Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Thanks for the nice words, everyone. For those of you wondering about the SK/D's suitability as a collectible, here are some more things I've thought of:

The Standard size could totally work in a Side-Effect like manner (as others have pointed out), or as a mini packing cube that offers color coding, as a small person's carry-on item (pockets are perfect for string cheese and Lego), an organizer for first aid supplies or the dog or what have you.

The Deluxe would be great if you wanted a little portable activity case for each kid (though the little jars do require some manual dexterity to open) or a way to transport school or craft items to the sitter or grandparents' house or to the restaurant so you can eat in peace for once.

Either size would work well for handheld gaming devices and accessories; the Deluxe has the added benefit of those jars for holding your Crackheads in handy single servings.

The best thing I've come up with so far for the Deluxe? Mobile bar. I had to try this out, and I think it's brilliant if I do say so myself. You can fit in your muddler, bottles of bitters, eye dropper (because you're that guy, right?), zester, paring knife (put it in a guard), aromatics, and other necessities, and is it merely coincidental that the jars hold a shot? I think not. I don't have a personal size shaker, but I think one could squeeze in there; also, if you are staying in a vacation rental and aren't sure what's available, a silicone ice cube tray would also fit.

So yeah, I can totally see the collecting potential here. Hope this helps [sinister cackle].
    It helps a lot! The color coding idea is genius as well as the pairing with the Daylight Backpack.

While I have been protective of my Side Effects because they can play dress up and wallets to matching Swifts as PLOs, the Spiff Kits are perfect, like all Dyneema creations, for handing out to people you see our TB goodies as just bags.

A Steel one would be perfect full of health bars snacks and string cheese.

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But where are the pictures of the mobile bar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the breadth of your ideas Badger, as Ilkway says you definitely need a shot after standing on one of those pesky Lego pieces.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Deluxe question:
    Can the Spiff Kit Deluxe hold an average sized hardcover library book? If it did, it would be my perfect work entertainment-stuff bag. I just measured my latest library book, and it's 9.5" tall and about 7" wide. It was a slightly disappointing, but I finished it, mystery.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tested a 17,5 by 24,5 cm book (sorry my brain only processes metrics), this book would not fit. It you can close the sides but the edges of the book at the top wont fit in.
    If I did the converting correctly I am sad to report: you have to get smaller books with non-disappointing content ;-).

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ilkyway! I wrote that post in a rush so couldn't convert to metrics.
    I'll try to read smaller books ;).

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I have a Deluxe question:
    Can the Spiff Kit Deluxe hold an average sized hardcover library book? If it did, it would be my perfect work entertainment-stuff bag. I just measured my latest library book, and it's 9.5" tall and about 7" wide. It was a slightly disappointing, but I finished it, mystery.
    This intrigues me... what else would you house in your entertainment-stuff bag?
    kindness is contagious.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bermudajes View Post
    This intrigues me... what else would you house in your entertainment-stuff bag?
    A book, a notebook for doodling, my phone for the Internet and Words with Friends, and that's about it. I work backstage, and keep one ear on the show and read between cues.

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    A book, a notebook for doodling, my phone for the Internet and Words with Friends, and that's about it. I work backstage, and keep one ear on the show and read between cues.
    Thanks for sharing! Sounds very similar to what I carry daily (and what I pack to entertain myself when traveling). I love that just a few small items can keep me occupied for hours.
    kindness is contagious.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stuffing the Spiff Kit and Spiff Kit Deluxe with Stuff-imageuploadedbytapatalk1426616048-760293-jpg

SKS stuffed with in-flight stuff at General Mitchell International.

What stuff?

Top: Kindle Paperwhite, Field Notes, two pens, Kleenex, retractable cable, some origami paper, a granola bar and a Jackery Bar.

Bottom left: hand sanitizer, mints, lip balm, eye drops.

