Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    the Midwest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Burnt Orange DLBC as my new teaching bag!

Okay. So, I know I've been MIA for a long time, but I've been so busy with work that I've only had time to do some lurking. Work is calming down since peak season is over and I thought I'd share my new bag acquisition with you all! I've gone through countless TB bags and I think I've finally found my perfect bag combination. More on some of my EDCs later...right now I'm going to focus on my new DLBC.

As some of you can relate, I've been mildly obsessed with burnt orange since I got my BO DLBP a while back. I'm not a huge orange girl, but burnt orange has seduced me. I've been looking for a new bag to accompany me on my substitute teaching stints a few times a week since my old Timbuk2 messenger bag wasn't really cutting it. I tried the Pilot and the Ego an while I liked those bags, they just weren't winning my heart over. I had been using my trusted Olive/Steel S19 for a while, but I wanted something a little more professional and the S19 was kind of overkill since I like to carry my lunch in my separate dinosaur lunch bag.

Now, when the DLBC was first introduced, I didn't think I needed one. It didn't really call to me since it lacks some of the inner organization that other bags like the S19 have. (I'm a sucker for built in pen holders). But, after a long period of longing for the perfect teaching bag, I decided to give the DLBC a try. None of the colors except for Burnt Orange and Grey really stood out to me. I like neutral colors (Cocoa/Olive MCB, Linen/Steel SCB, Steel/Wasabi A30, Olive/Steel S19, and a Steel Dyneema/Solar S25.), but I have been known to venture out and try different colors here and there (BO/Steel DLBC, Aubergine/Wasabi SE, and a Red Blend/Olive MCB that's on its way to me as I type this). I pulled the trigger on the BO DLBC since I didn't want to look too dull and I wanted something that popped like my personality (I guess my students think I'm really fun and I've developed a reputation in the school district...which leads to more jobs...which pays more money...which lets me buy new bags...). Ahem...anyway..

I received my new DLBC on Friday after school and on my way to my UPS job. That was the longest night of my life. I had already fallen in love with the color but I couldn't wait to get home to test pack it since I was still on the fence about the lack of organization. I finally figured out what works best for me and I've fallen so in love with this bag! So hard. I couldn't wait to actually use it and the. I got a call last night for a job this afternoon! My new trusty subbing sidekick went on its maiden voyage today and I couldn't be happier!

Now for pictures and packing lists!!

The first this I did when I got the DLBC was to add zipper pulls (ninja stealth) and I finally found a use for my ultra suede shoulder strap that I've had for ages!

Right now the vertical pocket is kind of a mystery to me since I don't have an iPad mini, so I just threw my wallet in there. It works well enough.

In the right horizontal pocket (or your left? I dunno. That one there in the picture...) I keep my orange Jackery bar and a 5" lightning cable for my iPhone in a small cork pouch. (This gets transferred to whatever bag I'm using on any of my adventures.)

In the other horizontal pocket, I keep my pens and pencil in the front part of an Olive small DOP. In the back I keep a highlighter, a sharpie, an eraser, lead and some sticky notes with some binder clips and paper clips hooked on them. In the pocket behind the DOP I keep my small notebook for anything I ever need to write down.

The main compartment consists of my leather pad folio for note taking (it also holds school maps, permission slips, attendance sheets, and the director's business card), a folder full of rules and regulations for subs,, whichever novel I'm reading at the time, the "Oh, $%@^" kit, my water bottle, a mini Q-Kit holding lotion and Chapstick, a pocket pouch with my glasses cleaning cloth and a glasses repair kit, and my small clipboard with a small legal pad for miscellaneous notes to myself during class.

Everything all pulled out.

Main pocket all packed up.

It still has a super slim profile even after being stuffed with all of my junk.

Bonus shot of the divas our lunch bag!!

Forum Member
    the Midwest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Dinosaur lunch bag. Nice autocorrect, phone. D'Oh.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you post info on that edition of the LOTR? It looks pretty compact if indeed it has all the books!

Great pictures, and great to hear from you again on the Forums.

Forum Member
    the Midwest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Lord of the Rings Deluxe Edition: J.R.R. Tolkien: 9780544273443: Amazon.com: Books

This is where I bought it from. I originally found it in Barnes and Noble for $30 but figured I could get it cheaper on Amazon.

It has a note on the text, not on the 50th anniversary edition, foreword to the second edition, prologue concerning hobbits and other creatures, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King, appendices, and indexes. It's pretty amazing.
    Last edited by Moosezilla; 03-23-2015 at 04:19 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosezilla View Post
    It's pretty amazing.
    Thank you so much for this link and prompt response. I wonder if there is a similar edition of The Hobbit - this edition of the LOTR looks very well-priced for everything it offers, and so compact, and I like the rounded page edges too.

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is just so much to love about this post, Moosezilla! I don't have the DLBC. I do, however, have the DLBP (in Burnt Orange, no less!). I love my DLBP, and I've even toyed around with getting rid of my Synapse 19 (that is, until I found a great use for the Synapse), but I keep eyeing that Daylight Briefcase!

The thing is, I LOVE the zippers on the DLBP. I can easily open them with one hand. I like that. My Pilot, which I use every week, still requires two handed operation to open.

It is, perhaps, because I have the Pilot, that I hesitate to buy a DLBC. It seems like overkill. But still, that DLBC keeps singing my name!

I enjoyed owning it vicariously through your post. Thanks!

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great review. My Cocoa DLBC is also my favorite bag. It has replaced all my cafe, laptop, briefcase, and portfolio bags. It is my "go-to" bag for EDC, professional and casual travel and office work. It pairs perfectly with my WF, TS and A30 and can travel inside those bigger bags without adding too much weight or taking up a lot of space and is a great 2nd bag/outside carry when I overpack.

The Burnt Orange DLBC as my new teaching bag!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1427154090-979122-jpg
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    the Midwest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @nimikor, the cocoa is beautiful!! My regular EDC is my cocoa/olive MCB and I LOVE that combo! I splurged and ordered the Red Blend/olive after having an itch to get a more bright, summery color since I have a case of the winter blues, but we'll see if I love it enough to keep it. I always feel naked if I leave my cozy apartment without my MCB!

Forum Member
    the Midwest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Thank you so much for this link and prompt response. I wonder if there is a similar edition of The Hobbit - this edition of the LOTR looks very well-priced for everything it offers, and so compact, and I like the rounded page edges too.
    You're most welcome! It's probably my favorite book in my wide collection of novels...it's a great read and it's beautiful!

Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moosezilla, nice to hear from you again. Missed your long and complete posts!! happy teaching.

The Earth, we share.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    The thing is, I LOVE the zippers on the DLBP. I can easily open them with one hand. I like that. My Pilot, which I use every week, still requires two handed operation to open.

@Mausermama, I am so agreed with you about the Zipper. I got my traded Grey DLBC early this month and was really surprise of how smooth the zipper when unzip/zip up. I actually thought it may due to some use and the zipper's experience may differ from one to another. From you, I learnt it most likely supposed to be like this.

Compare to all my Tom Bihn goodies, this is by far the best zipper's experience. Not really sure why either.

I haven't even bring the Bag outdoor yet, so far only test packing and photo session. I couldn't fit my 15.6" Laptop in and I used my Packing Wedge as Document Holders - hence, no use for DLBC yet.

Also, because of that, I'd been thinking lately to get a new 13"-11" or Laptop/Ultrabook/Convertible(2-in-1). Just wonder, anyhow someone using a Dell Latitude 12 7000 - the E7240/E7250?

Add: Oops, I thought @Mausermama mentioned her DLBC. I read wrongly, actually her DLBP. I'd yet to own one either - but thinking to grab one middle of this year - either Burnt Orange or Grey.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 03-23-2015 at 09:15 PM.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shoulder strap on DLBC

Great post and pictures: thank you.
    that is a lot of weight, it feels like to me--especially with the Tolkien tome in it. Is the shoulder strap comfortable?
    Is it possible to switch it out with the Absolute Strap? Does it have hook attachments?
    thanks, shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Moosezilla View Post
    Okay. So, I know I've been MIA for a long time, but I've been so busy with work that I've only had time to do some lurking. Work is calming down since peak season is over and I thought I'd share my new bag acquisition with you all! I've gone through countless TB bags and I think I've finally found my perfect bag combination. More on some of my EDCs later...right now I'm going to focus on my new DLBC.

As some of you can relate, I've been mildly obsessed with burnt orange since I got my BO DLBP a while back. I'm not a huge orange girl, but burnt orange has seduced me. I've been looking for a new bag to accompany me on my substitute teaching stints a few times a week since my old Timbuk2 messenger bag wasn't really cutting it. I tried the Pilot and the Ego an while I liked those bags, they just weren't winning my heart over. I had been using my trusted Olive/Steel S19 for a while, but I wanted something a little more professional and the S19 was kind of overkill since I like to carry my lunch in my separate dinosaur lunch bag.

Now, when the DLBC was first introduced, I didn't think I needed one. It didn't really call to me since it lacks some of the inner organization that other bags like the S19 have. (I'm a sucker for built in pen holders). But, after a long period of longing for the perfect teaching bag, I decided to give the DLBC a try. None of the colors except for Burnt Orange and Grey really stood out to me. I like neutral colors (Cocoa/Olive MCB, Linen/Steel SCB, Steel/Wasabi A30, Olive/Steel S19, and a Steel Dyneema/Solar S25.), but I have been known to venture out and try different colors here and there (BO/Steel DLBC, Aubergine/Wasabi SE, and a Red Blend/Olive MCB that's on its way to me as I type this). I pulled the trigger on the BO DLBC since I didn't want to look too dull and I wanted something that popped like my personality (I guess my students think I'm really fun and I've developed a reputation in the school district...which leads to more jobs...which pays more money...which lets me buy new bags...). Ahem...anyway..

I received my new DLBC on Friday after school and on my way to my UPS job. That was the longest night of my life. I had already fallen in love with the color but I couldn't wait to get home to test pack it since I was still on the fence about the lack of organization. I finally figured out what works best for me and I've fallen so in love with this bag! So hard. I couldn't wait to actually use it and the. I got a call last night for a job this afternoon! My new trusty subbing sidekick went on its maiden voyage today and I couldn't be happier!

Now for pictures and packing lists!!

The first this I did when I got the DLBC was to add zipper pulls (ninja stealth) and I finally found a use for my ultra suede shoulder strap that I've had for ages!

Right now the vertical pocket is kind of a mystery to me since I don't have an iPad mini, so I just threw my wallet in there. It works well enough.

In the right horizontal pocket (or your left? I dunno. That one there in the picture...) I keep my orange Jackery bar and a 5" lightning cable for my iPhone in a small cork pouch. (This gets transferred to whatever bag I'm using on any of my adventures.)

In the other horizontal pocket, I keep my pens and pencil in the front part of an Olive small DOP. In the back I keep a highlighter, a sharpie, an eraser, lead and some sticky notes with some binder clips and paper clips hooked on them. In the pocket behind the DOP I keep my small notebook for anything I ever need to write down.

The main compartment consists of my leather pad folio for note taking (it also holds school maps, permission slips, attendance sheets, and the director's business card), a folder full of rules and regulations for subs,, whichever novel I'm reading at the time, the "Oh, $%@^" kit, my water bottle, a mini Q-Kit holding lotion and Chapstick, a pocket pouch with my glasses cleaning cloth and a glasses repair kit, and my small clipboard with a small legal pad for miscellaneous notes to myself during class.

Everything all pulled out.

Main pocket all packed up.

It still has a super slim profile even after being stuffed with all of my junk.

Bonus shot of the divas our lunch bag!!

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    Great post and pictures: thank you.
    that is a lot of weight, it feels like to me--especially with the Tolkien tome in it. Is the shoulder strap comfortable?
    Is it possible to switch it out with the Absolute Strap? Does it have hook attachments?
    thanks, shiva
    The strap can be switched out with the Absolute Strap but I find that the empty DLBC is so light and such a size that even when full, the regular strap feels just fine. Maybe you could add the Ultrasuede strap pad to the simple strap that comes standard.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Massachusetts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not have thought the bag to look as neat & clean as it does from the outside with everything in there, particularly that thick book. Guess I should know by now when it comes to Bihn bags.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your photos have reinforced my decision to order the DLBC for my everyday bag. It's due to arrive Tuesday after a 2-month wait for Gray. I carry similar things too so it looks like it will work great.

Eire

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast