Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

The Earth, we share.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Experience with Dyneema & Ballistic Co-Pilot CP

My Experience with Dyneema & Ballistic Co-Pilot CP-dyneema-vs-ballistic-co-pilot-jpg
    Left to Right: 400d Dyneema Steel/Solar, Black Ballistic/Solar [All Co-Pilot, in case you wonder :P)

Before I start my brief review of Dyneema vs Ballistic of Co-Pilot, I wish to point out that I also recently share some photos of newly acquisition inclusive the Ballistic Co-Pilot that I used to compare in this review in the Photos, Videos, and Reviews. In case, you like to see more photos :)

I understand well that there are plenty of discussion that touches on the differences of Dyneema versus Ballistic, especially Co-Pilot or Pilot. I am not going to into length, just to briefly listed out my experiences and lastly, my preferences.

My Experience with Dyneema & Ballistic Co-Pilot CP-dyneema-vs-ballistic-co-pilot-fabric-jpg

DYNEEMA 400d Co-Pilot
    Pros
    - Obviously, specs wise, lighter in weight and quite flexible/packable
    - Due to its fabric flexibility (or softness), I could easily maximize the Bag's Volume or simply, you could carry or stuff more into the Bag.
    - Also due to the softness, I could easily navigate my hand through the tight spot of packed Bag and pull it out.
    - For me, Dyneema Fabric is unique. It may seems like printed-pattern cloth but it is not.
    - Also, the overall Dyneema look may consider to be semi-professional especially Black Dyneema.

Cons
    - Due to its flexible fabric, it is more sloppy especially empty.
    - If you are shouldering or cross-bodying it, you may have a hard time unzip the compartment using one-hand especially, if it is in "floppy" state.
    - If one tends to have a habit to stuff more into their Bag, Dyneema allow to do so. So does the overall weight added to your shoulder. It will be alright, if it is a short walk - wouldn't really recommend for a constant traveling/commuting by walking/public transport.

BALLISTIC Co-Pilot
    Cons
    - Due to its rigid Fabric Structure (Ballistic), one will have a bit hard time to maximizing the volume. Need more time to arrange stuff in correct puzzle-order to ensure volume/space is being maximize.
    - If the main compartment is quite packed, you may have a hard time to use the front pockets which its space become smaller, as the main compartments budged in. With Dyneema's soft fabric, you could slightly expand out the front compartment but not so much in Ballistic version.
    My Experience with Dyneema & Ballistic Co-Pilot CP-dyneema-vs-ballistic-co-pilot-front-packed-marked-jpg
    The Black Arrow marked the Main Compartment's space budging in. While the Red Arrow marked the flexibility of front compartment's space budging out.
    I am having a hard time, trying to find others way to show my words into pictures. I don't think my photo capture those but I hope you understand.

Pros
    - Due to limited volume/space (comparing Dyneema), one is less likely to over stuff therefore an overall lighter (and happier) experience.
    - Plus, the rigid fabric kept less possibility of irregular shape Co-Pilot. Therefore, more friendly for Back Cross-Bodying.
    - Plenty of color option and combo to choose from Professional, semi-professional to totally casual especially with recent released Burnt Orange.
    - Able to stand on its own, even empty.
    - I also find it slightly easier to unzip. However, in some cases, I still have to use 2 hands to unzip during cross-bodying.

Personally, I only used my Co-Pilot when my Wife and I traveled for holiday/work trip/visiting our parents, and also mainly due to the Water Bottle pocket. We have a habit of drinking a lot of Mineral Water everyday. From the recent experience using the new Ballistic Co-Pilot, I personally prefer the Ballistic version as I feel it is easier to unzip, take and zip back when I was shouldering it - provided that my Co-Pilot isn't fully packed. Also, due to its rigid structure, my Wife couldn't see anymore reason to stuff more and just bring what is necessary.

I hope I did not miss out anything.
    Hope this review help out in your decision making - which to buy or which to use during certain time.

Lastly, I also in dilemma whether to keep the other CP for "unknown" future usage or in case, I regret. But I did not like to have redundancy in life or using the reason "unknown future usage" or "regret later", as I wish to keep my consumerism life in control and I hope, one day, I could live in a simple life - not lavish. I am purely speaking of myself, not anyone and wouldn't wish anyone to be offended.

Add: It suddenly cross to my mind that the DLBC could act very well - a substitute of Co-Pilot. One of the Compartment in DLBC has a two sewn divider - perhaps that could work as a Water Bottle compartment. Will try out. I'm not sure whether this been mentioned before. Anyway, just wish to point out here.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 03-14-2015 at 10:45 PM. Reason: add: The DLBC
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your comparisons, Weirdguy! I originally bought a Steel/UV Ballistic Co-Pilot. I ended up returning it for a Nordic Dyneema Pilot. I have sighed after that Co-Pilot many a time since, but I have decided that, especially for the small size of the bag, that the Dyneema version would be more effective for how I would carry it. I love that Tom Bihn makes the same bags in a multitude of fabrics and colors. That way, there is something for everyone!

The Earth, we share.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks you, @Mausermama. And, I agreed with you too on last point that "there is something for everyone!" :)

Anyway, I'm sure many of my points had been discussed before but I listed them down in points. In one case, with photo though the photos had a hard time pointing but at least, something others in the Forum able to understand "the budging in and out". Lol. Also, I intended my review as a supplementary reading. I am sure there are many great and even more detail review like videos.

ADD: By the way @Mausermama, I read up a lot of your writing about your fabric preference for certain Bag. For an example, Ballistic for Aeronaut, Dyneema for Co-Pilot, Parapack for Cafe Bag and Ballistic for Imago. I never realize that Imago has a Ballistic option until you said so. Hm, I think I may like it too. Lol. Someday, I guess if there is any chance through trade or an updated in the future.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 03-15-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the Copilot. I would have a burnt orange one in my dream world, to go along with the black Dyneema /wasabi one I already have. My Copilot love started with a navy ballistic model, and transitioned to Dyneema.
    I like the Dyneema for all the reasons mentioned before: it's light, flexible, and squishy.
    I liked the ballistic version for its structure.
    I love them both. The reason I transitioned to Dyneema was the "bags we carry" video. I loved the look of the Dyneema Copilot. I'm so suggestible.

Washington, D.C.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great comparison. I would also love to try the CP in dyneema. I have a navy ballistic/Dyneema solar CP and I love that it is very sturdy, but it definitely has zero give...even after a year of ownership. i think I would enjoy the flexibiity and the sportier look of Dyneema a lot. I think that the two fabrics are very different, and owning two of the same bags in Ballistic or Dyneema is not redundant.

Massachusetts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with your points made about the Dyneema model. I found that with enough time and use the zippers on mine have broken in well and accessing the pockets one-handed while the bag sits across my body isn't a problem. But there are still occasions where they'll hang up due to lack of inherent rigidness you mention.

I still think I would take Dyneema 10 times out of 10 because it's so much more visually striking to me and different than everything else out there in its range.

The Earth, we share.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, it seems like quite a few (more than I thought) owned both Dyneema and Ballistic Co-Pilot!

I know. I know. I kinda hoping to use the "no-so-redundant" for others TB's stuff. Kinda sad to see some Bag aren't getting much love/use. It is alright, I will keep both unless ______ .

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @weirdguy Is the Ballistic CP in your review made of 1050D or the latest 525D? Thanks!

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill View Post
    @weirdguy Is the Ballistic CP in your review made of 1050D or the latest 525D? Thanks!
    Since I haven't seen @weirdguy around in a couple of months, I'll go ahead and answer that he wrote this review before 525d Ballistic was introduced, so he definitely has 1050d in this review. If I remember right, 525d was introduced in 2017 and I think the Co-Pilot continued to be made in 1050d until the middle of 2018.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.