Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They really are such great photos!! Thanks for sharing.

So ilkyway, the 'bag inside a bag' concept - is it to allow you to switch bags easily? downsize and just carry those items (i.e. when running to lunch)? interior organization where it's otherwise lacking? a spare bag available in case you need to carry more stuff? All of the above? Just curious, I'm relatively new to this concept, and just curious why you choose to organize that way (and I know lots of folks on the forums do this....).

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jagmuse to me it seves two perpuses: I can grap the "inner bag" and go to dinner without having a backpack in the restaurant and the other thing is since I have two organizational pouches in the bottom. This way I just take out the upper bag and all that "stuff" in there is emediatly out of the way to let me get easily to the lower pouches. This way I chan have loats of things in the backpack but do not have to "rumage" around in there to find things.

HTH
    Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that helps! I feel like I'm learning at the feet of organizational masters on this forum (and I always thought I was pretty organized to begin with!!) ;)

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (let me confess something here: I am VERY chaotic! All I learned and adoped about organization was in desparation to trick that inner chaotic into some kind of order)

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ilkway nice pictures. What camera/lenses did you use?

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ilkyway, I see you also snuck in a picture of my Nor-.. I mean your Nordic... SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    steeps I use a Nikon D750 with a 85 mm lense. A bit of an overcill for my skills but I love them together.

Pokilani ;-)

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure if there was a picture about this in the forum I know it was talked about and this is not originaly my idea. But since I am in my Synapse again I wanted to share that I have "hung" an Upper Modular Pocket in there for a conveniond "small stuff pouch". I have removed the hardware on this one that would be used to mount this onto a Smart Alec but that is of cause NOT nessesary for doing this. This one is attached to the main-compartment front pannel of my grey Synapse 25.

Smart Alec versus Synapse 25 -> no endresult-img_2304-jpg

Ilkyway

Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ilkyway, I keep eyeing your Travelers Notebook as it looks so functional. Do you mind if I asked what brand /make it is? (Apologies for the slight derail of thread). Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is the narrow size Creme Brulet in the color dark chokolat fom Chic Sparrow. WenV I love that thing. It is thick leather but supple and the sewn in pockets are great. Mine is so chunky though that if I want to wright something longish in ther, I rather take the insert I want to wright in out :-)

For appointments or short notes it is fine as it is of cause.

HTH
    Ilkyway

Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh...it is very nice, Ilkyway. I love the look and leather especially. Do you find that it is somewhat heavy to carry around? I became interested in this style of journal after getting into Bullet Journaling to manage my tasks. But, I know that if I get something bulky and heavy, I would end up leaving it at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... what to say... mine is a bit hefty weight-wise. I think it was 1 kg when I last weight it.
    I make myself carry it everywhere despite the weight because, as you say: makes no sense if I leve it at home due to weight. Somethimes I think I should size it down, it has a Monthly Calander with a habittracker, a journal, a sort of Bulletjournal and a longterm-notes book wich adds up to 4 seperate notebooks...
    Than I have card-holders in there so all my enshurance-cards and such can live in there too. Not having to have another big wallet makes me think the weight is worth while and I have used all four books when out and about. But still, I can see the crazyness in shlepping this thing around.

Ilkyway

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I am not sure if there was a picture about this in the forum I know it was talked about and this is not originaly my idea. But since I am in my Synapse again I wanted to share that I have "hung" an Upper Modular Pocket in there for a conveniond "small stuff pouch". I have removed the hardware on this one that would be used to mount this onto a Smart Alec but that is of cause NOT nessesary for doing this. This one is attached to the main-compartment front pannel of my grey Synapse 25.

Ilkyway
    @Ilkyway, I also wasn't the first to point out that the Upper Modualr Pocket of the Smart Alec can be suspended from the rail loops for a vertical cache (inside either the Smart Alec or the Synapse), but here's another example of this configuration and a quoted excerpt from my post in @giulof's 1 week out of town for work thread that describes the use of his Smart Alec with great photos and packing lists.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Here's an example of the way the UMP attaches to the rail strap loops of a Synapse 25. Note that the bottom of the UMP hangs below the top elastic of the internal pocket for the Synapse in the main compartment:

Of course, you can also move the UMP to the same loops inside your Smart Alec, if you want to place the UMP inside the bag for safekeeping, but if you're using the SA to hold your laptop with a cache with rails, and the bag is very full, you might not be able to do this. This ability to stow the UMP this way inside the SA has been pointed out before, elsewhere in the forums. Having the UMP accessible outside the SA is one of the improvements over the older design of the Smart Alec, since you can access the UMP contents without having to open the bag, and the arrangement does not impact your ability to slide the SA under the Airplane seat in front of you (assuming you have one where the space is not impeded by a large A/V box). This is unlike the case for the Lower Module Pocket, which sticks out from its attachment point at the front of the bag.

However, one of the conveniences of using accessories like the Side Effect is your ability to transfer your packed contents between bags that are conveniently designed to hold that accessory. (I'm thinking especially about the way the Pilot and Co-Pilot compartments are laid out). So I just wanted to point out thay this is also possible with the UMP, and that you can also make use of the rail loops in other bags designed for vertical caches, but with some caveats. The UMP is large (2.5 liters capacity compared to the 1.5 liters of the Side Effect that is 60% of the UMP size, and which itself is 50% larger than the 1 liter capacity of the 3D Clear, Fabric, and Mesh Organizer Cubes). It is closest in size to the 2.7 liter Clear Quarter Packing Cube. So it only transfer conveniently to other larger bags. A Brain Bag would probably work well, but I don't have one of those to try.

In the Synapse 19 that @giuliof has, the UMP might block easy access to the internal pocket, as well as take up too much room for easy carrying of laptop plus most of his priority contents. This is likely to work better for a Synapse 25 or a Brain Bag.

For the Synapse 19, I find using the 1 liter 3DOCs in the second set of rail loops more effective. There have been a number of discussion threads about using keystraps and other devices to secure these accessories, but I've liked using wrist straps (aka handle loops), whose webbing width is exactly sized to be passed through the loops.
    The non-excerpted rest of my post contains photo examples of other ways to secure pouches to the rail loops. However, nowadays I wouldn't try a grimloc for suspending a light item like a Chico bag (very light-weight collapsible nylon shopping bag that folds into a drawstring pouch) from the rail loops. Instead, I'd secure a 1" triangle metal hook (ordered from Parts) to the webbing loop by pinching the webbing together and passing it through the slot in that triangle clip, then I'd either thread a cord zipper pull through the webbing and tie it, or push a 3" Nite Ize Gear Tie through and wrap it closed, as in the example for converting the webbing loops for shoulder straps in the Field Journal Notebook to use with a standard shoulder strap (here shown with an OP/TECH Mini S.O.S. strap as an alternative to the Absolute Shoulder Strap), from my post at the end of the Field Journal Weight? thread:

HTH

moriond

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3