Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smart Alec versus Synapse 25 -> no endresult

These two backpacks have been compared many times. I like both for many reasons and tried to figure out a way how I can go back and forth as smoothly as possible.

Here is an overview of all the things I want in the backpack of the day:

1. Waterbottle and cub to stay hydraited and not having to generate waste when I am out and about.
    2. Pocket Pouch with wastebags for the occaitions when waste... well is generated anyway :-)
    3. Snack Chamber (goes by Snake Charmer too) for spare clothes and a towel (you all know about towels)
    4. Standard Spiff Kit with first aid stuff in one lower pocket, cables and conectors in the other lower pocket and all the other little things needed in the upper pocket.
    5. Small padded pouch with "savety harddrive copy" and a Nano Coyote Pouch with an USB-Stick
    6. Large Shoping Bag (for shopping dah) and very tiny shoping bag for extra volume if needed.
    7. in the Upper Modular Pocket of the Smart Alec (I have two of them: one ON the SA and one IN the S25)
    - two Size one Knitting Tool Pouches
    - one Clear Organizer Wallet
    - Hand Sanetizer
    - that tiny shop bag (not TB)
    8. Little Swift (I just need a small bag that I feel compftable taking into restaurands and such. In this Setup the Cafe Bags do not work. But the LS is exactly right.
    - Midori (Kalender, Notes...)
    - Kindle
    - Medioum Double Organizter Pouch (my Wallet)
    - Side Effect (with the same contend shown before)
    - Tissues
    9. That Guardian Light is in which ever large bag I carry that day.

Smart Alec versus Synapse 25 -> no endresult-berblick-jpg

Here is how I rolled the Large Shop Bag and secured it with a small Keystrap, this "package" goes in a side pocked either of the SA or the S25

Smart Alec versus Synapse 25 -> no endresult-large-shop-bag-jpg

Smart Alec versus Synapse 25 -> no endresult-shop-bag-s25-jpg

Here is a look in the packed Synapse 25 you can see the Upper Modular Pocket attached to the front pannel and the Swift standing on top of the Snack Chamber that is at the bottom of the main compartment. The Standart Spiff Kit is in the lower front pocket attached with a large Key strap through one of the handles and on each side via O-Ring.

Smart Alec versus Synapse 25 -> no endresult-s25-loaded-jpg

And here with everything in its place. The side Pocket with the Penloops is nearly empty appart from my carkeys. The Waterbottle and the Cup are (dah) in the Waterbottlepocket.

Smart Alec versus Synapse 25 -> no endresult-s25-full-jpg

And now... lets have a look how this load works out in the Smart Alec...
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Smart Alec

Everything you see in the first picture on the minitramp (minus the backpack of cause) now goes into the SA:

Here you see, what is in the Little Swift while that is in the backpack. You can see, that the bag is not full but it has the things I need for a fast grap and go.
    Smart Alec versus Synapse 25 -> no endresult-little-swift-jpg

Here is the Snack Chamber and the Standart Spiff Kitt at the bottom of the SA this provides a kind of plato for the LS. The SC sits against the backpannle. That iberian keystrap with the wissle is attached to the Spiff Kitt to make the content of a First Aid kit visual.

Smart Alec versus Synapse 25 -> no endresult-sa-base-jpg

Now the LS sits on top and everything in it is super easy to grap. Since the Smart Alec has more depth to it the bottle and cup sit there too. Next to them there is spare room. The two inner pockets of the lid are empty here.

Smart Alec versus Synapse 25 -> no endresult-sa-loaded-jpg

This is the fully packed Smart Alec. The UMP contains the same as in the S25

Smart Alec versus Synapse 25 -> no endresult-sa-full-jpg

As I say in the titel: for me there is no this pack over this pack. Both have advantages. I like how the Spiff Kit fits so well in the bottom Pocket of the Synapse but I feel, that I have more spare room in the Smart Alec just because the room is not so much divided by many pockets. Taking out the LS to get to the Spiff Kit is not trouble since it slides in and out just so. The only "problem" I always had with the SA is: I miss the convenient bottle pocket SO MUCH. I know I could have one by adding the Lower Modular Pocket. But on a day to day basis I feel that is a touch too much.

I know I will go back and forth and back again since I am a "bag-routator". But I thought you might enjoy and maybe want to share some thoughts about this.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ilkyway, you take this out everyday? Am I right in thinking you are a teacher? You are so organized, and, it's a LOT of stuff!

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teacher? No
    Crazy Bag Lady? Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Teacher? No
    Crazy Bag Lady? Yes
    I thought I was a crazy bag lady. You have kids so I guess you do a lot of running around.

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know you have the Snack Chamber in the wrong pocket in your S25 don't you? You MUST put it in the bottom pocket ..... it's the LAW!!! :p
    Last edited by ceepee; 05-21-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    @ilkyway, you take this out everyday? Am I right in thinking you are a teacher? You are so organized, and, it's a LOT of stuff!
    Correction ..... she APPEARS organised ..... try asking her where her Oyster card is ..... :D

Italy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pictures and post Ilkyway. :-)

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ceepee is right: I take any excuse to use as many bags as possible but that does not leave me organised.

Ceepee is wrong: The Snack Chamber is a much better base for the Little Swift and the items in it are less often used.

By the way I refear to myself as THE Crazy Bag Lady.

Ilkyway

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    You know you have the Snack Chamber in the wrong pocket in your S25 don't you? You MUST put it in the bottom pocket ..... it's the LAW!!! :p
    But the snacks will get smushed this way. I think it's only the LAW if it's being used as a charmer.

@Ilkyway is organized, but @ceepee is right in that she can't keep track of an Oyster card. Or postcards. :)

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful pictures, Ilkyway!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    But the snacks will get smushed this way. I think it's only the LAW if it's being used as a charmer.

@Ilkyway is organized, but @ceepee is right in that she can't keep track of an Oyster card. Or postcards. :)
    LOL, i Forgot about the postcards. Oh ...... wait ..... so did @Ilkyway ;)

The key is to pack non-smushable snacks :)

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not know how you handle snacks but I have slim bars of Chocolate (and as we are talking about forgetting here: forgot to include one in my pictures...) and thouse do not need a big Snack Chamber. AND they need to be as easily accessible as possible and that means: they go into the Little Swift.

;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would seem chocolate would be most easily accessible in an outside pocket!

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bag rotator too, but I'm going between an Ego (for work), an S19 (most non-workday EDC), an S25 (non-workday EDC with extra stuff, like swimming gear), an SCB (because CRIMSON) or LCB (for "grown up" EDC). I inevitably would forget one or two things every time I switched bags. My solution has been to have one of my essential items in each bag (pen, mini pocket knife, flashlight, reusable shopping bag, etc) along with activity-specific stuff (work papers in the Ego, etc), and then a size 2 TSS with my one-of-a-kind items (driver's license, debit and credit cards, Kindle, notebook) that goes from bag to bag along with my keys. So far, so good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast