Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 152 of 152 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 150 151 152
Results 2,266 to 2,276 of 2276
    Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanbre View Post
    First post, but I’ve been lurking around here for a little while. I just took my new SG33 out on its maiden voyage to the beach and wanted to share. It easily swallowed our whole picnic, a large towel, extra jackets, a water bottle, and several other miscellaneous personal items for us and for Lester (our dog). It was a joy to carry! The great thing about this bag is that it will take as little or as much as you want to pack. Happy Saturday!
    Welcome @tanbre ! and Welcome Lester :)
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've taken my A30, a Side Kick, and various other items on a trip to Queenstown. The only photo I took showing them there was the one below, on the last night. I was lucky enough to get an upgrade to a lake view room, so you can see the travel tray with Lake Wakatipu in the background.

Where did your TB bag go lately-travel-tray-jpg

With no international tourists at the moment, it was less crowded and more relaxing. I did a day trip to Milford Sound which was beautiful, and we got to see seals and penguins, plus the boat sailed right out to the Tasman Sea because it was so calm. It's something I've wanted to do for quite a while, so it was great to finally do it.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Luminary 15 got the weekend off.
    I made a return trip back to Door County to backpack Newport State Park. The 17 backcountry campsites are so popular many are reserved 7 nights a week and even a year in advance. I originally had reservations made to camp here in the spring, but the pandemic forced parks to close and cancel reservations. Later in the year, a campsite opened up when someone cancelled their plans. It was at the last minute, but it was also an opportunity to mark an item off my bucket list. I left early Saturday morning and returned home Sunday afternoon. My campsite (#4) sat no more than 20 feet from the shore of Lake Michigan, and I could look see, hear, and even touch the lake without leaving my site. Was it worth the 4-and-a-half hour drive? Absolutely, and Iíd do it again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick bday escape for a couple days to the Mendocino coast of California... car camping in the fog and then a glorious autumn day when the sun decided to come out...
    I've had a lot of work lately, so I was late leaving town and no time for optimal packing so Yeoman Duffels to the rescue! I think I had one of every size in the car - they swallow a lot of gear...no pics of these, but the small Yeoman in particular was great for my clothes/personal items in the tent

@Chicagoan has been showing off the L15 so much, I brought my Nebulous / Island one along for the ride to be my hiking daypack... to date it's only been used for urban adventures, so it was a little nervous being out in the woods but it settled down once I walked into the peace of the redwoods forest at Big Hendy SP
    :)

ETA: and the wool TB hat absolutely ROCKED with how damp, foggy, and chilly it was (I like that kind of weather but it is nice to have a warm hat when the wind is blowing wicked fierce)
    ...and I had a selection of TB masks of course

Where did your TB bag go lately-pxl_20201101_230013122-jpeg

Where did your TB bag go lately-pxl_20201101_232038603-jpeg

and here are some gratuitous peaceful pics of the Pt Cabrillo lighthouse (with rainbow) and the ocean

Where did your TB bag go lately-pxl_20201104_155229364-jpeg

Where did your TB bag go lately-pxl_20201104_160459534-jpeg

Where did your TB bag go lately-pxl_20201103_195605612-jpeg
    Last edited by G42; 11-06-2020 at 08:37 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did your TB bag go lately

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Quick bday escape for a couple days to the Mendocino coast of California... car camping in the fog and then a glorious autumn day when the sun decided to come out...
    I've had a lot of work lately, so I was late leaving town and no time for optimal packing so Yeoman Duffels to the rescue! I think I had one of every size in the car - they swallow a lot of gear...no pics of these, but the small Yeoman in particular was great for my clothes/personal items in the tent

@Chicagoan has been showing off the L15 so much, I brought my Nebulous / Island one along for the ride to be my hiking daypack... to date it's only been used for urban adventures, so it was a little nervous being out in the woods but it settled down once I walked into the peace of the redwoods forest at Big Hendy SP

Where did your TB bag go lately-pxl_20201101_230013122-jpeg

Where did your TB bag go lately-pxl_20201101_232038603-jpeg

and here are some gratuitous peaceful pics of the Pt Cabrillo lighthouse (with rainbow) and the ocean

Where did your TB bag go lately-pxl_20201104_155229364-jpeg

Where did your TB bag go lately-pxl_20201104_160459534-jpeg

Where did your TB bag go lately-pxl_20201103_195605612-jpeg
    LOVE IT. And you caught a rainbow!