Bottom right: three cough drops, earbuds, Advil.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spiff Kit Standard as at-work-amusements organizer:

I asked earlier today if the Deluxe would fit a hardcover book, and the answer might be No, but the Standard does hold a trade paperback!

Stuffing the Spiff Kit and Spiff Kit Deluxe with Stuff-image-jpg

and a Hobonichi Weeks notebook that I mostly doodle in. The Weeks fits in the undivided pocket:

Stuffing the Spiff Kit and Spiff Kit Deluxe with Stuff-img_1907-jpg

Add my phone and some pencils and a pen, and I'll be amused for 4 hours or so!

Here it is all zipped up:

Stuffing the Spiff Kit and Spiff Kit Deluxe with Stuff-img_1908-jpg

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Stuffing the Spiff Kit and Spiff Kit Deluxe with Stuff-imageuploadedbytapatalk1426616048-760293-jpg

SKS stuffed with in-flight stuff at General Mitchell International.

What stuff?

Top: Kindle Paperwhite, Field Notes, two pens, Kleenex, retractable cable, some origami paper, a granola bar and a Jackery Bar.

Bottom left: hand sanitizer, mints, lip balm, eye drops.

Bottom right: three cough drops, earbuds, Advil.

Just a quick follow-up: I am happy to report that the SKS worked pretty well meeting my in-flight needs last week. It was my first (and last) time flying Southwest and I sort of ended up at the back of the plane in a middle seat, so it was nice not having to jostle my neighbors to get to my underseat bag. The handle of the SKS could be tucked inside the tray table clip, letting it hang conveniently, and let me get into it without too much difficulty. The best part: on the way home I took pretty early flights so all I needed on me was my phone and earbuds. The SKS tucked into my bag with ease and basically disappeared, which was very nice indeed.

Forum Member
    Southeastern NC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To enter a bit of a contrary note - I really wanted to like the spiff kit (standard version) as I have longed for a TB kit for quite a while. Alas, I tried it, and for what I tend to carry, it does not work. The divider stitching in the lower portion results in 2 compartments which are just smaller than I can use given what I typically carry. If the both the upper and lower compartments were open without the compartmentalization, the kit would be a good size for me. The stuff I carry just needs a bit more room than is available. (The deluxe version might work but the overall package is larger than I want to use - I already use the clear quarter packing cube for my kit. While that is really larger overall than I need, it works better for what I carry.) I could have removed the divider stitching myself but opted not to as that sort of thing is not really art of my skill set.

So with some sadness, my spiff is on its way back to the mother ship and will likely find a new owner that will appreciate it.

San Pedro, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone done a test pack with these items into another Tom Bihn bag like a NFTD or a Pilot?

Recently I was in search of a new Dopp kit/toiletry kit (this was before the debut of these items). I specifically wanted the kit to fit inside the main compartment of my NFTD since it was my likely non-work carry on personal item (my work one is a S25, under packed).

I tried a lot of them and looked at a lot of measurements online before finally deciding on the Hershel kit in grey. It fits in my NFTD as well as the Aeronaut 45 nicely.

How do these fit into other bags?

Forum Member
    Morgantown
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm torn between a SSK and/or a 3DCOC for 311 during my upcoming trip overseas. What I need to know is what I can actually have in my bags since I'm doing carry on only. I literally may have no liquids at all that I travel with, intending to take a Lush shampoo bar, chunk of Dr. Bronner's soap, anti-perspirant, razor, toothpaste and toothbrush, and lip balm. It is also recommended that we take a good bug spray, and I might take sunscreen as well. I do have some prescription medications that I have to take, though.

So, given that I won't be checking a bag and my grooming routine is minimal at best (I don't even own a comb!) is the SSK worth buying on top of the 3DCOC? Or, will most of my toiletries need to be in that 311 clear zip?

ETA: I know the SSK doesn't work as a 311. I'm just curious if I can utilize that at all to carry toiletries in my carryon.
    Last edited by jennygoat; 03-25-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast