Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Massachusetts
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my love for the CP bottle pocket grew even larger today. Why, you ask?

There's something good in there.

CP 66 by jjgtme, on Flickr

Kind of a funny shaped bottle with weird markings on it.

CP 67 by jjgtme, on Flickr

Could it be?

CP 68 by jjgtme, on Flickr

Yes, it is.

CP 69 by jjgtme, on Flickr

A 32 oz. growler of beer from Jack's Abby, my favorite brewery. I stopped by there today in hopes that they would still have a certain beer on tap. They did and so I took a growler to go. When I got back to the car I realized I had forgotten to bring something like a cardboard box to stand it up in for the ride. Embarrassing rookie move for a seasoned drinker, I know. The CP was in the front seat so I pulled out my water bottle and hoped the growler would make it in there. It did, I slung the shoulder strap over the headrest so the bag wouldn't flop over and the beer got home safe and sound.

Massachusetts
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to do another batch of pictures showing a different set of contents going in the Co-Pilot. How would it carry some portable electronics and related accessories? Here’s the menu.

~ iPad Air with padded sleeve, charging cable and wall adapter
    ~ Point & shoot camera in carrying case, mini tripod, battery charger and power cord
    ~ Bluetooth speaker, charging cable and wall adapter
    ~ Headphones
    ~ Water bottle
    ~ Q-kit with a few small items
    ~ Small organizer pouch with assorted “just in case” items.
    ~ Mini organizer pouch with some essentials.

CP 70 by jjgtme, on Flickr

The contents of the Q-kit and small organizer pouch are the same as previously shown in this thread so you can refer back if you want to know what’s in there.

The first thing to do is gather all the cables, chargers and whatnot together in one spot. The only one that really needed any taming was the speaker cable so I lashed it to the adapter and it was good to go.

CP 71 by jjgtme, on Flickr

The most logical place to put all of these things was the 3D organizer since we know that organizer will cleanly fit in either of the front pockets. But will everything fit nicely into the organizer? Yes, it will.

CP 72 by jjgtme, on Flickr

CP 73 by jjgtme, on Flickr

So that’s the speaker cable and adapter, iPad cable and adapter, Gorillapod mini tripod, camera battery charger and power cord all in the 3D organizer. Into the front pocket it goes.

CP 74 by jjgtme, on Flickr

There is some left over space on top of the 3D organizer. Can that be used for anything? Turns out it can. The Q-kit will snuggle right there in a horizontal orientation while clipped to the o-ring.

CP 75 by jjgtme, on Flickr

So there’s one area handled with pretty much maximum use of available space. Next is the biggest single item – the iPad. The sleeve I have is not overly thick but the padding is pretty dense so there’s not much compression to be had. It has an average thickness of about 1.25” with the tablet in place, slightly more for the area where the flap comes over. It’s no problem to fit the sleeve into the main compartment.

CP 76 by jjgtme, on Flickr

Massachusetts
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next are the headphones. You’ll note these are fairly small on the ear type headphones. They go nicely into one of the back wall pockets of the main compartment.

CP 77 by jjgtme, on Flickr

Staying in the main compartment, the small organizer pouch goes in front of the tablet sleeve. It can go in the middle or to either side depending on where the space is most available. It’s still easy to access and tethered to an o-ring.

CP 78 by jjgtme, on Flickr

CP 79 by jjgtme, on Flickr

Next up is the speaker. Its dimensions are essentially 5x5x2. I have fit it in the 3D organizer before but since that’s already in use I’m just tossing it in a nylon sack so it could be dummy corded if the need arose.

CP 80 by jjgtme, on Flickr

CP 81 by jjgtme, on Flickr

It fits in front of the tablet without a problem although its rigidity may impact on the front pockets depending on if you have something bulky or rigid in one of those. Not a problem here but something to keep in mind.

CP 82 by jjgtme, on Flickr

Massachusetts
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving to the other front pocket, the camera will go here in its case.

