Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Singapore
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seven Days in San Francisco with the A30 and NFTD

Seven Days in San Francisco with the A30 and NFTD-sf_june_2015_001s-jpg

This was a short trip to San Francisco (a good 18-20 hours from Singapore) for Apple's 2015 WWDC. I wish I had the time to stay longer but a family vacation to another island resort was already planned after this event, so I made the best of it and stayed in San Francisco for seven days.

I took an under-packed A30 with me for the clothes and new MacBook 12-inch, and the NFTD for my camera gear, which consisted of a Fuji X-T1 with the 10-24mm, the 16mm f2.8, the 56mm f1.2, and an X100T. This was my first time taking the NFTD on an intercontinental trip.

Seven Days in San Francisco with the A30 and NFTD-sf_june_2015_002s-jpg

The bags were awesome for the trip. I backpacked the A30 and carried the NFTD with the Absolute strap.

The NFTD fit under the seat in front of me on the plane and provided easy access to my stuff, and the A30 had no troubles in the overhead bin. Though most of the time, the bags were placed above because I was flying Business this time. Both bags fit into the United sizer for cabin bag and personal item. I put the bags in the sizer to satisfy my own curiosity.

Seven Days in San Francisco with the A30 and NFTD-sf_june_2015_003s-jpg

I stayed mostly in the Mission District, in a lovely AirBnB loft apartment, and just spent long hours walking and eating there, since I have already visited all the traditional touristy places in previous trips to SF. It was lovely to have a Cubano and Cappuccino at La Taza's for lunch, or just chill out at places like Philz Coffee on Folsom for breakfast.

Seven Days in San Francisco with the A30 and NFTD-sf_june_2015_007s-jpg

Mission isn't as scary as it used to be many years ago when I was here as a teenager, and it has become a gentrified hipster place, though it still has tons of attitude.

Seven Days in San Francisco with the A30 and NFTD-sf_june_2015_004s-jpg

I enjoyed walking around San Francisco and finding random things like bands performing at street corners.

Seven Days in San Francisco with the A30 and NFTD-sf_june_2015_005s-jpg

Breakfast at Brenda's French Soul Food at Polk St was a filling affair. I got there early on a Sunday morning and avoided the queue that came soon after.

Seven Days in San Francisco with the A30 and NFTD-sf_june_2015_010s-jpg

I also loved the friendly staff at Bi-Rite Creamery at 18th St, and could not resist a Banana Split with their popular salted caramel ice cream. That ended up being my dinner, because I was too full to eat any more after that.

Seven Days in San Francisco with the A30 and NFTD-sf_june_2015_006s-jpg

I ended up at Sausalito one fine Saturday, simply because I was at the Ferry Terminal to visit the weekend market and decided to jump onto a 11.55am ferry just for fun. Then while in Sausalito, I noticed they had a weekend-only shuttle bus to Muir Woods for only $5, so I thought, why not?

Seven Days in San Francisco with the A30 and NFTD-sf_june_2015_008s-jpg

I remember coming here as a kid, and later on my honeymoon. Muir Woods and her giant redwood trees are still as lovely as ever.

Seven Days in San Francisco with the A30 and NFTD-sf_june_2015_009s-jpg

I told the wife about my little adventures and she made me promise to take her back here. Next time, I shall try to stay longer than a week, for sure.

The A30 and NFTD travel combo was perfect for this trip, and would have been more than enough for two or more weeks as well. I managed to squeeze a pair of San Antonio Shoes (SAS) that my mom loves and asked me to buy, into the A30 too. Having no checked luggage also meant breezing through all my airports like Singapore, Narita and SFO.

San Francisco, I shall return for you.
    Last edited by mrbrown; 06-23-2015 at 04:16 AM.
    @mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Original Halcyon A45, Navy and Burnt Orange A30s, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy DLBC, Navy Pilot, Navy and Burnt Orange Co-Pilots, Navy, Burnt Orange, Nordic and Black Halcyon Side Effects, Burnt Orange, French Blue and Nordic Halcyon DLBPs, Linen SCB, Nordic Halycon S25, Nordic Halycon HsJ, Burnt Orange Maker's Bag, and Burnt Orange, Navy and Original Halcyon S19s (yes three, because they are THAT awesome).

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love your travel posts, @mrbrown. The pictures and commentary are wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

South Carolina, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This post makes me super excited! I'm headed to San Francisco / Napa next week! It'll be my first time in California!
    Aeronaut 45 & Night Flight TD - Aubergine / Wasabi
    Small Cafe Bag - Burnt Orange

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the good memories your post stirred up. I lived in The City for a few years right after college and still miss it.

Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great travel essay and really love the pictures!! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love all of those pictures! Definitely makes me want to travel down there now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jalegg View Post
    This post makes me super excited! I'm headed to San Francisco / Napa next week! It'll be my first time in California!
    I've never been to the west coast. Atlantic, yes. Want to see the Pacific, though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mrbrown great photos! I've visited Mission many times and enjoy the culture there. Really enjoy the work you put into your posts.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post showing off my city and your bags! Bi-Rite salted caramel is super. Thank you for showcasing SF - including Philz!

Singapore
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A longer version of this photo narrative can be found at my Exposure site: I Left My Heart in San Francisco by Kinmun "mrbrown" Lee - Exposure

Thanks!
    @mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Original Halcyon A45, Navy and Burnt Orange A30s, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy DLBC, Navy Pilot, Navy and Burnt Orange Co-Pilots, Navy, Burnt Orange, Nordic and Black Halcyon Side Effects, Burnt Orange, French Blue and Nordic Halcyon DLBPs, Linen SCB, Nordic Halycon S25, Nordic Halycon HsJ, Burnt Orange Maker's Bag, and Burnt Orange, Navy and Original Halcyon S19s (yes three, because they are THAT awesome).

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seven Days in SF

great pictures. I was in the Mission district recently: it has changed beyond recognition. Twitter dominates a whole block, and the huge Market store made me do a triple take. It was three times the size of a Whole Foods (and I live in DC); and had so many eating spaces within there. Quite something else. And there seemed more homeless folk. I don't know.

A question though for you: what is the Air B&B you stayed at? you can inbox me the information.

Many thanks
    shiva

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrown View Post
    A longer version of this photo narrative can be found at my Exposure site: I Left My Heart in San Francisco by Kinmun "mrbrown" Lee - Exposure

Thanks!

Forum Member
    Southern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great thread. thanks.

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, your photos are STUNNING!!! Thank you!!! It was like going traveling, and I live near SF, even!! lol

Mission isn't as scary as it used to be many years ago when I was here as a teenager, and it has become a gentrified hipster place, though it still has tons of attitude.
    You aren't kidding about the Mission district. Actually, its being gentrified has been a HUGE issue for the long-time residents there. When you are scraping by paying $800 a month rent on your squallor apartment, and some 26-year-old engineer from Twitter earning $120,000 moves into the neighborhood paying $3,000 for his one-bedroom unit, it makes all the landlords see green. They start kicking out the poor people (the ones who add flavor to the community) so they can build fancy apartment buildings.

In fact, things have gotten so bad that a local tenants association has helped to draft a bill to create a housing moratorium for the Mission: Housing Moratorium In San Francisco?s Mission District Qualifies For November Ballot « CBS San Francisco

So yeah. The hipster invasion is kinda cool but also uncool in some respects.

I remember coming here as a kid, and later on my honeymoon. Muir Woods and her giant redwood trees are still as lovely as ever.
    I LOVE Muir Woods.

Speaking of gentrification and overdevelopment, they're changing things at Muir Woods, and going to a reservation system. Next time you visit us in the Bay Area, you might need to plan a bit in advance: Wildly popular Muir Woods to start requiring reservations - SFGate

Northeast US
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!
    Your photos are stunning, @mrbrown!! I really enjoy seeing the world through your lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.