I am totally down for everyone out there firing back with pictures of where their Luminary 15 has traveled and, if partly or fully responsible for this new trend, am not sorry and will fully encourage it.

Also, +1 on the YD.

Same bag I use for weekend trips (in a size medium).
    @G42 , thanks for sharing! Can I ask what you pack along for day hikes and how you organize it in your L15? Curious to hear how others keep theirs organized.

Last edited by Chicagoan; 11-06-2020 at 08:50 PM.
    Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post
    Can I ask what you pack along for day hikes and how you organize it in your L15? Curious to hear how others keep theirs organized.
    I actually normally carry an LL Bean Stowaway packable daypack for light day hiking... partly because it's packable for when I'm traveling and partly because it has exterior water bottle pockets - which I prefer in a daypack.

Conversely, one of the reasons why I like the L12 & L15 for more urban adventures is because of the slim sleek profile and lack of easy external access whilst I may be in crowds (pre-Covid times of course).

So on urban hikes, I use the integrated mesh divider UNZIPPED, to corral a water bottle or coffee Zojirushi bottle - they're leakproof but I find them easier to location & grab if they're upright.... and then I usually roll up a windbreaker or light fleece next to that. On top I may use stuff sacks or OPs or 3DOCs to carry some small items, but usually I leave that space empty for things I may pick up along the way.

The back panel zip compartment I use for any papers I may be carrying, plus my Kindle in it's case or The Economist.
    Any small items would go into the side pockets.

For this first time going on a forest hike, it was reasonably similar... in the main compartment:
    -water bottle upright in the unzipped mesh divider, pushed off to one side
    -TB FAK on end
    -pair of binocs in their case
    -fleece rolled up on top of that
    -box of sketching pencils on very top (which I didn't end up having time to use) and my sunglasses case

There was a sketch book in the back panel zip pocket and the side pockets held a headlamp, external battery, tissues, Clif bars, Matador blanket, and various other small bits & bobs...

Just like my haphazard regular packing on this trip, I didn't pay much attention to packing concisely (this was probably the most disorganized I've ever been) - which is also why I brought the 15 instead of the 12, though I didn't need all that room. It's a nice luxury to have the room if you need it though.

My ideal TB forest daypack would probably be a blend of the Smart Alec/Shadow Guide/Luminary...
    A 400d halcyon version with a SA type full zip side pocket for a water bottle (that I could leave partially unzipped for quick access) combined with a feature rich Luminary side pocket on the other side; the Luminary/SG back panel pocket for flat things, the SA bungee exterior system, and the new SG top pocket(s) setup, in a 14-20L volume, depending. Basically a big empty main compartment (tho I really do like the Luminary mesh divider w/zip) and a bit of organization in the pockets, but not as much as in the Synapses.
    I'm waiting to try out the new Shadow Guide 23L - that may be as close as I get for now.

WAY more information than you asked for, but you got me ruminating, lol
    Last edited by G42; 11-07-2020 at 08:27 AM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I actually normally carry an LL Bean Stowaway packable daypack for light day hiking... partly because it's packable for when I'm traveling and partly because it has exterior water bottle pockets - which I prefer in a daypack.

Conversely, one of the reasons why I like the L12 & L15 for more urban adventures is because of the slim sleek profile and lack of easy external access whilst I may be in crowds (pre-Covid times of course).

So on urban hikes, I use the integrated mesh divider UNZIPPED, to corral a water bottle or coffee Zojirushi bottle - they're leakproof but I find them easier to location & grab if they're upright.... and then I usually roll up a windbreaker or light fleece next to that. On top I may use stuff sacks or OPs or 3DOCs to carry some small items, but usually I leave that space empty for things I may pick up along the way.

The back panel zip compartment I use for any papers I may be carrying, plus my Kindle in it's case or The Economist.
    Any small items would go into the side pockets.

For this first time going on a forest hike, it was reasonably similar... in the main compartment:
    -water bottle upright in the unzipped mesh divider, pushed off to one side
    -TB FAK on end
    -pair of binocs in their case
    -fleece rolled up on top of that
    -box of sketching pencils on very top (which I didn't end up having time to use) and my sunglasses case

There was a sketch book in the back panel zip pocket and the side pockets held a headlamp, external battery, tissues, Clif bars, Matador blanket, and various other small bits & bobs...

Just like my haphazard regular packing on this trip, I didn't pay much attention to packing concisely (this was probably the most disorganized I've ever been) - which is also why I brought the 15 instead of the 12, though I didn't need all that room. It's a nice luxury to have the room if you need it though.

My ideal TB forest daypack would probably be a blend of the Smart Alec/Shadow Guide/Luminary...
    A 400d halcyon version with a SA type full zip side pocket for a water bottle (that I could leave partially unzipped for quick access) combined with a feature rich Luminary side pocket on the other side; the Luminary/SG back panel pocket for flat things, the SA bungee exterior system, and the new SG top pocket(s) setup, in a 14-20L volume, depending. Basically a big empty main compartment (tho I really do like the Luminary mesh divider w/zip) and a bit of organization in the pockets, but not as much as in the Synapses.
    I'm waiting to try out the new Shadow Guide 23L - that may be as close as I get for now.

WAY more information than you asked for, but you got me ruminating, lol
    Super solid reply, @G42 !

Thank you for that.

I might chime in with a breakdown of what I pack in my own when I get a little more time.

Always helpful to see how much (or not) others can fit in their packs and how they organize those items.

Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Door County, Wisconsin (@chicagoan, for real this time :)

I had to go to the Door County Pennisula and my meeting was 150 feet into Door County, so it counts. The location literally had this sign and my only TB item for this day trip was my always carried Burnt Orange Medium Double Organizer pouch. On a beautiful, mostly sunny, cool fall Wisconsin day the drive along the Lake Michigan coast on Highway 42 was scenic travel. If Chicagoan or anyone has some extra time on road trip to Door County, I recommend the scenic route of highway 42 with frequent lake views and route through the quaint towns of Algoma, Kewaunee, Two Creeks (T'creeks to locals), Two River (T'rivers), and on down to Manitowoc.

My burnt orange DOP soaking in the sun next to the Door County sign in my off center photograph.

Where did your TB bag go lately-tb-door-co-sign-jpg

No cheese curds this time, but its all gouda.

Where did your TB bag go lately-tb-gouda-jpg

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did your TB bag go lately

Yes!!!

Thanks for making good on making it back up that way, @organicfarmer .

Even when you donít have time to stop there, or stop for long, itís still a nice drive through the Door.

I was backpacking downstate last weekend and had to drive parallel along the Illinois/Indiana state line to get there. The backpacking was scenic. The drive there was not. Has me jealous of your commute!

Usually I take 57 most the way up the peninsula, logging a few miles on 42 until it splits again and 57 runs along the lake side - quieter, rustic, and far less traffic on the eastern side of the peninsula. I drove up through 42 once and through Algoma, and appreciated the chance to see more of local Door County.

Glad you had enough time to pick up some cheese, and looks like you enjoyed your time up that way. Thanks for sharing!

P.S. Does Wakker make sharp cheddar?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chicagoan; 11-12-2020 at 09:06 PM.
    Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post
    P.S. Does Wakker make sharp cheddar?
    Their store and factory located on west side of 42 just south of 29 intersection in downtown Kewaunee had probably 20 goudas and then 2 or 3 Cheddars. I think one was Sharp Cheddar. They immigrated from Holland 30 years ago to Wisconsin so keep the Dutch theme of Gouda cheese, Stroopwafels, and other Dutch things in their coffee bar too. Their dairy farm is south of town right on 42.

Everyone has their favorite type of commute. The Lake Michigan coastline makes a nice trek for sure. I have driven 41 in Indiana, south of Chicagoland for 100 miles or so and find the flat, wide open spaces relaxing. Driving through Chicago on 94 is enjoyable for me once a year at 4am and no snow. I love the skyline heading into the city from the south.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took my granddaughter (and my S22) to the Bronx Zoo today while we await her new sibling! I used the Gossamer Gear belt (thanks @Cristina ) for extra masks and my phone and had plenty of room for jackets, hats, water bottle, and snack in the Synik.

Synik 22, Truck, Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC HLT2, Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Page 152 of 152 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 150 151 152