Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought that anything that is not solid, like a bar of soap needs to be in the 3-1-1, that would include lip balm , toothpaste, bug spray and sunscreen.

But, just I was typing that, I scrolled up and saw Badger's hand sanitizer, mints, lip balm and eye drops in the Spiff Kit.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradnd99 View Post
    Has anyone done a test pack with these items into another Tom Bihn bag like a NFTD or a Pilot?

How do these fit into other bags?
    Moriond had a picture of the Spiff Kit Standard in a Pilot Front pocket, I have used it in a Synapse S25 lower front pocket (the one that is horizontal), I just went and tried it in a side pocket of the Nightflight Trave Duvel: fits with a bit room to spare on top of it, and thanks to NWhikergal we know that a fully packed Spiff Kit fits the Front Modular Pocket of the Smart Alec.

The two Aeronouts of cause have no problem to take it on board.

I hope this helps
    Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I always thought that anything that is not solid, like a bar of soap needs to be in the 3-1-1, that would include lip balm , toothpaste, bug spray and sunscreen.

But, just I was typing that, I scrolled up and saw Badger's hand sanitizer, mints, lip balm and eye drops in the Spiff Kit.
    I used to put my hand sanitizer and eye drops into my 311 but a couple years ago I forgot and it didn't make a difference, so I stopped. I've never had these items taken from me. Ymmv of course, but I'm talking 10 flights including overseas.

I think lip balm counts as a solid; otherwise, deodorant would also need to go in the 311.

My mints were also solid :)

Re: bug spray. I wouldn't try to carry on a can of it, but I usually bring bug spray wipes and those don't need to go in the 311. They're also easier to use when it's windy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Asheville, NC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3-1-1

Eye drops & contact lens solution do NOT have to go in a 3-1-1, they can go in a separate medicine bag along with your Naprosyn or whatever meds you pack. A medicine bag is not part of your 3-1-1.

You can also buy solid deodorant instead of gel, & that doesn't have to go in a 3-1-1. Lipstick & chapstick are solids, while lipgloss & toothpaste are liquids. Amazon sells Colgate in a 2.8oz size which lasts me over a month, so we buy that for our long trips . . . the little, tiny travel-sized toothpastes that they sell at Walmart/Target are too small & don't last long enough, but that 2.8oz size is perfect.

Amazon also sells a great powder laundry soap for washing your clothes in the sink, FOREVER NEW, that you can buy either in packets or a small container - which don't have to go in your 3-1-1 either. We have really tried to narrow down our liquids & have discovered some great products along the way. I take mostly powder cosmetics . . . there are some great pressed powder foundations by Lancome, MAC, IT . . .

The only liquids I still have to take are my face primer, toothpaste, mascara, lip gloss, face soap, & shampoo (which i buy in packets, no containers, so they pack very well in my 3DCOC}. I am loving a little coconut oil on my hair instead of 'hair products' & that is considered a solid too (I put it in a small container). We learned a ton about 3-1-1 on the Rick Steves forums . . . wish I knew how to post the link here... but you can SEARCH it on the Rick Steves Forums by typing HELP ME UNDERSTAND THE 3-1-1 RULE . . . there are many posts from me and FrankII on there too. I always buy myself a nice European lotion when we get to Europe, so I don't take lotion with me. We like the hand sanitizer wipes over the hand-sanitizer gel (wipes just seem to clean our hands better), and the wipes don't have to go in a 3-1-1 like the gel does.

I am loving the standard spiff as a makeup & makeup brush bag... & I throw in some of my solid stuff too (deodorant, etc)
    Last edited by chinalake; 03-26-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Forum Member
    Morgantown
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @chinalake, that is a nice concise list of what I'm looking for. And, it's a SSK enabling post, haha. Guess I need to add one on to my next order.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stuffing the Spiff Kit and Spiff Kit Deluxe with Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    To enter a bit of a contrary note - I really wanted to like the spiff kit (standard version) as I have longed for a TB kit for quite a while. Alas, I tried it, and for what I tend to carry, it does not work. The divider stitching in the lower portion results in 2 compartments which are just smaller than I can use given what I typically carry. If the both the upper and lower compartments were open without the compartmentalization, the kit would be a good size for me. The stuff I carry just needs a bit more room than is available.
    This is a little late, but having just used my standard spiff kit for a long weekend, I have the same thought. I'm not sure why the second mesh pocket is divided, and I could have fit more in it if both pockets were the same size.

I wanted a bag that would hold all my toiletries, wet and dry, and while this works for a four day trip, I'm not sure it will fit what I need for longer trips.

On the other hand, I like the overall design with the exception of the divided pocket thing, and the hook, which could be larger to fit a broader range of towel bars. I do like the flexibility of the pockets compared to the typical setup of a toiletry bag, like LL Bean's, which assume you are packing all tubes, and have even more tiny slots built in. And the shape is great, because it is easier to pack "flattish" bags than boxy ones, the way I travel.

It's also interesting to see all the alternative uses for the spiff kits!
    Last edited by bchaplin; 04-04-2015 at 05:10 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    This is a little late, but having just used my standard spiff kit for a long weekend, I have the same thought [as @rabergnc in another post]. I'm not sure why the second mesh pocket is divided, and I could have fit more in it if both pockets were the same size.

I wanted a bag that would hold all my toiletries, wet and dry, and while this works for a four day trip, I'm not sure it will fit what I need for longer trips.

On the other hand, I like the overall design with the exception of the divided pocket thing, and the hook, which could be larger to fit a broader range of towel bars. I do like the flexibility of the pockets compared to the typical setup of a toiletry bag, like LL Bean's, which assume you are packing all tubes, and have even more tiny slots built in. And the shape is great, because it is easier to pack "flattish" bags than boxy ones, the way I travel...
    !
    Hmm. This gives me pause. I'm about to order the SKD, and I wonder if anyone who's used the larger version has noted the same thing with the divided pocket cutting down the available useable space in that second compartment?

~Nancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    Hmm. This gives me pause. I'm about to order the SKD, and I wonder if anyone who's used the larger version has noted the same thing with the divided pocket cutting down the available useable space in that second compartment?

~Nancy
    Yeah, it does, but it works for me. I like the sewing down the middle because it helps me separate and hold small bottles better. When I was packing the hubs' DSK, he had these small fiddly nasal sprays, moisturiser, and pump bottles. The divided small pocket helped them stay in one place, and upright. It was especially helpful because he didn't have enough stuff to fill the two pockets if they had been one single pocket, and stuff would have rolled about and caps come off, etc. I definitely see why folks would want 2 long pockets instead of 1 long and 2 small though, and I'm pretty darned sure there'll come a day when I want the same thing!

Seriously though, I think the SKs are pretty amazing. I think you'd have to stuff them with, IDK, oranges or something to not be able to zip them up... the flexibility and sturdiness of dyneema *really* shines through in this product, IMO.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 04-04-2015 at 06:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Yeah, it does, but it works for me. I like the sewing down the middle because it helps me separate and hold small bottles better. When I was packing the hubs' DSK, he had these small fiddly nasal sprays, moisturiser, and pump bottles. The divided small pocket helped them stay in one place, and upright. It was especially helpful because he didn't have enough stuff to fill the two pockets if they had been one single pocket, and stuff would have rolled about and caps come off, etc. I definitely see why folks would want 2 long pockets instead of 1 long and 2 small though, and I'm pretty darned sure there'll come a day when I want the same thing!

Seriously though, I think the SKs are pretty amazing. I think you'd have to stuff them with, IDK, oranges or something to not be able to zip them up... the flexibility and sturdiness of dyneema *really* shines through in this product, IMO.
    Thank you, thank you, @adalangdon. This is just what I needed to know, so I think I'll go ahead and order the SKD.

~Nancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait for mine to come Tues!

Forum Member
    Morgantown
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty much sold on a SSK. I'm not a makeup girl, I usually only have a lip balm or gloss on me, except for occasions I wear red lipstick, so a makeup bag wouldn't be priority. But, I do like nice bath/shower products which I drag along on trips, along with toothbrush, toothpaste, etc. My main reasons for wanting the SSK are for my upcoming 3-week study abroad where I'll be sharing a room with another student. I like the idea of being able to hang the SK in the bathroom and have all my supplies together and not scattered all over the bathroom counter or shower.

Now I just need to settle on UV or Steel!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like this idea!

Will a regular sized hairbrush fit in the SK, does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    So, you’ll notice that all of the liquid toiletries are just sort of in there, which works fine if you’re traveling by car but not so well for air travel. A Clear 3D OC will fit loose inside the SK/D, but a) there’s nothing to clip it to, and b) it’s not really the best use of space inside the SK/D. Here’s a work-around:

You need a SK (or SKD), a 3D Clear OC, and two 8” Key Straps, preferably in the same color (which is what I would have done but I didn’t have two of the same bright color, so my OCD took one for the team):

Loop the Key Strap around one of the handles of the SK/D and clip both ends to the side outer o-ring of the 3D OC. Do the same with the other Key Strap.

Now you’ve got this:

When you get to the security checkpoint, just pull out the whole thing from your bag and lay the 3D OC flat on the conveyor belt:

Go Key Straps!

To be continued (for real)...

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will but you loose quite some space. But with all the "wett" toiletrys on the outside that might not be a problem.
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

North of the TB Mothership
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn you, @Badger! You had to put legos and shots in there. The perfect mommy bag!

Forum Member
    Deep South, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stuffing the Spiff Kit and Spiff Kit Deluxe with Stuff-img_2039-1-jpg

I'm three years late to this conversation, but the way I use my Small Spiff Kit is as a holder of necessities for my gym bag.
    S19, Pilot, S25, SE, NFTD, SCB, LCB, LS- in that order, all in Halcyon. Newest: Brain Bag. Oh, and some Shop Bags and Travel Cubelets. And some pouches. And a couple of Organizer Wallets. And a SSK. And some stuff sacks. And a laundry sack. But I'm not hooked on TB.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3