Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Western Flyer and DLBC - Perfect 1 bag travel combination.

I haven’t posted too much, but I have mentioned before that I travel a lot for work and that I use a 1-bag method of travel with a Tri Star and DLBC combination. I have had great success with these 2 bags, but found myself wanting to optimize my setup up even further with respect to size and weight.

I found the Tri-Star in particular to have too much room for the amount of things that I consistently bring on a typical business trip. Keep in mind that I try to be as much as minimalist traveler as possible, so my typical work load may not be the same as others. Additionally I felt the extra room, coupled with the fact that I have the heaviest version of the Tri Star (Ballistic Nylon) meant that I should look elsewhere in terms of bag and materials.

The Western Flyer was an easy solution as it essentially is the same style of bag as the Tri Star and much lighter. Add on the option of Dyneema and I have found myself the perfect business travel setup. I wished I would have found this option earlier in my research, but everyone kept mentioning that the Tri Star was better suited for a business traveler as it has the middle “business” section. You can argue that having that dedicated middle section is nice, but I would argue that the extra depth of the of the 2 pockets on the Western Flyer coupled with size and weight difference make it a better option for 1 bag business traveller and should be considered more often.

I am attaching some photos that highlight how I pack each of the bags and their contents. Essentially I am packing the exact same setup as I was with the Tri Star, but more efficiently.

First off is my DLBC. I use the DLBC exclusively when going to my client’s site to hold my computer and anything else I might need. Specifically I have a 13-inch MacBook Air (in a cache on rails), including all of the chargers and dongles inside a size 1 TSS, as well as mouse and ID badge loose inside the divided pocket. I try not to carry any notebooks, paper or anything else that adds weight. There is a ton of room left over, but too me this is not wasted as this bag is extremely light and under packs very well.

When placing the DLBC inside the WF you can use either section. But I do want to point out that my filled DLBC can easily fit in the same section as a fully loaded Large WF packing cube thanks to the extra depth of each section when compared to the TS. Depending on what you carry this offers a ton of flexibility as you can stuff both of those items in the back section and still utilize the divider in the front section. On my most recent trip I kept the packing cube in the back section and the DLBC with my other contents in the front section (zippered divider undone).

DLBC inside an unzipped WF section.
    Western Flyer and DLBC - Perfect 1 bag travel combination.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1425674529-305472-jpg

My other contents on this trip included the aforementioned packing cube with 3 dress shirts, 3 undershirts and pajama pants. A size 2 TSS with a down jacket inside, a 3D organizer cube with my toiletries and an A30 TLSS which held 3 pairs of dress socks and 3 pairs of underwear. I also had an iPad Air inside the front tall zippered pocket of the WF.

Western Flyer and DLBC - Perfect 1 bag travel combination.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1425674588-957457-jpg

With my TS I typically wear my dress shoes when I travel and avoid bringing other shoes to save weight. However the WF can still hold everything I mentioned above and my size 10 dress shoes. I may continue to travel in my dress shoes but add in lightweight sneakers for the times when I do hit the hotel gym. Here is the full list from above packed up in the WF (no shoes)

Western Flyer and DLBC - Perfect 1 bag travel combination.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1425674627-379366-jpg

Finally here is photo highlighting how a fully packed WF still can pass as personal item on United.

Western Flyer and DLBC - Perfect 1 bag travel combination.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1425674676-845215-jpg

Here is the same packed bag standing upright and taking up very little room in the overhead bin.

Western Flyer and DLBC - Perfect 1 bag travel combination.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1425674690-285589-jpg

Overall the WF has provided an smaller bag that still meets my needs and weighs a lot less then the same items within the TS.

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mine in a very similar way, except my bag combo is the Western Flyer and the Pilot, both in lovely and awesome Nordic! I love packing the Pilot flat and then taking it out once I reach my destination to use as a "day bag." Great pictures, by the way!

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @milpool

Great pictures and congratulations on being able to do 5 days in a WF - impressive!
    One questions - what plane was it that you took the picture of your WF standing up in the overhead bin?

Thanks
    Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    @milpool

Great pictures and congratulations on being able to do 5 days in a WF - impressive!
    One questions - what plane was it that you took the picture of your WF standing up in the overhead bin?

Thanks
    Cheers!
    @tpnl

I should point out that this wasn't 5 days in length, but a Monday - Thursday trip where I flew out in street clothes and came back home in work clothes on Thursday night.

I am not positive but I think it was one of the newer Airbus 320's. The one with new seats that do not have the DirectTV screens.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @milpool, That was a great post, and I also liked your earlier review of the Tri-Star+DLBC combination. BTW, I think the issue for the Tri-Star vs WF for business travel includes factors like whether you need easy access to the center section while en route. This needn't just be for a laptop or personal bag. One reason that I may use the Tri-Star is whether I have to take back non-clothing items I may be handed as a result of traveling.

Here's another factor for some of the later post recommending the Tri-Star: depending on when people posted, the Western Flyer might not have been in stock at all. You asked earlier about the availability of this bag (WF) in Dyneema. Well, the first time the Western Flyer line refreshed with 400d Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet, no models of this bag had been available at all for several weeks (I think it was nearly 2 months), and before the previous line-up sold out, there were only Ballistic Nylon versions (see, for example, @jannilee's thread from 4.5 months earlier). That's partly because of the many new (other travel luggage) debuts that year that took most of the production capacity.

You were very correct not to wait for the WF to come out in 400d Black Dyneema + Iberian interior. As you can see from past history, Dyneema versions have not always been available, and they've sold out quickly. For the Western Flyer it has been quite some time since I've seen more than one Dyneema color option available at the same time (apart from when they first introduced Steel and Nordic 400d Dyneema, and were offering bags in both colors). Generally, you don't see a new color for the interior until after the first one has sold out, and they decide to refresh the line-up.

HTH

moriond

ETA: I just wanted to add that for people who want a Backpack capability as well as the Daylight Briefcase, both the Western Flyer and the Tri-Star will support stashing a Daylight Backpack in the back zippered pocket that holds the backpack straps. You can also fold up a DLBP and insert it into the back zippered pocket of a DLBC, or put a DLBC into one of the tiered pockets of the DLBP. And you can roll up an empty DLBC, too. I really like the Daylight series bags for lightweight traveling.
    Last edited by moriond; 03-06-2015 at 04:21 PM.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures, and a great combination! I appreciate the info here, because I'm going to be ordering a DLBC *any minute now* after a trip the past week when I really, really could have used one but they were out of stock. I ended up stuffing everything into an S19 + shopping bag (thank goodness this was a car trip) so I could leave packing cubes behind and take an under-packed backpack to the office with my laptop, but I really, REALLY wished for my WF + a DLBC instead.

I'm just trying to hold out til Tuesday's announcement in hopes of ordering new luggage tags with my DLBC, plus I'm still waffling a bit between Black and Gray (to go with my beloved Aubergine/Steel WF, or Gray Synapse. . . . )
    Rambling On. . . . .

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meglet View Post

I'm just trying to hold out til Tuesday's announcement in hopes of ordering new luggage tags with my DLBC, plus I'm still waffling a bit between Black and Gray (to go with my beloved Aubergine/Steel WF, or Gray Synapse. . . . )
    Meglet, please get the grey to go with your beautiful Aubergine/Steel WF! What a dream that would be.

I have the dyneema one on back order to go with my Nordic WF. I really wanted grey, but worry about abrasion to my clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @milpool, That was a great post, and I also liked your earlier review of the Tri-Star+DLBC combination. BTW, I think the issue for the Tri-Star vs WF for business travel includes factors like whether you need easy access to the center section while en route. This needn't just be for a laptop or personal bag. One reason that I may use the Tri-Star is whether I have to take back non-clothing items I may be handed as a result of traveling.

Here's another factor for some of the later post recommending the Tri-Star: depending on when people posted, the Western Flyer might not have been in stock at all. You asked earlier about the availability of this bag (WF) in Dyneema. Well, the first time the Western Flyer line refreshed with 400d Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet, no models of this bag had been available at all for several weeks (I think it was nearly 2 months), and before the previous line-up sold out, there were only Ballistic Nylon versions (see, for example, @jannilee's thread from 4.5 months earlier). That's partly because of the many new (other travel luggage) debuts that year that took most of the production capacity.

You were very correct not to wait for the WF to come out in 400d Black Dyneema + Iberian interior. As you can see from past history, Dyneema versions have not always been available, and they've sold out quickly. For the Western Flyer it has been quite some time since I've seen more than one Dyneema color option available at the same time (apart from when they first introduced Steel and Nordic 400d Dyneema, and were offering bags in both colors). Generally, you don't see a new color for the interior until after the first one has sold out, and they decide to refresh the line-up.