CP 83 by jjgtme, on Flickr

I tend not to keep cards or cash in a bag but if one were so inclined the mini organizer pouch works nicely for this task. Three cards, a money clip and a small Swiss army knife fit easily and keep a nice flat profile.

CP 84 by jjgtme, on Flickr

CP 85 by jjgtme, on Flickr

Clip the mini organizer to the o-ring and it will slip into the lined back wall pocket to stay secure and out of the way.

CP 86 by jjgtme, on Flickr

Add a key strap and we’re all done for this pocket.

CP 87 by jjgtme, on Flickr

Finally we come to water bottle which goes in its usual designated space.

CP 88 by jjgtme, on Flickr

All zipped up and ready to go now. The CP is not bursting at the seams but we’ve used up a lot of the depth from front to back. There’s still one back wall pocket free in the main compartment and the open top pocket on the back face of the bag could take a magazine or book. Something small could go in on top of the camera case but it would be in the way of accessing the camera, keys and mini organizer so perhaps its best to leave the space unfilled. There is some room between the speaker and mini organizer in front of the tablet. A Ziploc bag with some snacks or a few granola bars could fit there. A hat and or gloves could roll up and go there provided they aren’t too bulky. Or they could lie horizontally on top of the speaker and organizer to use up the left over vertical space in the main compartment. There's also extra space in the bottle pocket but that wouldn't be the case for everyone given all the different bottle sizes out there.

CP 89 by jjgtme, on Flickr

CP 90
    by jjgtme, on Flickr

Overall nothing feels too tightly packed or difficult to get at and we still have space to use or reconfigure if needed. I think the CP has done well on the a place for everything and everything in its place front, as usual.

Thanks for tuning in to another episode of What Will Fit in a Co-Pilot. See you next week...or whenever we get around to it. Same Bihn time, same Bihn channel. ;-)

Forum Member
    Morgantown
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does a regular size folder, roughly 9.25x11.5, fit in the main compartment? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on my order, but need to know this for EDC purposes. Thanks!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jennygoat View Post
    Does a regular size folder, roughly 9.25x11.5, fit in the main compartment? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on my order, but need to know this for EDC purposes. Thanks!
    Not in the Co-Pilot, not without bending it. It will fit in the Pilot. I am not sure about the back exterior of the Co-Pilot but again I suspect it's not wide enough to hold a file folder. Let's wait for somebody more experienced to chime in - with links or references that I am afraid I can't provide.

Forum Member
    Morgantown
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Not in the Co-Pilot, not without bending it. It will fit in the Pilot. I am not sure about the back exterior of the Co-Pilot but again I suspect it's not wide enough to hold a file folder. Let's wait for somebody more experienced to chime in - with links or references that I am afraid I can't provide.
    Thanks, that's just what I needed to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massachusetts
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11.5" across (as you would orient it to go in the bag) is not a problem for the CP but anything over 9" the other way is going to start running into the zipper at the corners. As GoStanford said, it will get bent.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I tried to make the back pocket of my CP work for a file folder for my current trip, and it was just too tight, so I had to default to my. Pilot.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Morgantown
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heartbreakingly, I had to pass on the CP since it won't fit a folder. Pilots are nice, but there is something about the CP that just stole my heart the longer I looked at it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no! I want one now!!
    Aeronaut 30 in Aubergine/Wasabi
    Ristretto in Olive/Cayenne
    Small cafe in Plum Cordura/Olive
    Western Flyer in Black/Island
    Synapse 19 in Burnt Orange/Northwest Sky
    Smart Alec in Black/Iberian
    Synapse 25 in Red Blend/Northwest Sky
    Small Cafe bag in Red Blend/Navy (EDCB)
    Accessories:travel tray , Travel Laundry Stuff Sack, 3D Organizer Cube, Set of A30 Aether Packing Cubes, Side Effect, and a Double Organizer Pouch I use as a wallet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2