several beach towels, a sun hat, sunscreen, my water bottle, snacks, and my current knitting project.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going hand in hand with @aedifica photos, smart alec on the plane train at Atlanta.

"Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So he made it back in one piece, covered in mosquito bites, and came home an expert in the life cycle of eels! :D :D

I thought it would be interesting to see what he DID use. Herewith, the much shorter list:

Toothbrush
    2 pairs of socks
    1 pair underwear
    1 pair pajamas
    Rain jacket (but not the rain pants)
    2 pairs sneakers
    1 shirt
    Sleeping bag

So he changed his clothes once, he might've brushed his teeth, and he rotated footwear. If his bug bites are anything to go by, he did not bother to put on any bug repellent. He also said they lent them boots for wading in the creek. He won't be at this camp again, but at least I know what to expect for future camps! :D :D

(you would think with kid #2, I would know better by now!:D)

Very important items:
    1 sweatshirt or jacket
    1 hat (sun or warmth)
    1 pair of old sneakers
    4 shirts
    4 sets of underwear
    1 pair of pajamas
    1 towel
    flashlight
    toiletry articles
    sunscreen
    water bottle

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So he made it back in one piece, covered in mosquito bites, and came home an expert in the life cycle of eels! :D :D

I thought it would be interesting to see what he DID use. Herewith, the much shorter list:

Toothbrush
    2 pairs of socks
    1 pair underwear
    1 pair pajamas
    Rain jacket (but not the rain pants)
    2 pairs sneakers
    1 shirt
    Sleeping bag

So he changed his clothes once, he might've brushed his teeth, and he rotated footwear. If his bug bites are anything to go by, he did not bother to put on any bug repellent. He also said they lent them boots for wading in the creek. He won't be at this camp again, but at least I know what to expect for future camps! :D :D

(you would think with kid #2, I would know better by now!:D)
    @haraya,

I love these real life postmortems. Moms everywhere appreciate this kind of info as a reality check on what/how much to pack — even if it doesn’t gibe with the instructional packing lists you are given.

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, thanks moriond! I thought it was funny how he used so very little of what he brought with him!

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @haraya,

I love these real life postmortems. Moms everywhere appreciate this kind of info as a reality check on what/how much to pack — even if it doesn’t gibe with the instructional packing lists you are given.

moriond

Page 123 of 126 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 121 122 123 124 125 ... LastLast