HTH

moriond

ETA: I just wanted to add that for people who want a Backpack capability as well as the Daylight Briefcase, both the Western Flyer and the Tri-Star will support stashing a Daylight Backpack in the back zippered pocket that holds the backpack straps. You can also fold up a DLBP and insert it into the back zippered pocket of a DLBC, or put a DLBC into one of the tiered pockets of the DLBP. And you can roll up an empty DLBC, too. I really like the Daylight series bags for lightweight traveling.
    @moriond

You are right, the Black Dyneema/UV combination was not my first choice and I was hoping for either Wasabi or Iberian. I think I was nervous the UV might be a little too purple/not masculine enough for me. However after seeing it in person I am now a very big fan of this color combination. In fact I think I favor it over anything else I have seen.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meglet View Post
    Great pictures, and a great combination! I appreciate the info here, because I'm going to be ordering a DLBC *any minute now* after a trip the past week when I really, really could have used one but they were out of stock. I ended up stuffing everything into an S19 + shopping bag (thank goodness this was a car trip) so I could leave packing cubes behind and take an under-packed backpack to the office with my laptop, but I really, REALLY wished for my WF + a DLBC instead.

@Meglet, If I want to get my order in (e.g., I'm past the stage of "waffling" about which color to get), but I also want to consolidate orders, what I'll do is go ahead and place an order through the web site, but add a note to the comment field that I want them to hold these items to ship with likely planned purchases on the product debut date. (I'll even mention which products I'm likely to be ordering then, if there's enough information to make a decision.) That way the items will ship together, but I've got my order in. If it's not a weekend, then I may call in my order with the same instructions.

Then, when I do the followup order, I'll reference the number of the order I want to consolidate with.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to add some follow up photos that highlight the addition of carrying shoes to the same packing list as my first post.

As I stated before the depth of the WF allows for you to have both the DLBC and a fully loaded large packing cube in the same section. When adding shoes i take advantage of this and move the DLBC from the front to the back as shown here:

Then when packing the front I attach the zippered divider and place my shoes (in all fabric small Tri Star cube) on one side with my 3d organizer and TLSS on the other side. Overall the the WF is not overstuffed and is not bulging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree completely! The extra .5" the WF provides over the Tri Star enables you to pack shoes and bulkier items much easier. If the Tri Star had that extra .5" on the outside pockets it would be a winner.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, my DLBC is officially on order, along with some shiny new luggage tags. I ended up going with black DLBC, even though the Gray would match my Synapses I decided I'm not a fan of the high-contrast black zippers against the light gray. Black will still match nicely with my Aubergine WF (or my almost-Aubergine rolling luggage.)
    Rambling On. . . . .

Forum Member
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this thread officially cost me $80. It is exactly the question I came here to ask. I have a WF and A30 as my main travel bags depending on the trip and I've also been carrying a Synapse 25 as my mobile office. Often times, though, I don't really need all my presentation doo-dads and dongles so I've been looking at adding a Brain Cell to my WF so I could one-bag it on shorter trips.

I think the DLBC may be an even better option so I came here to see if I would fit inside a WF and, if so, if it could share a compartment with a packing cube. Thanks for a great post with great pics. My DLBC is on the way! It will also be the first gray TB bag in my otherwise black arsenal...
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Nebulous Gray/Northwest Sky) daily carry, Original, First-Run Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) knock-around, weekend use

Special Teams/On the Bench: Daylight Briefcase (Grey), Aeronaut 30 (Black/Wasabi), Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi), Pilot (Black/Northwest Sky), Synapse 19 (Black/Iberian), Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Original Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), Ristretto (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (French Blue/Steel)

Forum Member
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just picked up my DLBC from my PO box and, as expected, it's love at first sight. I didn't realize that the Cache in my Cadet is not the same Cache that goes into the DLBC so for now it's in a Marware neoprene sleeve. I hate paying another $10 to ship a $30 thing that I should've ordered the first time...

I love the bag! It's the perfect size for what I need! I won't be flying for a few weeks, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it changes my packing with the WF or A30.
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Nebulous Gray/Northwest Sky) daily carry, Original, First-Run Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) knock-around, weekend use

Special Teams/On the Bench: Daylight Briefcase (Grey), Aeronaut 30 (Black/Wasabi), Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi), Pilot (Black/Northwest Sky), Synapse 19 (Black/Iberian), Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Original Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), Ristretto (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (French Blue/Steel)

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    One reason that I may use the Tri-Star is whether I have to take back non-clothing items I may be handed as a result of traveling.
    Unless you are on Spirit or Allegiant, just take the DLBC out and carry separately to free up space in the WF. I use the PCBP to the same effect on occasion. True, you are no longer one-bag, but it is more flexible and convenient than carrying larger bag everywhere. Might still be able to get them both under the seat, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast