Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:

I am out of words for now but I wanted to give you some pictures anyway. This is a very unique design and these pictures do not give it credit:

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-spiff-deluxe-1-jpg

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-spiff-deluxe-4-jpg

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-spiff-deluxe-3-jpg

Some sizing with a Side Effect and a Clear Quarter Packing Cube:

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-spiff-deluxe-2-jpg

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-spiff-deluxe-size-comp1-jpg

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here as a Teck-Kit:

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-spiff-deluxe-teck-jpg

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-spiff-deluxe-teck-2-jpg

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-spiff-deluxe-size-comp3-jpg

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, @Ilkyway. These were very helpful to me. I was debating between standard and deluxe and since my CQPC is too large for my current needs, the deluxe would be even more excessive. *Rushing to change my Shopping Basket*
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the Spiff Kit Deluxe in an Aeronaut 45. I folded some random stuff into two large packing cubes for the A45 and an end packing cube. The second outer compartmend hold the Spiff Deluxe and a Travel Stuff Sack size 2.

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-imb_0742-jpg

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-imb_0743-jpg

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-imb_0744-jpg

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-imb_0746-jpg

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-imb_0747-jpg

Mind you, I am not the packer in the house. My husband would have a bit of a laugh if he would care to look at these pictures. In the pocked with the Spiff there is some room left for something flatish. In the Main compartment there is a bit spare room too. But I hope this gives an impression and helps to get a feel for the size.

Ilkyway

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here is a the writing-tool take on the Spiff Deluxe as backpack has kind of asked for in the Spiff Standard thread. I hope this is, what you wanted to see?

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-imb_0739-jpg

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-imb_0740-jpg

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-imb_0749-jpg

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-imb_0750-jpg

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-imb_0752-jpg

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-imb_0759-jpg

Ilkyway

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And just because they are so cute and so very versatile: another close look at these little jaws. The one with the pencil-sharpener can double for the sharpening-dust until one has the opportunity to through it in a bin. The small fountain cartridges can stand upright in there.

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-imb_0758-jpg

The Notebooks are A5 by the way. With the jaws attached you cant go too thick with the notebooks or you would have to use a smaller than A5 size. But this is a full sized Leuchtturm with 249 pages. The blue Clairefontain notebook has 64 pages so this is quite a bit to write on.

Some thoughts in comparison to the Field Journal: As for the Form Factor: The Deluxe and the Field Journal are nearly the same size.
    The Field Journal has one unique feature that is not reproducible with any of the Spiff Kits: You can write literately in the field in it. You can have it around your shoulder like a bag and when need be you can write an a flat surface while standing somewhere. This is a fantastic feature.
    Well lets do this a bit more organized:
    Pro Field Journal:
    1. Write while you stand on a flat surface
    2. Outer zipper pocked with O-Ring
    3. Outer open pocket to slide something in and out.
    4. Ring Binder - You can re-arange your paper as need be
    5. Shoulderstrap
    6. Worn on the shoulder it does not hint at what it is.

Pro Spiff Deluxe (most of it goes for the Spiff Standard too)
    1. A lot more stationary items go in there - kind of a moving buero.
    2. Three Mash-pockets show, what is in there but nothing wanders about.
    3. Can be utilized as a bathroom kit too ;-)
    4. Is brand new and will be available when the Field Journal is no longer for purchase.
    5. Sometimes Ring-binder is not what you want. This one accommodates any notebook up to A5
    6. Thous little tins help a lot with these very small items you do not want all over the place or with items that might spill.
    7. For thous who shy away from cordura due to pet-hair: this one is Dyneema

The list is by no means complete but it might trigger some thoughts.

Ilkyway

Edit: had forgotten the picture
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 03-12-2015 at 05:17 AM.

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew I should've ordered the Deluxe too! Maybe for next year when I get an A5 Hobonichi. I've been thinking of the Deluxe as an alternative to the Field Journal. Thanks for the informative post, Ilkyway!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    And just because they are so cute and so very versatile: another close look at these little jaws. The one with the pencil-sharpener can double for the sharpening-dust until one has the opportunity to through it in a bin. The small fountain cartridges can stand upright in there.

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-imb_0758-jpg

The Notebooks are A5 by the way. With the jaws attached you cant go too thick with the notebooks or you would have to use a smaller than A5 size. But this is a full sized Leuchtturm with 249 pages. The blue Clairefontain notebook has 64 pages so this is quite a bit to write on.

Some thoughts in comparison to the Field Journal: As for the Form Factor: The Deluxe and the Field Journal are nearly the same size.
    The Field Journal has one unique feature that is not reproducible with any of the Spiff Kits: You can write literately in the field in it. You can have it around your shoulder like a bag and when need be you can write an a flat surface while standing somewhere. This is a fantastic feature.
    Well lets do this a bit more organized:
    Pro Field Journal:
    1. Write while you stand on a flat surface
    2. Outer zipper pocked with O-Ring
    3. Outer open pocket to slide something in and out.
    4. Ring Binder - You can re-arange your paper as need be
    5. Shoulderstrap
    6. Worn on the shoulder it does not hint at what it is.

Pro Spiff Deluxe (most of it goes for the Spiff Standard too)
    1. A lot more stationary items go in there - kind of a moving buero.
    2. Three Mash-pockets show, what is in there but nothing wanders about.
    3. Can be utilized as a bathroom kit too ;-)
    4. Is brand new and will be available when the Field Journal is no longer for purchase.
    5. Sometimes Ring-binder is not what you want. This one accommodates any notebook up to A5
    6. Thous little tins help a lot with these very small items you do not want all over the place or with items that might spill.
    7. For thous who shy away from cordura due to pet-hair: this one is Dyneema

The list is by no means complete but it might trigger some thoughts.

Ilkyway

Edit: had forgotten the picture

That is exactly what I wanted to see Ilkyway!

Thank you so much.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing those (international short?) carts fit in the jar is awesome! The jars look much smaller in pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up getting a UV DSK since we are taking solo trips between now and May. I've never used toiletry kits like the SK before, mainly because they were all so flimsy (they were freebies from e.g. Reader's Digest or career fairs and tended to tear, sometimes even as I packed them). But I thought, oh heck, why not try this one? My partner is flying off early tomorrow morning and I've got pretty much all his toiletries packed. I really like the substantial pockets-- small liquid bottles in one, small dry items in the other, large stuff in the top pocket-- and how hanging the DSK on a towel ring makes remembering to pack small essentials so much easier. (You can't forget your toothbrush when you have a big bright purple bag hanging beside the toothbrush rack.) Above all, I love how sturdy this thing is. Dyneema, smooth zips, flawless sewing... in total contrast to all the toiletry kits I've come across before. Don't need to have taken a trip with the DSK to know it's great.

Thanks again, TB. I like your products a lot. 'Nuff said.

(P.S. My partner is indifferent to most things TB, but he commented sadly how it would have been nice to have one in Solar!)
    Last edited by adalangdon; 04-02-2015 at 10:14 PM.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm envisioning the DSK as a gym kit, with travel towel/swimsuit on one side, and bar shampoo/moisturizer on the other, with little doodads (like hair things) in the jars. If Solar (or Nordic!) were an option, I'd be on it like a lion on catnip. I wonder if there's a new Dyneema color in the works?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My [plus-size] swimsuit would NEVER fit! ;)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:

So this is kind of niche, and it feels pretty funny resurrecting a new thread when we're just a couple of days (for me anyway) away from the next debut... but I've found that the DSK is the only thing in my current arsenal that can hold a fountain pen maintenance kit. My Goulet Pens tuning and maintenance set came today and I was initially at a loss as to how to store it. It has large pieces of metal mesh for nib filing, a big bulb syringe, and not to mention a lot of other chunky odds and ends. In other words, I needed a micro-Smart Alec-- something that could accommodate large, flat items as well as bulkier small items with ease. (I did not want to store them separately because for myself, storing less frequently used sets of items apart is just asking to forget where they are.)

The bulb syringe goes into one of the smaller pockets (it fits just right!), as do the smaller and chunkier items. As for the metal mesh pieces, they fit just right into the large upper compartment. It feels wasteful using a $55 bag to store a fountain pen maintenance set, but IMO it does that really well and I felt it was worth bringing up here.

Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look:-imageuploadedbytapatalk1434368076-323125-jpg
    Last edited by adalangdon; 06-15-2015 at 05:36 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just returned from a week away. While I don't use a bulb syringe, I DO use bottled ink. However, when I travel I take a number of fountain pens. Several have been filled at home from a bottle with a converter, and several have cartridges. So I take extra cartridges for those pens. I used the DSK for this purpose - my journaling bag. In the large mesh pocket I put a zipper pouch with the pens and a pencil pouch with microns. In a half mesh pocket were cartridges, and in the other, paper napkins/tissues for blotting, etc. Laid on top and zipped inside was my journal.

I take several pens because I never know what color of ink I'll be in the mood for. I usually match my ink to the pen, making it easy to know what color of ink is inside.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Ilkyway! I'm awaiting the arrival of a DSK in Wasabi, and it was great to see your posts and suggestions for uses for the kit!
    So many bags. And I love them all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast