Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Remembering the Buzz

My first Tom Bihn bag was the Buzz, but I can't seem to find any pictures of it online!

Do any of you have pictures of your Buzz that you could share?

Forum Member
    Atlanta, GA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first found Tom Bihn, the Buzz was the bag that I wanted the most. But by the time I was ready to buy, they had consolidated the line to a left-shoulder design, which was counter to how I liked using one-strap shoulder bags. I like it on my right shoulder, so when I enter my car, I can slide it off onto the passenger seat as I get ready to drive. (And easily slip it back on when I get out of the car.)

I never got my hands on a Buzz, and I probably wouldn't buy one now if they came out. I love the Co-Pilot more than I ever thought it was possible to love an everyday carry bag. :)
    Aeronaut (Original in Hunter Green), Aeronaut 30 (Forest), Smart Alec (Hunter Green), Pilot (Forest), Co-Pilot (Coyote), Synapse 25 (Black Dyneema), Two Large Shop Bags (Iberian and Steel), Passport Pouch (Iberian), Two Travel Trays (Solar stays in the Aeronaut, Iberian stays home), more than a dozen accessories.

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a Buzz, but it looks like there are some pictures floating around in cyberspace, including those on the TB product page:

Buzz - Laptop sling bag for the 15" MacBook Pro - TOM BIHN

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22t...P&ved=0CDMQsAQ
    kindness is contagious.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some "Buzz" about the Buzz ...

There were 2 versions that I recall in my reading as well (note - I do not have one - pre my introduction to TB) ...

Original version:
    Tom Bihn Buzz Notebook Case Review (pics)
    SchwarzTech*
    The Buzz Sling Bag by Tom Bihn Review

Updated version:
    Tom Bihn Buzz Sling Bag Review
    Review: Tom Bihn - Buzz Sling Bag
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64txXps3h7U

I may be off in my categorization of version review.

It might be neat to get a revised version - perhaps smaller like the sling bags that we see today as personal EDCs - an alternative to the Cafe Bags.

Hope this is what you are looking for

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 03-18-2015 at 11:43 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tnpl, that's really helpful! I didn't realize there was a redesign, how do I tell which one I had? Do you remember the color options?

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your question has exceeded my capabilities @ianlhayes!

Perhaps the all knowing TB "oracle" can assist - @moriond? I think you actually had/have a Buzz?

Cheers
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original Buzz was designed to fit the 12" Powerbook (yes, Powerbook!) while the redesigned Buzz was updated to have a laptop compartment to fit the 15" Powerbook/MacBook Pro.

Check out this video made by the talented maverick featuring the laptop compartment of the Buzz. :)

Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @ianlhayes, @BJ Nemeth, and others,

@tpnl gave links to reviews of the orginal and redesigned Buzz, but I'll embed some pictures that already exist as uploaded attachments.

Here's a picture of the original Buzz, designed to hold a 12" Mac iBook or PowerBook, that debuted in 2004 (and was my first Tom Bihn bag):

This is the Buzz in Spruce, and I posted the picture as part of a discussion of Cordura colors that were in use earlier, but that are no longer available. My own Buzz is Plum in color, but Spruce was one of the original Buzz colors (that I liked), along with Crimson. The original Buzz was not designed to take larger laptops, but it was available in left-handed versions. You can read Darcy's post (#2) in the 2005 Buzz or Incase Slingpack thread. And later down in that thread you can read my assessment comparing the two bags and answering the question of how A4 paper, notebooks, and binders fit into the orginal Buzz. There were lots of requests to have the Buzz modified to carry larger laptops as soon as this popular laptop bag debuted. If you read the Buzz and Sony SZ Series you'll see one of these requests, along with my post explaining why I thought this was not a simple "make everything larger" process.

The redesigned Buzz debuted in 2007, with a longer shape capable of holding 13" and 15" laptops. @BJ Nemeth, I remember your question to Darcy in the Plans for a Left-Shoulder Buzz? thread, which contains a link to Tom's answer about why they decided not to continue with a separate model for the new bag. Darcy also posted that there were still some left-handed original Buzz models available at the time they announced the redesigned model in the Buzz Now Fits MacBook (And the 15.4" MacBook Pro) thread.

Here's what the redesigned Buzz (from 2007) looks like (in Black/Steel/Sapphire, which is the color combination I bought):

You'll noticed that it still has the water bottle pocket at the side of the bag, but the shape looks less tear drop at the top, and the Buzz is longer. The pictures are from one of the reviews that @tpnl linked, but were separately attached and discussed in my post that detailed the features of the Buzz for a user who was not familar with this bag.

I can describe the available color options, if needed. This was actually a sore point, because they had a beautiful combination in Black, Navy, and Plum that showed in a mockup image (no longer available), but that they pulled back because they thought they'd have to retire Plum at the time. (That's how I ended up ordering Sapphire). BTW, the orginal Buzz was my favorite early Tom Bihn EDC, and although I sold the redesigned Buzz (because one of our forum members really wanted that bag), I have held onto my original Plum Buzz.

For those of you who want to read reviews of the older bags, I'll point you to the Imagometrics web site, where you can find reviews of the original Buzz, Imago, and other just-about-to-be-retired bags. (I had the same model of Imago in Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Cordura shown in that review). You'll also see abundant references to Larabars that were used in early pictures to estimate sizes of bags and accessories, because @Zephyrnoid, the author of the Imagometrics reviews, is the person who hooked all the Tom Bihn staff on these (see post #6 in the Request: Larabar Intervention thread).

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 03-18-2015 at 07:10 PM.

South Pasadena Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Fond memories

The Buzz was my first Tom Bihn bag. I first discovered it here:

Worked for me until I needed something a little larger.
    It hung around in a closet for quite some time.
    Sold it last year or the previous year. Can't remember. However, I'm sure it is still going strong.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.Confused

NJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @BPritchard, it was that same review that sent me to the Tom Bihn web site all those years ago to get a Buzz, my very first TB bag :-)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPritchard View Post
    The Buzz was my first Tom Bihn bag. I first discovered it here:

Worked for me until I needed something a little larger.
    It hung around in a closet for quite some time.
    Sold it last year or the previous year. Can't remember. However, I'm sure it is still going strong.
    @BPritchard, One reason the original (smaller) Buzz has retained my interest, is that laptops and tablets have gotten smaller. So many of the older bags that were designed for smaller devices are seeing new life. Similarly, I feel that the increased power of smart phones and tablets, combined with the stricter enforcement of Airline carryon luggage restrictions, and new designs like the light-weight Daylight Backpack and Daylight Briefcase bags have breathed new life into (and renewed demand for) the smaller travel bags like the Western Flyer.

So some of the bags that are just about to be retired, and that are mentioned in the Getting the Last of Some of the Best. And Happy, too! thread, may be experiencing a last rejuvenated burst, too.

What color was your Buzz?

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Still Geocaching With My Buzz...

I still have my original Buzz. It was my everyday commuter bag until I needed more space, at which point I switched to a Super Ego. This bag served me well for many trips to work (and on vacations), however, I always liked the slim design of the Buzz, and how it naturally hugged my back. I guess my preference has always been with a backpack rather than a messenger bag. So, I finally upgraded my Super Ego to a Synapse 25 this year...and loving this new pack.

Meanwhile, my Buzz is still going strong...as my go to bag for geocaching. I had a Maxpediton Fatboy I used for geocaching, but discovered that my "retired" Buzz was the perfect bag for this hobby. I keep my geocache swap goodies, along with pens, notepad, snacks and gloves (getting to some geocaches can get pretty dirty) in the front section, and camera and tripod in the main section. As Ian described it, once I get to a geocache, it's nice to be able to swing the entire pack around to the front, without removing it, and get quick access to all my "tools" in the zippered sections. Having access to my water bottle this way is great as well. While my Buzz got a new life, my Fatboy has been collecting dust. :)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to add an early forum picture of the Buzz in Plum used as a Camera Bag from the thread http://forums.tombihn.com/general-ba...a-cameras.html

These were colorful bags, that had different color linings in a range of colors that are not available in current bags, unlike the standard light gray shown in the video of the later model Buzz. The inside of the Plum Buzz was a beautiful Sapphire Blue which provided great visual contrast.

There were a number of two-tone Buzz backpacks in the later models after the initial release (Black/Steel/Sapphire, Black/Kelly/Steel, and Black/Crimson/Navy shown below)

Remembering the Buzz-imageuploadedbytapatalk1427772997-322491-jpg

This carried on through the later redesigned Buzz. There were some great pictures of @maverick's larger Black/Crimson/Navy Buzz on the playground that are now broken forum links. The sling design made it easy to access the back without taking off the backpack with a just a simple shift, and there was a convenient pocket, visible in the top picture, that could be used for mobile phone, music player, or glasses across the front strap. A water bottle was neatly balanced at the side. All in all a great bag.

moriond

Forum Member
    Miami, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Just wanted to add an early forum picture of the Buzz in Plum used as a Camera Bag from the thread http://forums.tombihn.com/general-ba...a-cameras.html

These were colorful bags, that had different color linings in a range of colors that are not available in current bags, unlike the standard light gray shown in the video of the later model Buzz. The inside of the Plum Buzz was a beautiful Sapphire Blue which provided great visual contrast.

There were a number of two-tone Buzz backpacks in the later models after the initial release (Black/Steel/Sapphire, Black/Kelly/Steel, and Black/Crimson/Navy shown below)

Remembering the Buzz-imageuploadedbytapatalk1427772997-322491-jpg

This carried on through the later redesigned Buzz. There were some great pictures of @maverick's larger Black/Crimson/Navy Buzz on the playground that are now broken forum links. The sling design made it easy to access the back without taking off the backpack with a just a simple shift, and there was a convenient pocket, visible in the top picture, that could be used for mobile phone, music player, or glasses across the front strap. A water bottle was neatly balanced at the side. All in all a great bag.

moriond
    Love the color and styling of that sling bag--I guess I showed up about 10 years too late! I agree with the prior comment about devices getting smaller making bags like this attractive again--you never know maybe a new version of this Buzz will appear one day. I'd love a sling bag for travel when I only carry my iPad and not my laptop. Until then I think I am going to try a Ristretto-have my eye on the Navy-UV combo...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've Got Both Versions of the Buzz

I LOVE the Buzz! And I wish Tom would bring these back. Who knows how long mine will last. It has been the perfect, PERFECT bag for me (how many times can one say a product is perfect for their needs?). I got the original: red and black. And, then I got the newer version in gray and black. I still use both but mostly the larger version. I loved my bag so much I made a pilgrimage to Tom's factory in Seattle. I love the workmanship and I love the way he treats his workers. He took the family on a personal tour.

All I can say is BRING IT BACK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast