Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 124 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My TB bags (and I) visited Charleston, SC last week.

It was an all-Dyneema excursion: the maiden voyage of my black Dyneema/Iberian Tri-Star, with my black Dyneema/Wasabi Pilot along for the ride as a day bag and my black Dyneema shop bag for overflow (Uniqlo ultralight down parka in a size 2 Ultraviolet Stuff Sack plus Iberian Travel Tray for chargers, MiFi, etc on top of spare shoes).

Could have gotten by with a lot less, but -- since it was a spur-of-the-moment trip and no flights were involved -- I didn't make much of an effort to be minimalistic.

Here they are plopped into my trunk.

Where did your TB bag go lately-tb-roadtrip-jpg

Charleston is pretty great, by the way. (I haven't stepped on the scale since returning home, but I suspect I will be working off the extra poundage I packed on at the city's excellent taprooms and restaurants for the next couple weeks.)

Here's the Pilot on a walk through Rainbow Row and The Battery:

Where did your TB bag go lately-tb-pilot-charleston-jpg

And here are both bags at the hotel prior to checkout. (Big thumbs up to The Vendue, an art-filled boutique hotel in the French Quarter housed in a collection of historic warehouses, some of which date back to the 1780s.)

Where did your TB bag go lately-tb-pilot-ts-jpg

Finally, here's the Tri-Star during a pitstop in another lovely southern city -- Savannah, GA -- on the drive home.

Where did your TB bag go lately-tb-ts-savannah-jpg

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love all the dyneema yumminess!

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even so black is not my thing I: this set looks very sharp! Great Pictures.
    Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't know why it's not possible to "like" the post by @bb83fo57, but I'll just say that's an impressive array of Black Dyneema (even without the DLBC, PCSB, and other sundry black 400d accessories we've seen in other posts). What's your relative preference for Iberian vs Wasabi as a lining? Any temptation to update to the new Black Dyneema/Iberian Pilot?

moriond

Colorado Springs
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I much prefer Wasabi to Iberian. And Steel Dyneema to Black Dyneema. But have enjoyed seeing how classy the Black looks.

Kansas City, MO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Don't know why it's not possible to "like" the post by @bb83fo57

moriond
    I think something happened with the most recent Tapatalk update as I can no longer like anyone's posts from the app.

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like option does appear to be absent on my computer view as well. But I do LIKE all that dyneema!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like option absent on computer as well.

Northeast US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's so strange!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My DLBP in lovely Burnt Orange came on a mini cold weather hike with the kids, and I couldn't even feel it on my back with my stuffed SE, two notebooks, a pen case, a first aid SOP, keys, and gum, and a spare scarf. It is my new fav! (don't let the S25 hear that--they are very different, but both very great!)

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    ... It is my new fav! (don't let the S25 hear that--they are very different, but both very great!)
    Had to laugh about this: every time the Bag-Bug bites me and I feel the arch to pack another bag I think: oh THIS one is so great! It will be my favorite from now on... Than I carry it for a while and it IS great but there are so many other great options. I honestly am so glad that at least now they all coming from one company and I keep rotating the same bags (sometimes in different colors).

Before Tom Bihn I was researching bags... than I thought: this might be it! I ordered, sometimes I liked it at first glance, most times I was disappointed because reality did not live up to my expectations. But every time the Bag-Bug bit I started the searching process again and (apart from one Bree) I never packed that bag again.

I am not saying that Tom Bihn builds the only good bags out there BUT he/they all there in Seattle involved in the process are building the bags that are the best to my taste/usage. And still I turn and turn: this one is the best... no this one is the best... it hast to be small and light... it has to be big and full of organization... it has to be big and very much flexible... and with each turn I pig up one of my bags and just KNOW they will live up to the promises they give through their designs.

Just some randome thoughts
    Ilkyway

PS: for thous who wonder what this Bag-Bug looks like. In my head it looks like that hilarious thing that last was quoted by moriond but I do not know where it origins from. That little creature that shouts out: BUY ALL THE BAGS!
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Don't know why it's not possible to "like" the post by @bb83fo57, but I'll just say that's an impressive array of Black Dyneema (even without the DLBC, PCSB, and other sundry black 400d accessories we've seen in other posts). What's your relative preference for Iberian vs Wasabi as a lining? Any temptation to update to the new Black Dyneema/Iberian Pilot?

moriond
    Thanks, @moriond.

While I was initially not smitten with Black Dyneema, I’ve obviously come around. lol (@TavaPeak: I am a big fan of Steel Dyneema, too.)

The PCSB may not be visible, but it made the trip, as well. It is inside the Pilot in these photos: the PCSB is the perfect fit for the Pilot’s main compartment or back pocket. (I used the PCSB to carry my iPad mini, a magazine, and Patagonia Houdini wind jacket whenever I wanted a small bag a little more svelte than the Pilot for short walks.)

Re: interior lining colors, that’s a tough call. My first ever TB bag had an Iberian interior, so I’ve got a soft spot for Iberian. It is dramatic and striking when paired with Black Dyneema. (I really like it as a lining fabric in Steel Ballistic bags, too.)

Wasabi may not have the same visual ‘pow!’ as Iberian, but I appreciate that it is a lighter color and more subtle. Somebody in a forum post once referred to the appeal of wasabi by referencing the French expression “jolie-laide,” and I think that hits the nail on the head. There’s an unconventional beauty about it. Wasabi may not grab me on its own, but with Black Dyneema, it is just right.

@moriond, it is funny you mention the idea of updating to a Black Dyneema/Iberian Pilot: it actually did occur to me. I enjoy having bags with different color combos, though, so I am not going to feel compelled to try to match my TS. I will stick with my Black/Wasabi Pilot and save my sous for something completely different. :-)

Colorado Springs
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like. .

GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bb93fo57 View Post
    My TB bags (and I) visited Charleston, SC last week.

It was an all-Dyneema excursion: the maiden voyage of my black Dyneema/Iberian Tri-Star, with my black Dyneema/Wasabi Pilot along for the ride as a day bag and my black Dyneema shop bag for overflow (Uniqlo ultralight down parka in a size 2 Ultraviolet Stuff Sack plus Iberian Travel Tray for chargers, MiFi, etc on top of spare shoes).
    @bb93fo57 Loved, loved to see your Black Dyneema Collection!!

I can't believe that I almost missed your post!! Thanks @moriond !! :)
    So much to catch up!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Had to laugh about this: every time the Bag-Bug bites me and I feel the arch to pack another bag I think: oh THIS one is so great! It will be my favorite from now on... Than I carry it for a while and it IS great but there are so many other great options. I honestly am so glad that at least now they all coming from one company and I keep rotating the same bags (sometimes in different colors).
    <snip>

PS: for thous who wonder what this Bag-Bug looks like. In my head it looks like that hilarious thing that last was quoted by moriond but I do not know where it origins from. That little creature that shouts out: BUY ALL THE BAGS!
    I think this is the fellow you mean:

The image was in a posted reply to @ncb4's comment about lacking restraint, in a thread about the Brain Bag issued in Burnt Orange, but the original image was posted by @GEOCycle from the middle of an even longer thread. I can't easily search for pictures when they're just linked, and not attached to individual users, so I saved that image as one of my attachments when I linked it.

HTH. The sentiment seems so appropriate to these forum discussions, it's sure to come up again!

moriond

Page 3 of 124 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast